Solstice from Sydney - French Polynesia - Hawaii pictures report (Apr 8-25, 2013)

thamanrp

Terry - are you sure they are at the same price? D20 should be a newer camera between the two. Nikon actually have AW110 now (though it's not much of an upgrade from AW100) and I saw it at Costco. So, AW100 should be a lot cheaper now, probably around $200. I actually used AW100 and it was not too bad. But if I have to pick between AW100 and D20, I would pick D20 for sure (newer and easier to use for underwater). I shot some pics and a video with AW100 on our Iguazu Falls trip. You can see some sample of the video here:

Appreciate the update on the new Nikon AW110. Really liked your video from your Iguazu Falls trip. Fun and interesting!! Great quality from that camera. Nice editing to put it all together.

For my limited needs/purposes, I am not sure the differences between the AW100 versus AW110 are worth the added costs. Have looked at the mix of options with Olympus Tough TG-820, Canon Powershot D20, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 and the Nikon Coolpix AW110. Good to have choices. Will need to research more and figure out the best "value" to fit my interests. Wonderful added info and insights.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,171 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi there. I just started reading your review - great photos!. My family was suppose to be on this cruise but due to a death in the family we had to cancel. We hope to rebook this same itinerary at a later date so I'm really enjoying your beautiful photo review of your trip. I'm not sure if anyone else asked this question already but I wanted to know if Celebrity offered any laundry service (wash & fold) during this long cruise. If so, how many times. As there is no laundry facility onboard the Solstice, I'm worried how to keep packing to a minimal but have enough clean clothes to wear on board especially when travelling with a young child. Thanks for your help.

Hi cidymom

We weren't on this cruise but we were on the Solstice for 35 days this last Jan., Feb., and March. They never offered a "by the bag" special because I was looking for just that. We became Select on this cruise and got a coupon for $20/bag laundry from that, though.

Since you're traveling with a small child I would ask the cabin steward if he/she could get you some kind of coupon to help out.

Also, ask at Guest relations . I found the staff really tried to be as accommodating as possible!

Sorry, but that's the only suggestion I can think of .

I was wondering more along the lines of whether they have "wash by the bag" specials like on other cruise lines. It will be our first Celebrity cruise so I don't think we qualify for any vouchers/discounts. Thank you.

There were no special during our cruise. As Karen was saying above you can try to ask the cabin steward for the coupon. When we checkin to our room, someone left the coupon in the drawer and the steward didn't throw it away either. So, I'm sure they know to keep the coupon book.

Appreciate the update on the new Nikon AW110. Really liked your video from your Iguazu Falls trip. Fun and interesting!! Great quality from that camera. Nice editing to put it all together.

For my limited needs/purposes, I am not sure the differences between the AW100 versus AW110 are worth the added costs. Have looked at the mix of options with Olympus Tough TG-820, Canon Powershot D20, Panasonic Lumix DMC-FT4 and the Nikon Coolpix AW110. Good to have choices. Will need to research more and figure out the best "value" to fit my interests. Wonderful added info and insights.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,171 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks! I thought you might like the video :-) But not sure if the music suits you (it's Cold Play). Yeah, I don't think it's worth the cost to pay for the AW110. The main difference is the wifi feature. Though nice gadget to have but Nikon app is horrible (Canon app is a lot better). So you can't really do anything with the wifi other than the basic features such as taking pic and transfer (can't change any settings, etc). Also, please beware that Panasonic now also have FT5 (I almost bought that too but they couldn't ship in time for my cruise). If you know someone that have Panasonic EPP (employee purchase plan) price is very attractive for the FT5. It's very common for company to have Panasonic EPP (both my wife and mine offer pana EPP).

Absolutely stunning photography! You are truly talented! Thank you so much for sharing these amazing pictures.

Thanks yvonneh!

I enjoyed doing this report and specially reading all of your comments. As I have said many times, thank you so much for all of your kind words. It really helps during all the work that I have put in (sorting, editing, fixing/enhancing, uploading, and sharing) to know that someone appreciates the work.

I hope this report helps you in someway be it planning for the same destinations, itinerary or for reminding you of your past trip. The pictures I posted here are just a small portion of what I have posted on our Picasa web album. You can find the link to our web album below. All of the pics from this report are geotagged with all of the camera settings. So, if you were wondering about the location of where the pictures were taken or if you want to capture the similar shot you can see it on the map and go to that location yourself.

I’m normally not a frequent visitor to CC board (which I should) unless it’s during the planning or post cruise to help answer some questions. Since we used most of our vacation days on this cruise it may be a while before we take another cruise. But I hope to see some of you on our future cruise. Thanks again and until my next cruise or report…”Ciao and keep onnnn…travelling” (Rick Steve likes to say this)

Our Picasa web album:

Picasa Web Album

I recommend checking out our Iguazu Falls or Machu Picchu album specially if you have never been there. Here are some samples :-)

600_4626.jpg

600_5604.jpg

600_5733.jpg

600_6706.jpg

600_6360.jpg

600_6387.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Rick

Should you get back to this thread ... We have complimented you before regarding your wonderful photos. A good friend is moving into a residence where he does have a view of Sydney Harbour and we immediately thought of your photos as a house warming gift. I hope you don't mind but we had one put on canvas .Unfortunately the low resolution copied from the CC website did not do it justice. Can you help us out? Many thanks! (rghowes@yahoo.com)

Hi Rick

Thank you so much for this photo review. The photos are truly stunning!

We have just booked on Solstice for the Transpacific in October in reverse order to your cruise, with NZ instead of Noumea. Your photos have increased our excitement & anticipation & are also helping us to plan our shore days.

• 2 months later...

You did such a wonderful job on these photos, and I have been to Papeete and Morea! I had forgotten just how beautiful these places are, and look forward to seeing them again in the next few years. Celebrity owes you a commission...

We are thinking about a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on HAL with some of the same ports. We love to rent cars too and will certainly book them in advance.

Re those rentalcars, did you get roadmaps or did you bring them yourself?

How did you know what was interesting/worth a visit before, checking e.g. tripadvisor ? We know Hawaii, but all other ports are new to us.

One of the best reports ever; a lot of photos, not too much text.

You know your photos are beyond good when someone tells you "they are actually not that good".

None of us ordinary photographers get that comment ;)

I've written reports myself so I know the effort they take.

Thank you very much for this excellent experience. This is a cruise we need to take. Need.

Have a good one.

Cheers!

I haven't been back to CC for a while, but WOW, I thought this thread is dead already. Thanks everyone for the kind comments!

Some answers to your questions...

We are thinking about a Hawaii/Tahiti cruise on HAL with some of the same ports. We love to rent cars too and will certainly book them in advance.

Re those rentalcars, did you get roadmaps or did you bring them yourself?

How did you know what was interesting/worth a visit before, checking e.g. tripadvisor ? We know Hawaii, but all other ports are new to us.

I just print screen the map from google, just in case. But the road is very simple specially in Moorea where there is only one road around the island. Also at the rental car office they would have a tourist map that would have enough info of the map. I normally use Tripadvisor and Frommers for "suggested itineraries".

One of the best reports ever; a lot of photos, not too much text.

You know your photos are beyond good when someone tells you "they are actually not that good".

None of us ordinary photographers get that comment ;)

I've written reports myself so I know the effort they take.

Thank you very much for this excellent experience. This is a cruise we need to take. Need.

Have a good one.

Cheers!

Thanks Sinny! This is a great cruise with all the interesting destinations in one cruise. You can't miss it if you can get away (from work) for three plus weeks.

Edited by thamanrp

I'm just wondering how easy it was to visit actual resorts (like the Hilton) in Moorea or Bora Bora? How do you go about this? I'm on the Millennium cruise next month (Honolulu to Sydney via Tahiti). I've actually booked 4 hour round island tours on both islands, but would love to actually see the overwater bungalows up close.

Have just come across this thread and your stunningly beautiful photos.

You have made a journey for us with your photos before we even get there, as we are booked Honololu to Sydney next year. So this was a REAL TREAT, THANK YOU so much :)

Great pictures! This was the middle of our five back to backs from Auckland to Seattle and your shots put mine to shame.

To the person who asked, it is very easy to use the hotel beaches but my husband thought the snorkelling was much better from the park next to the Hilton.

• 1 month later...

Wow, amazing photo's. Have a cruise booked on the Solstice from Sydney in January 2015 and currently looks like I have to cancel that one. Seeing these photo's I sooooo do not want to change this cruise and stay with my original plan.

Fingers crossed for that.....