Belfast Tour Operators--Specific Information?

I’ve been researching Belfast for tours and seem to be unable to find DETAILS from tour companies. All of the websites give a title of the tour (Giant’s Causeway or Political Tour) but they don’t talk about how much time you’re on tour, what sites are included, what the details are on pick-up or drop-off, if they are scheduled tours that you join or if they’re private tours. There is no information on payment terms (prepaid or day-of-tour). Some have pricing like “From 29 Euros, minimum price 200 Euros," with no explanation. All seem to want you to fill out a booking form.

Is this customary for Northern Ireland? I’ve never seen such “generalizations” among tour operators in any other area of the world. Most will list what is included on the tour and the amount of time you can expect to spend, as well as the absolute cost, whether it is for one person or a dozen.

It’s not really recommendations that I’m after, since there’s plenty of feedback out there. Instead, I’d like to see what is available, what is the time investment and the cost, then decide who I want to pursue further. Anyone have any hints on where to get more straightforward information for Belfast?

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a British Isles cruise. One of our stops was Belfast. We used Odyssey Coach Tours. Excellent tour, excellent guide. We booked the tour ahead of time online. Paid in advance. They picked us up at the pier next to the ship and dropped us off at the pier in plenty of time for sailaway. They can add you to a tour they already have planned (Giants Causeway) with others from the ship who booked ahead of time. They can also do a private tour. If you wanted to post on Cruisecritic you are interested in doing a tour of "specific itinerary" and approximate cost to see if others are interested in joining you. Odyssey can customize a tour for you and your group. They are reasonably priced and their customer service is excellent! James was the person I always emailed. He was very good about responding back right away. We met him in person at the dock too. Great guy! http://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/giants-causeway-tours/

I've noticed the same "generalness" in many of the tours. I want to go to the Giant's Causeway and Carrick a Rede. McCombs and Odyssey coach tours both sound like they will meet my needs, but one, when specifically asked, mentioned that they required at least 16 people to operate the tour. Since we're on the only ship in town that day, only have 1250 pax, are in Belfast unusual hours, and will probably have a fairly well-traveled, sophisticated group of passengers who will have drivers waiting for them for private tours, I'm a bit worried that 16 people won't sign up. Perhaps I just worry too much, however!

I am planning to ask these questions of the various companies:

1. About how long do you spend at the Causeway?

2. About how long do you have at the bridge (I've heard it takes a while to even walk down there - 1 mile!)

3. Do you go along the Antrim (east) coast at all, or just shoot straight up and down on non-coastal roads?

4. Do you have a minimum of people you need to make the tour a go (this is for coach tours; don't think it applies to cab or small group tours).

5. Does the tour include admission - Carrick a Rede bridge; Causeway Visitor Center (if you want audio visual), etc.?

6. What are your payment/cancelation, etc. terms?

Here's info I've compiled. I have no idea about the reputation of these companies, and also can't guarantee the validity of the information, as I'm just sharing what I've researched. I'm hoping to finalize my plans soon, but right now, am keeping my options open. Here are my notes to myself:

See email recd early Jan. about McComb coach tour, plus Odyssey below; here’s what received May 28 from Lynchpin: He is busy that day, but friend Gerry Christian will take the two of us for $260. If can get 4 others, perhaps he will do it for about $60 each. One cab site (valuecab.co.uk/taxi-tours) will do 4 people at $67 per person (Causeway & Bridge; pick up at “your hotel”). 6 seaters also available. There’s also http://www.fonacab.com/tours.asp ($46 pp with only Causeway, $49.25 with Bridge; not sure how many people they will take – look at more!) Doesn’t seem to be email address, just phone.

Lowell Courtney

Lynchpin Tours, 4 Dhu Varren Gardens,Portrush, N.Ireland BT56 8LW

Tel. (+44) 028 70823232

Mobile: 07974 663136

http://www.lynchpintours.com

Blog: http://lynchpintours.*******.com/ - He’s person who recommends Gerry Christian.

Look at this site: http://www.premiertoursireland.com/Giant's-Causeway-and-Coast.aspx

Also look at http://www.belfastattractions.co.uk;

Viator is cheap, but leaves at 9:30, so doesn't work for us. Paddywagon Tours is a possibility but there are a few negative reviews. Checked shoretrips.com but they don't have any good alternatives. Public bus (express) leaves too early for us, and later ones take too long.

Also checked http://www.giantscausewaytours.ie (65 euros) but they leave very early. Maybe try: Bespoke Tours (Jim Dickson; http://www.bespoke-tours.com)

http://www.irelandbelfast.com/index_files/tour.htm - expensive, private tours only, but he did provide info on 2 cab companies above.

Black Cabs tour to Causeway is 259 pounds per taxi, or $94 if have 4 people. 7hr. Seats 5 ($79)

Odyssey Coach (which is Jim Monaghan) says, “We will put a tour on for that date which will start when ship arrives but need a min. of 16 people to make tour pay.” Didn’t specifically ask McCombs if they need a minimum. I checked “Tours by Locals” but they are fairly pricey.

Roothy, since writing the inquiry, I've signed on with City & Causeway Tours. They are customizing for us (2) and will facilitate others on our ship to join if they/we wish. Prices are about what you mention (but pounds, not dollars, so be sure). They get good reviews on Tripadvisor and they insisted on speaking to us by phone.

They will pick up and drop off at the ship. Attraction entry fees aren't included.

We came to our decision through research of a number of tour companies listed on the Belfast Tourism website, which is VERY comprehensive. http://visit-belfast.com/ I recommend people check out this site and look at all Belfast has to offer.

The proof will be in how the tour is handled and I will come back here and give my review.

Roothy, since writing the inquiry, I've signed on with City & Causeway Tours. They are customizing for us (2) and will facilitate others on our ship to join if they/we wish. Prices are about what you mention (but pounds, not dollars, so be sure). They get good reviews on Tripadvisor and they insisted on speaking to us by phone.

Thank you very much. That's one tour company I hadn't seen, although it may be too pricey, as the prices I quoted were converted to dollars, so pounds would be higher! In any case, it's great to have another well-respected company to explore. I have contacted them and see what happens. As to Trip Advisor, I had forgotten that there is a whole, separate UK version of it, which might yield more ideas and reviews than I already have! Thanks also for the Belfast web site, which I'll explore.

I'm assuming you're traveling after me (early August) but if not, it would be great it you could pop back on here after your cruise to tell us how the Causeway tour (and cruise in general) went!

I just got an email from Allister. He is out of the country with little business email access, but offered to call me this weekend. He explained his prices, and it sounds like I can probably find a few more people to join me and work out a nice, personalized tour for a reasonable price. A few people have recently joined our Roll Call, so I'm now feeling more hopeful that I can find some folks.

I think we will be in Belfast on Aug. 6, so I'm guessing we'll get there right before you. If we hire Allister, maybe I can pop on here and let you know how our day went, assuming you have access to Cruise Critic while traveling! I'm on Oceania Marina July 29 from Southampton, and Ireland is toward the end of our cruise.

Thanks again for the great info.

Glad to hear you made contact with Alister. I HOPE THEY'RE GOOD! At least we can say that they are responsive.

Let's both come back here and give our reviews when we return home for next year's Brit Isles travelers. (One thing I don't do on a cruise, is check Cruise Critic.)

We just returned from a British Isles cruise. One of our stops was Belfast. We used Odyssey Coach Tours. Excellent tour, excellent guide. We booked the tour ahead of time online. Paid in advance. They picked us up at the pier next to the ship and dropped us off at the pier in plenty of time for sailaway. They can add you to a tour they already have planned (Giants Causeway) with others from the ship who booked ahead of time. They can also do a private tour. If you wanted to post on Cruisecritic you are interested in doing a tour of "specific itinerary" and approximate cost to see if others are interested in joining you. Odyssey can customize a tour for you and your group. They are reasonably priced and their customer service is excellent! James was the person I always emailed. He was very good about responding back right away. We met him in person at the dock too. Great guy! http://odysseycoachtours.co.uk/giants-causeway-tours/

Thanks for this information. Unfortunately, they are only doing a tour if 16 people want to travel together. I'm on a fairly small ship, and we're there strange hours, so I'm thinking it would be best for me to just see if I can find a small group tour. It will cost more, but at least I think I can round up enough interest to do that!

In May we used Odyssey Tours and took the Kingdom of Mournes Tour. We had no desire to compete with dozens of buses at the Causeway so we chose this tour. It was probably the best tour in the twenty one days we spent on the Infinity. This tour takes you to out of the way places that buses cannot reach and there was no "timetable", so we got to spend ample time at all stops. Our guide David, was excellent!! The tour description is on their website.

I've just returned from a BI cruise on the Infinity. We used Paddy's Black Cabs for a private tour. We got to decide what we wanted to do. The plan had been to go up the Antrim Coast Road and view the overlook where you can normally see the Carrick-a-Red-Rope bridge (none of us wanted to deal with the bridge). Unfortunately, the fog was so thick that day, there was no viewing. We also went to the Giant's Causeway and the Dark Hedges. We then returned to Belfast to tour the Titanic Museum (buy your tickets online in advance). The driver waited while we toured the museum and then returned us to the ship.

I would highly recommend the Titanic Museum at a minimum.

Archived