Some ports HAL no longer goes to

I don't think it is a matter of "no longer goes to". Hal switches islands in and out. I know I mentioned this before but I am glad Martinque and Trinidad are gone for awhile. That cruise was around entirely too long. It was time for a change.

For a long time Aruba was only on a 10 day partial Canal cruise. It is now on a Southern itinerary that does not go through the canal. I think this is a plus.

One thing I did notice was there is nothing listed as a Wayfarer or Seafarer. As far as 10 day cruises go there is the Southern Caribbean and the partial Canal.

The last time Hal did a 10 cruise to Antigua was 1999. This island would be a nice change.

Hal had St.Kitts on many of 10 day cruises. I can't remember when they dropped it but there is not a lot to do on St.Kitts. This island is not on the top of my list.

I would like to see Grenada in a 10 day cruise. I don't think Hal has offered a 10 day cruise to this port since somewhere around 1997 or 1998. I do know that some of the 14 day cruises out of Tampa had this port.

Yes, Gizmo, Grenada would be nice as well. I love to buy spices in the different islands I go to and Grenanda would be a great port to get some wonderful spices.

I'd also like to go back to Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, without having to do the canal cruise, I thought this port had some great tours.

Totally agree with Gizmo and Doone. We visited Puerto Limon on the Rotterdam this past Dec. Did the Torteguera Canal tour and then a little shopping, but would love to go back again. So many other interesting things to see and do there and the people were especially nice.

Grenada was one of the ports when we were on the Volendam for 10 days in March of '03 and we certainly stocked up on spices. But the constant hawking on the beach and when walking in town was a bit of a turnoff. The four of us were followed for almost an hour by one fellow and no matter how polite we were in declining his offerings, he was quite persistent. We were aware of the economic situation there and we all made it a point to purchase from various vendors so as to spread our $ around. When back on the ship, many pax were quite vocal about their annoyance at the harassment they encountered and Grenada topped HAL's survey list as the "least enjoyed" port on the itinerary. However, we certainly would enjoy making a return visit to that port.

The 10 day itinerary of the Maasdam out of Norfolk went/goes to Antigua. It looks like HAL has taken the scheduling problems Maasdam has had from here into consideration for 2006, and will only offer the 11 day itinerary, which goes to St Kitts.

Cheers

MarkB

Southbound,

Are you sure it was the Volendam on a 10 day cruise? Grenada was not on any of the Seafarer or Wayfarer itineraries.

It is possible the Volendam stopped there over Christmas/New Years or a repo cruise and maybe a ship stopped there on one of those Orinoco cruises.

I think the Rotterdam may have stopped there, on a 16 day cruise.

Hmmmmm......we stopped at Martinique last December on the Zaandam, and are scheduled to stop at Antigua this December on the Maasdam.

I very much enjoy Grenada as a port -- many good times there in the past -- are they up and ready for cruise passengers yet? They were hit pretty badly by last year's storms. St. Kitts and St. Lucia are ports that we have enjoyed and not seen recently on any cruise itinerary that fits our schedules.

GIZMO -- Geez, a senior moment (big time). Did stop at Grenada, but with a different ship (Premier's Seawind Crown) and with the same couple as the Volendam. Good thing I save the cruise docs from each trip; too bad I didn't think to look at them before responding. Methinks maybe I should refrain from posting and only lurk. ;)

GIZMO -- Geez, a senior moment (big time). Did stop at Grenada, but with a different ship (Premier's Seawind Crown) and with the same couple as the Volendam. Good thing I save the cruise docs from each trip; too bad I didn't think to look at them before responding. Methinks maybe I should refrain from posting and only lurk. ;)

Why stop posting?

The reason I asked was I have been looking for Grenada to be offered on a 10 day itinerary for a long time. The only cruises I found it on were either a one time itinerary a repo, or the Old Noordam doing a 14 day cruise.:)

The 10 day itinerary of the Maasdam out of Norfolk went/goes to Antigua. It looks like HAL has taken the scheduling problems Maasdam has had from here into consideration for 2006, and will only offer the 11 day itinerary, which goes to St Kitts.

Cheers

MarkB

Mark - Our 10-day out of Norfolk last year stopped at Antigua too. DH & DS golfed - DD and I did a bit of shopping and she got her hair braided. I thought I would like it more than I did... it seemed extremely impoverished to me.

HAL changed out some of the mattresses there - we watched all the old mattresses disappear from the dumpster on the pier - it took less than 10 minutes.

We really enjoyed cruising out of Norfolk and would definitely consider it again - I know there are folks who don't like the cruise along Cape Hatteras, but we enjoyed Norfolk so much more than we do FLL anymore, we are pretty much sold. I think FLL is just getting way too crowded. JMO. :)

We don't mind the rough seas - have been in a lot rougher than the Maasdam has done in and out of Norfolk.

But DH can no longer be in a car for more than 2 hours - so driving is out.

Flights from our area to Norfolk - small 50 or less passenger planes - NO WAY - have done that from New York and will no longer do it - luggae is not guaranteed to be there until 1 - 3 days later - from our area!.

Archived