Fudge Shop in Juneau/Skagway

SilvertoGold

Have walked past the Juneau Fudge Shop so many times! Finally decided to buy some to take home.

Would appreciate some recommendations on what to buy, especially not-too-sweet varieties and the non-fudge offerings.

There is apparently a Fudge Shop in Skagway, too, which I have never encountered. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks for any and all imput!

There is apparently a Fudge Shop in Skagway, too, which I have never encountered. Anyone familiar with it?

Thanks for any and all imput!

Yup, stopped into the Skagway fudge shop a couple of times. Good fudge but it is on the sweet side (at least the flavours I chose were).

Have tried both and I prefer Juneau Fudge Shop (nuts or no nuts)....

Will compare them again on our upcoming trip, but not buy more than two pieces per person, seems like we always end up throwing some out .. unless you have a sealed container (like tupperware) it gets dried out.

Will compare them again on our upcoming trip, but not buy more than two pieces per person, seems like we always end up throwing some out .. unless you have a sealed container (like tupperware) it gets dried out.

Thanks for your post!

From reading their website, I thought you have to purchase a half pound.

Do they sell only fudge?

I always take ziploc bags of various sizes when I travel. They come in handy in situations like this!

Thanks for your post!

From reading their website, I thought you have to purchase a half pound.

Do they sell only fudge?

Half a pound of fudge isn't very much. I know it sounds like a lot, but it's not a huge block.

I've walked past the various fudge shops, but have never bought any. I tend to be in dessert overload on a cruise, and am just not that tempted to spend money on more sugar at that point. I cannot guarantee that I will feel the same way when I am at Disneyland later this week and pass that candy shop on Main Street! :eek:

My all time favorite is Capital City Caramel ~

Smooth, creamy chocolate fudge with caramel swirled throughout, topped with caramel but as the web site states 1/2 lb of fudge is generally 1 slice.

If your with a group I would go for the pound to share (less guilt for yourself :D)

It's the "Great Alaska Fudge Shop" in Juneau. They blow the smell of fresh fudge being made out onto the street and it was impossible not to walk in and buy some...We had it packed up and took it in our carryon for the flight home...We did an assortment (pick-n-choose) and it was :p:p

Is 1/2 pound really the smallest amount you can buy?

I don't recall the fudge company in Skagway, but then again I've never look for it.

The Alaska Fudge Company is the fudge/candy store in downtown Juneau that most people go to (I'm not sure if that is the only one in Juneau or not).

Fudge is sold only in 1/2 pound bricks. I don't recall the exact price, but I think it is about $9 a brick (maybe $8). They sell various chocolate covered fruits and nuts that you can buy in any quantity you like. I apologize, but I forget the price, but I'm thinking about $20/pound for most of them.

Personally, I love their candies. I think they use a high quality chocolate and personally think they are a very high quality product. I usually bring a pound or two home for my wife every year when I go through town.

The fudge is just OK in my opinion. I think the chocolate varieties are worth it personally. The maple varieties are decent, but a bit on the sweet side. While I would very much prefer vanilla fudge, I find their vanilla fudges to be way too sweet and they seem to have a gritty texture rather than a smooth one.

Personally, I think the Alaska Fudge Company is definitely worth a try though. You can't go wrong with the candies they have behind the glass. Some of their fudge is better than others, but none of it is terrible. I will usually drop $50 there every year to buy stuff for the wife and kids.

Archived