We're Back! June 4 Star Princess!

Hi everybody!

Got home at midnight last nite (Sunday June 19) and up this morning at 5AM for work. So I'm exhausted!

I'll be working on a review in the next few days, but in the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have!

Tour synopsis:

Copenhagen - on our own

Stockholm - on our own

Helsinki - on our own

St Petersburg - Red October

Tallinn - on our own

Gdansk - Tours in Poland

Oslo - on our own

We had a great time, and those of you going later this year are in for a treat!

Happy Sailings!

Hey SaylorGirl!

Disembarkation in Copenhagen started at 6:30AM. I reserved a taxi/van for 8am pickup prior to leaving. We got off the ship at 7:45AM with no problem. Taxi was on time and we were at the airport by 8:45. We had plenty of time before our 10:30 flight! The taxi company we used was Dansk Limousine Service. I've got their email address at home if you want it...

Thanks for everybody's info prior to our trip!

Happy Sailings!

I have heard that it is difficult to get a cab to the airport when the ship disembarks but didn't realize you can pre-book. Please share the email address when you have a chance.

A few questions:

1) At what ports did you have to use a local currency? For example, in Estonia, Helsinki, Oslo, can one use Euros as well? We just want to make sure we have some for taxis, boat rides, admissions to places not covered by the Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Oslo cards, purchases from street vendors, etc...

2) How was the entertainment on the streets at different ports? Which one (s) were your favorite ports?

Thanks, Kim

Glad you had a great time - I cannot wait to go. I do have a few questions and request.

I too would like the Dansk Limo service information. How much did it cost?

Where did you end up exchanging currency in each port?

We are planning the same trip - tour in St Petersburg and Gdansk - with Tours in Poland (although Danuta has not reconfirmed with me despite 3 email requests - I'm relying on them to meet us at the dock.) Did you go to Malbork Castle? Was it worth the trip?

We plan on doing the other ports on our own. We are taking Princess transportation into Stockholm.

Any additional information would be great. Thanks again and welcome home.

Susan

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to stay awake for a little longer, so thought I'd try and answer some of your questions. If I sound a little incoherent, please blame it on my lack of sleep....

The email address Dansk Limousine Service is info@limousineservice.dk . The cost for the four of us and luggage was US $120.....$40 less than the Princess transfers. When we disembarked, there were plenty of taxis available. But I'm not one to tempt fate, so I reserved in advance. They required a credit card to reserve, and it was automatically charged on the day of the transport, so I didn't have to worry about paying in DKK.

In most ports, the Euro or USD was OK. However since we toured mostly on our own, we ended up using ATM's in most ports. In St Petersburg, we used RO, and any time we needed rubles, our guide took care of it and we paid her in USD. She was very kind to do this, and it may be dependent on your guide (i.e. for coffee, camera fees, etc). We did use the ship's exchange machine for Poland.....we didn't want to have to find an ATM. We never got more than about $50 worth of the local currency, except for the Euro countries, since we were spending 2 nights in Amsterdam and 3 nights in Paris after the cruise....there was plenty of time to spend any remaining Euros. Any other left over currency we left for the room steward.

We never had to use the Estonian kroon. One tip tho.....there's an old church in Tallinn, right next to the WWII ruins, that's now a museum (I'm too tired to remember the name right now) that we waited for opening time to see, only to be turned away because we didn't have EEK. They would not accept USD or Euro's.

Susan, I would highly recommend getting the Stockholm card. It covered our train ride into Stockholm, entrance to the museums and train ride back for about $35. The Princess transportation is much more expensive, and you have to ride on a bus with 4 million other people! Just make sure you watch your clock, and you won't have any problems.....

In Poland, we did the Tricity tour with Tours in Poland. We didn't have time to do all that and Malbork too....next trip I guess. You'll enjoy Poland, we were pleasantly surprised. And don't miss Oliwa Cathedral! The organ pipes are fabulous! When we first went into the cathedral, the organist was playing some muted boring song....our first thought was "what's so special about this".....then all of a sudden he started with the theme song from Phantom of the Opera. I about jumped out of my shoes!! It was wonderful! Be sure you watch the pipes and surrounding decorations! You won't believe your eyes! And again, Agnes with Tours in Poland was great! (No, I don't work for them.)

In Oslo, Vigeland Park was amazing, the film in the Maritime museum was pretty good, and the Viking Ship Museum was very interesting. Other than that, we just walked around downtown. That was the only port where it really rained, so it kind of dampened (no pun intended) our spirits for touring.

I think our favorite ports were St Pete, Tallinn, and Gdansk. Tallinn was VERY easy to do on our own, and we didn't have the Tallinn card. At this moment, I can't think of anything that the Tallinn card would have saved us any money on.....

Okay, y'all, if you think of anything else, just ask. I think I answered everything so far. If I missed anything, just let me know.....

Happy Sailings!

Hi! Welcome back. We've been following your progress and appreciated your posts during the trip. I copied this from the other thread: I'm intrigued by the fact that you must have docked early at Nynashamn since Leah took the first group at about 6:35 AM. The Star isn't supposed to dock until 7 AM. How early were you at port and was this true at many other ports. Thanks. Marlyne

rnjoel:

Looks like you got a lot in during the few hours your were in Oslo! Did you take a taxi to Vigeland or use public transport. How far is it from the ferry terminal to the pier to take the ferry over to the Viking Museum (ie. can I walk it or should I take public transport). How far was it from the ferry terminal to the Viking Museum?

Thanks for your response in advance

Marlyne, we were anchored around 6AM in Nynashamn, and I heard the tenders start lowering right after that. We were early arriving in pretty much every port, but this was the only one that let us off early. And that was NOT announced shipwide, just in the tender ticket area. We weren't late getting off at any port.

Tone, we took the public tram to Vigeland. You catch it just on the other side of the harbor, a pleasant 5-10 minute walk. There's a great coffee shop just behind the platform where we waited for the tram. The girl inside was very kind....she even left the store for a minute to show me how to use the ticket machine. It's all in Norwegian, by the way. Then we took a cab to the Viking Museum for about 15 Euros, since we were a little disoriented about the public transportation from Vigeland. After that, we walked to the Maritime Museum, which is right next to Fram and Kon Tiki. We took the ferry back to the ship's harbor, about a ten minute ride. You buy your ferry tickets onboard.

I'm awake now after a great night's sleep, so fire those questions away!

Happy Sailings!

Welcome back! In Nynashamn, what time did you line up to exit the ship, and where on the ship did you have to go to take the tender?

Also, any recommendations for what to see and do in Poland? Tallinn?

Thanks!

I reserved a taxi/van for 8am pickup prior to leaving. We got off the ship at 7:45AM with no problem. Taxi was on time and we were at the airport by 8:45.

What was the fare for the tax? Were there many other taxi's waiting? Thanks!

Hi Steve!

In Nynashamn, the Patters said tender tickets would be available at 7AM. I was there at 6:15, the first one. Others quickly arrived. We were on the first "official" tender, which left around 6:50. As I mentioned somewhere on the boards, there was an "unofficial" tender at 6:35, that they let those that were ready go on...possibly the setup tender?? We lined up for the tickets in the Explorer's lounge on Promenade, Deck 7.

The Copenhagen taxi was $120 USD for four of us, in a van, with all of our luggage. We saved $40 for the group over the price of the Princess transfer.

Happy Sailings!

In most ports, the Euro or USD was OK. However since we toured mostly on our own, we ended up using ATM's in most ports. In St Petersburg, we used RO, and any time we needed rubles, our guide took care of it and we paid her in USD. She was very kind to do this, and it may be dependent on your guide (i.e. for coffee, camera fees, etc). We did use the ship's exchange machine for Poland.....we didn't want to have to find an ATM. We never got more than about $50 worth of the local currency, except for the Euro countries, since we were spending 2 nights in Amsterdam and 3 nights in Paris after the cruise....there was plenty of time to spend any remaining Euros. Any other left over currency we left for the room steward.

We never had to use the Estonian kroon. One tip tho.....there's an old church in Tallinn, right next to the WWII ruins, that's now a museum (I'm too tired to remember the name right now) that we waited for opening time to see, only to be turned away because we didn't have EEK. They would not accept USD or Euro's.

In Poland, we did the Tricity tour with Tours in Poland. We didn't have time to do all that and Malbork too....next trip I guess. You'll enjoy Poland, we were pleasantly surprised. And don't miss Oliwa Cathedral! The organ pipes are fabulous! When we first went into the cathedral, the organist was playing some muted boring song....our first thought was "what's so special about this".....then all of a sudden he started with the theme song from Phantom of the Opera. I about jumped out of my shoes!! It was wonderful! Be sure you watch the pipes and surrounding decorations! You won't believe your eyes! And again, Agnes with Tours in Poland was great! (No, I don't work for them.)

In Oslo, Vigeland Park was amazing, the film in the Maritime museum was pretty good, and the Viking Ship Museum was very interesting. Other than that, we just walked around downtown. That was the only port where it really rained, so it kind of dampened (no pun intended) our spirits for touring.

I think our favorite ports were St Pete, Tallinn, and Gdansk. Tallinn was VERY easy to do on our own, and we didn't have the Tallinn card. At this moment, I can't think of anything that the Tallinn card would have saved us any money on.....

Okay, y'all, if you think of anything else, just ask. I think I answered everything so far. If I missed anything, just let me know.....

Happy Sailings!

Thanks Joel, it's nice to know there are people who are willing to "give back" and contribute to the board post sailings! Glad you had a great cruise...

Kim

NancyIL, nope, we only bought the card for Stockholm....and for Paris since we were there three days post cruise. I didn't miss it at all at the other ports. We did the hop on hop off bus tour after arriving in the city by train.

Steve, we were able to disembark in Helsinki right at 8:30AM. We took the hop on hop off bus that was waiting right beside the ship at the dock. If you took the HOHO bus in Stockholm, and are planning to take it in Helsinki, show your Stockholm ticket to the Helsinki driver and get a discount.

Saylorgirl, entrance to the Oliwa Cathedral in Poland was free. Lots of people were coming and going without any regulation. Amsterdam was great! It was our first visit there, and we hope to go back again when we have more time to see everything. And Paris was fabulous as always. We've been there before, and enjoyed it even more this time. There's just beautiful architecture and people everywhere you look. Our last night before coming home, we all went up to Montmartre to watch the sun set over the city and have dinner. A perfect ending to a perfect vacation!

Any more questions??

Happy Sailings!

Steve, we were able to disembark in Helsinki right at 8:30AM. We took the hop on hop off bus that was waiting right beside the ship at the dock. If you took the HOHO bus in Stockholm, and are planning to take it in Helsinki, show your Stockholm ticket to the Helsinki driver and get a discount.

Thanks for sharing your information.

Glad you had such a great time. We will be on the July 24 sailing. My question relates to the disembarkation. It sounds like they are clearing the ship very early. Would you happen to know when the last pax disembarked? Our flight isn't until 2:00 p.m. and I am hoping we won't have to leave much before 9 or so. Also, if using Princess transfers, I understand we will be taken to a hotel across from the airport. I am sure Princess will not provide any food there, but is there someplace where we might buy something to eat? If not, I will take something from the ship since my blood sugar levels sometimes drop resulting in the "shakes" if I skip meals. Thanks for help.

If using Princess transfers why do they take you to a hotel across the road from the airport.

What do you do with your luggage, and then do you just walk across the road with your luggage to check in.

I never heard of that.

Archived