Iceland and Norway

Hey guys I am doing Norway with ports Olden, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen, Alesund, Stavanger, and Oslo. I just wanted to know is Reykjavik, and Akureyri worth going back a second time, or is my Norway itinerary sufficient?

Hey guys I am doing Norway with ports Olden, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen, Alesund, Stavanger, and Oslo. I just wanted to know is Reykjavik, and Akureyri worth going back a second time, or is my Norway itinerary sufficient?

Will this be your first time for Olden, Flam, Geiranger, Bergen, Alesund, Stavanger, and Oslo? As my live/blog below details, we did Flam, Geiranger, Bergen, Alesund, etc., in July 2010. We did Oslo in July 2008 as a part of a Baltics/Russia cruise. Great, interesting places with lots of charm, great sights, etc.

Have not been to Iceland, but the key question I would raise is on whether you want to consider a cruise that goes farther north along that Norway coast to be including the Lofoten Island, the North Cape, Tromso, Trondheim, etc. Lots of great scenery, sights, wildlife, etc., as you go up farther north and above the Arctic Circle in the Land of the Midnight Sun.

Reactions and added info on your background, interests, past travels, etc.?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,597 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Good Afternoon Terry, yes this is my first time to these ports. I don't think I want to go farther because I don't want to sail on a smaller ship, and I don't want to deal with anything colder than Norway. Reykjavik and Akureyri kinda caught my eye and just wanted to know was I missing out on a lot with these two ports.

Good Afternoon Terry, yes this is my first time to these ports. I don't think I want to go farther because I don't want to sail on a smaller ship, and I don't want to deal with anything colder than Norway. Reykjavik and Akureyri kinda caught my eye and just wanted to know was I missing out on a lot with these two ports.

My view is that all ports are "good", it is, however, true that some ports are better or much better than other places. Hard or impossible to do it "all" on just one cruise. Always trade-offs to consider.

With Iceland, you might get about that same cooler weather as northern Norway would have. You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns/ports for their past temperatures in that specific area for each date you are considering in the past. With Iceland, the big question/challenge is the sailing time getting there and back. Going above the Arctic Circle doesn't always mean sailing on a "smaller" ship. Lots of options, but clearly there are more sailing, times and ship just focused on the fjords, Bergen and this lower part of the western Norway coast.

Keep research and let us know any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 106,597 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Iceland is stunning!

IMG_2823-M.jpg

20120713091352340-S.jpg

I lived in Iceland for 6 months nearly 20 yrs ago. Unfortunately, I was there for work and in the winter. I've always wanted to go back in the summer as a tourist -- and this year I finally will. Two days there and I'm so excited.

Trust me, it is DEFINITELY worth doing. We've done a Norwegian Coastal Voyage cruise which was terrific but I would not sacrifice Iceland for additional ports in Norway.

You want to visit Gulfoss (waterfall), the geothermal pool, and the geyser.

You don't need to go to a "smaller ship" to visit Iceland. My husband and I are sailing on RCI Adventure of the Seas to Iceland and Norway in 10 days. Adventure is a Voyager class ship - big!

Don't miss Icelend! We went last year on C Eclipse (inc Norway)and it was a really different experience. Went in August and the weather was really lovely. If you like nature and things unspoiled then its really great. Swimming in the blue lagoon,geysers etc....

Archived