Pirate history

Pirategirlmd

Hello, Looking for recommendations on real pirate history in southern Caribbean: St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia...I have heard of Blackbeard's Castle, but any other suggestion welcome. No booze cruises as there will be children as part of our group. Thanks!:)

It's a pity that itinerary doesn't include Dominica anymore.

A lot of Pirates of the Caribbean was shot there.

I don't know of any Pirate-y things related to those islands. Google should help.

Hello, Looking for recommendations on real pirate history in southern Caribbean: St. Thomas, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan, Barbados, St. Lucia...I have heard of Blackbeard's Castle, but any other suggestion welcome. No booze cruises as there will be children as part of our group. Thanks!:)

There is also Blue Beards in St. Thomas. You can see Blackbeards from it.

The Blackbeard's Castle tour on St Thomas has the world's largest collection of pirate statues. When I took the tour a few years ago, I was impressed with Michael's presentation, because he seemed to be very candid and explained some of the myths vs reality. Not sure if he's still there, because he was in school at the time.

Real pirate history is hard to come by, because there are so few written records and the Caribbean has been occupied by so many countries that spoke and wrote in so many languages. As more of those documents are translated into English, the true picture becomes more accurate.

I never heard mention of pirates on the other islands you're visiting, and it's probably because the other islands weren't neutral ports that allowed anyone access. I recommend the book "Villains of Alll Nations" to get a broader perspective of pirates during the colonial period.

• 1 month later...
Note to anyone interested in pirate history...Blackbeard's castle in St. Thomas was closed in June and for the summer because of the low season.

Does that mean in November it will be high season and open? I saw some great pictures of the statues on another thread; my boys would love this tour. We almost went to the Pirate Museum in Nassau earlier this month, but had a full day already scheduled. The guy dressed as a pirate outside was very piratey! Maybe we can do both in November as we visit Nassau and STT.

If interested in a pirate ship excursion, in St Lucia we took the Brig Unicorn to Pigeon Island, this was used in the Pirates of the Caribbean films as well as in the series Roots I believe. Not sure if it's still in use or not.

There's also Liana's Ranson that does family pirate daysails there.

Archived