extra costs for food

britichick

There will also be some surcharge food places on the new Royal Princess, if that is the ship you are asking about, but at this time no one knows for sure which ones or how much. Stay tuned!

Please be sure to tell us when you return from your Med cruise on Royal in July! :)

LuLu

~~~~

I wonder how these surcharge items will work out for Princess, The IC had many charge for items when it was launched and yet it failed as all items became free (except for Gelleto), only time will tell, but getting passengers to pay for small food items on a ship seems to be a challange for Princess

I could be wrong, but I believe the purpose of the surcharge is to control volume. I know the Sanctuary was originally supposed to be free, but I think they realized after the first few cruises that it was not going to work well that way. A charge on anything decreases the number of patrons, and the volume can be controlled by the pricing.

Obviously extra income is an added bonus for the cruise line.

QUOTE antsp

I wonder how these surcharge items will work out for Princess, The IC had many charge for items when it was launched and yet it failed as all items became free (except for Gelleto), only time will tell, but getting passengers to pay for small food items on a ship seems to be a challange for Princess.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember that too. IC had the best baby lamb chops ... a little plate of 4 for $3. YUM!

LuLu

~~~~

You don't have have to buy a beverage card and you can buy as many beverages on an individual basis as you want. Drinks seemed fairly standard...~$5 or less for a mocktail and a glass of wine around $7-9 dollars. I got fresh squeezed orange juice for breakfast a couple of times and paid around $3 per glass I think.

Other than specialty restaurants which we have hardly ever used, there really isn't much extra as far as food goes. Drink of course cost extra, but you can bring your own soft drinks onboard, and even a couple of bottles of wine. We tend to buy maybe two or three drinks a cruise and that's about it.

Our on board spending costs usually goes towards jewelry for the wife and other gift shop items.

Oh, and if you get room service, I think a few dollars tip is appreciated. (we've never done room service though and like to eat at the designated food locations on the ship).

Remember that if additional charges are of issue, it's possible to eat on a cruise without any additional charges. Alcohol and soda of course have charges, but you theoritically could get by on just water if you didn't want to pay for drinks.

Remember that if additional charges are of issue, it's possible to eat on a cruise without any additional charges. Alcohol and soda of course have charges, but you theoritically could get by on just water if you didn't want to pay for drinks.

Also tea,iced tea,lemonade and coffee are free.

I know that originally the ice cream bars on the Lido decks of the various ships had a variety of different items with charges for each, but eventually they simplified to just soft serve for free, although they do still charge extra ($2.50 on the Island Princess cruise I just got off) for milkshakes if you don't have the UKP.

Archived