port or starboard or aft on eastbound t/a

gordylad

Normally cruise aft and like sunshine would appreciate thoughts thanks

I just did Eclipse TATL. Had a room on port side, got strong sun from about 3:30 to 6:00 pm. Rest of day the balcony was shaded. I was in a RS, deck 10, cabin 1239, port midship on a hump (at elevator lobby area).

The Sun: I think the way it works is that the angle of the sun moves from the southern most point on the first day of winter to the nornthern most point on the first day of summer. Theoretically, the angle of the sun is midway for the spring and autumn equinox. Since the TA's are scheduled eastbound in the Spring and westbound in the fall, there isn't going to be a whole lot of difference in the angle of the sun. Yes because you are travelling in the northern hemisphere and not right on the equator, there will be a slight difference. But it shouldn't be significant from one side of the ship to the other. Because in the Spring you are actually travelling more east-north-east, then you will get the morning sun on the right side of the ship and afternoon sun on the left, and the afternoon sun is more prevelant if you are facing the back of the ship.

View: It won't be a whole lot of difference until you get to Europe on an Eastbound. If going past Gibraltar, and not stopping, you'll want to view the Rock on the left of the ship. Otherwise, you'll be too far from land for very much of a difference in view.

POSH - port out starboard home if travelling from the Uk. So for you eastbound the starboard side will get the most sun. That's if you are lucky with the weather. Our first TA was glorious but the second we were running round a hurricane for most of the trip.

If you like sea days you will have a lovely cruise whatever the weather has in store.

Just off the Silhouette TA eastbound was in 1554, under the overhang no sun, but some cabins had sun in the morning on the starboard side

The sun in April was directly over head at noon , Go aft

Was port side in late Nov from Rome to FLL , a lot of sun all day

We always like the aft on transAtlantics because the ship buffers the wind. We just returned from the eastbound Reflection t/a on the aft, and we had to shut the curtains in the afternoon to keep the sun from over-warming the cabin. It seemed like it was sunny there all the time except maybe early morning.

Just back from a ta on Eclipse and had an aft cabin on deck 9. Sun all day and protection from the wind. Not much of an overhang, so you will not be sitting out there if it rains , but perfect otherwise. If you need shade, this is not the cabin area. Great for sun lovers like me. Hope this helps.

We to are looking at booking a TA. Which has warmer, smoother sailings. East or west bound? There are so many sailings to choose from my head is spinning ;) if I can get the direction figured out that at least cuts back the choices :)

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

We to are looking at booking a TA. Which has warmer, smoother sailings. East or west bound? There are so many sailings to choose from my head is spinning ;) if I can get the direction figured out that at least cuts back the choices :)

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

The only answer is to do both, and do both again :D

Archived