Has anyone had a good experience at Rita's Cantina?

I realize food is a very subjective topic for discussion--but I was really looking forward to some of the dining options on Allure, including Rita's Cantina. I have searched in earnest and it seems as if every review dubs the experience awful, from food to service. Some have said it's worse than Taco Bell. :( Yikes!

Anyone with anything nice to say about Rita's, or do I just cross it off my list?????

It also seems that I read better reviews when Allure first sailed and it has gone downhill over time. I like the idea of the Mexican Fiesta party, and I am not really picky when it comes to food--seems like it would be pretty hard to screw up a fajita or chips and salsa, but from everything I've read thus far, I guess it's possible.....:(

We went to the Fiesta, so that's how I base my experience. Maybe because we're all used to Americanized Mexican food, we don't like that it's different? It was all right (especially after the first Margarita) and they certainly give you a lot. Other than that it was fine. We went with our roll call group and sat at a table for 8-10. It was fun spending time with them.

Now, I definitely wouldn't waste my money or time at the Boardwalk Beach Party on Oasis. We had been for dinner at the Seafood Shack and liked what we had, so decided to go to the Party. The food was terrible!! The only thing good was the ribs, and that's not saying much, especially when it's supposed to be a seafood restaurant! But I still had a good time, dancing on the Boardwalk (especially after the first Margarita ;)).

We ate there for Fiesta night and the food was good. I'm a picky eater and I enjoyed everything that was set on our table to eat. I would eat there again. The Fiesta night was fun...if you are into dancing, singing and doing the limbo. We had 2 kids with us and they like the "virgin" drinks. I will say it's not the best Mexican food, but it is a lot better than Taco Bell.

Thie food was fine, but it is definitely Americanized Mexican food, not the kind you would find at a taqueria. It is nice to go there for a change, especially if what is in the MDR that night isn't too exciting.

I had a decent lunch at Rita's; the fish tacos were the best item I tried and we enjoyed the guacamole too. It definitely is far from authentic Mexican food and the ambiance a tad cheesy - but the food is not bad if you enjoy American take on Mexican cuisine.

If your cruise calls upon Cozumel and you enjoy authentic Mexican food, I highly recommend booking an excursion with Cozumel Chef. This was one of the most fun excursions I have done and I got to sample lots of excellent Mexican street food in non touristy parts of Cozumel: http://www.cozumelchef.com/

I had a decent lunch at Rita's; the fish tacos were the best item I tried and we enjoyed the guacamole too. It definitely is far from authentic Mexican food and the ambiance a tad cheesy - but the food is not bad if you enjoy American take on Mexican cuisine.

If your cruise calls upon Cozumel and you enjoy authentic Mexican food, I highly recommend booking an excursion with Cozumel Chef. This was one of the most fun excursions I have done and I got to sample lots of excellent Mexican street food in non touristy parts of Cozumel: http://www.cozumelchef.com/

Thanks for the tip on Cozumel. Have been so many times I am looking for something new to do. I'm on the Allure Eastern, so no Cozumel this time.

I'm okay with "american" mexican cuisine, but the comparisons to Taco Bell had me a bit worried. Sounds like the Fiesta could be fun, and I suppose anything half way decent is edible after a few margaritas :cool:

Good Dj, Good Food, Service was a little slow, however the fact that our waiter gave us six margaritas, mixed drinks and beers each, instead of just the 3 that was supposed to come with the party, without charging us for them, made up for the wait between choruses.:eek:

We enjoyed our lunch. It was what we expected from a chain such as Don Pablos. There was certainly a lot to eat but after a while it looses its appeal. We would go back.

I assume its canned cruise food prepared by the crew assigned to that venue, not an authentic Mexican chef using his/her family's long coveted recipes.

I am really looking forward to trying it next year....we live in the heart of TexMex country, San Antonio, where there are as many different ideas of what is good Mexican food as there are Mexican restaurants.....and honey, there's one on every corner!:rolleyes: But I am born and bred Texan so it should be interesting....I recently threatened to bring my own seasoning on our Allure roll call:D. If you can't imagine how one can mess up something as simple as salsa or quacamole, you have no idea! I make my own enchiladas, tacos and quac/salsa at home. But I'll be happy to assist if they ask me;)

We were just on the Allure last week. Prior to going on our sailing, we hadn't planned on going to Rita's. But for some reason, we decided to. Let me tell you, we not only liked it, but ended up eating there a second time. First, our server, Lieber (pronounced Labor) was fantastic! First class, attentive without being annoying and left us wanting for nothing. The chips, salsa and queso was decent enough. Not the absolute best we've ever had, but still very good. The Chili Relleno was phenomenal. The shrimp quesidilla was decent. The second time we went, I ordered appetizers. The asparagus was okay, just a little thicker than I care for. The taquitos and 'cigar' appetizers (can't remember the real name) were HUGE and very tasty.

All I can say is, try it for yourself. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Erika

Oh NO! That's was one of the main reasons I wanted to sail on the Allure - I LOVE Mexican food. *sigh*

You live in Texas! LOL. I'm sure you can find something down the road from your house :D I'm over in San Antonio and the LAST place I'm planning to eat on the Allure is Rita's.

Attended the Fiesta . Only because of the people that were with me on the cruise is why I had fun at Rita's Cantina.

Food was a whole other issue. Yes I know food is very subjective but everyone in my group thought it was just so so. The salsa was a commercial brand and not fresh made as one would have expected. Other items were not any better than what one would get a non-Mexican chain restaurant such as Applebee's or TGIF's.

It also seems that I read better reviews when Allure first sailed and it has gone downhill over time. I like the idea of the Mexican Fiesta party, and I am not really picky when it comes to food--seems like it would be pretty hard to screw up a fajita or chips and salsa, but from everything I've read thus far, I guess it's possible.....:(

It is hard to screw up chips and salsa and at the fiesta, that and the margaritas were the only highlights.

We went to the Fiesta, so that's how I base my experience. Maybe because we're all used to Americanized Mexican food, we don't like that it's different? It was all right (especially after the first Margarita) and they certainly give you a lot. Other than that it was fine. We went with our roll call group and sat at a table for 8-10. It was fun spending time with them.

It's certainly not anything like what is served in all of the Latin American countries I've been to! I prefer " authentic" and don't mind well done "Americanized"- this was neither. Of course I am talking about the fiesta, the dining at other times might be better, I can't say. The fiesta is only worth it if you think a party with 3 margaritas and a sombrero hat for 30 bucks is worth it. I did think the party part was "worth it" but I was glad we had had dinner before we went- we didn't eat the food other than the first taste.

We ate lunch at Rita's on the Allure the week of Apr 21. Chips and salsa were fine. We ordered the fajitas for two. Neither DW or I are big eaters. They gave a lot of food. We left quite a bit, but, not because we didn't enjoy it.

Not sure what anyone expects. Had similar fare at resorts in Mexico and Mexican restaurants in Florida. I imagine they don't make it too spicy so it appeals to a wide audience.

I would rather have the corn fed beef from the US than the grass fed beef from Mexico.

Rita's is ala carte. You pay for what you order.

I would rather have the corn fed beef from the US than the grass fed beef from Mexico.

Interesting comment. My business partner has about 30 head of cattle. He tells me that cows stomachs aren't designed to eat and process corn. He only feeds his stock hay and grasses.

You live in Texas! LOL. I'm sure you can find something down the road from your house :D I'm over in San Antonio and the LAST place I'm planning to eat on the Allure is Rita's.

I know!!!! LOL! But on my last cruise I found myself REALLY wanting Mexican food and the closest thing they had was nachos in the Windjammer. :(

Archived