Dining on the summit

chriswat

We are reading very varied opinions on food served in the Main Dining Room. We are sailing in September to New England and are thinking about pre-purchasing a Dining Package for 3, 4 or 5 nights in the specialty restaurants.

It appears that the seafood dishes in the Main Dining Room are not wonderful - friends we are travelling with are great seafood people so this could be a problem.

Any thoughts on the food on the Summit?

We are reading very varied opinions on food served in the Main Dining Room. We are sailing in September to New England and are thinking about pre-purchasing a Dining Package for 3, 4 or 5 nights in the specialty restaurants.

It appears that the seafood dishes in the Main Dining Room are not wonderful - friends we are travelling with are great seafood people so this could be a problem.

We were on Summit in September 2012 to Bermuda and had no issue with food in Main Dining room. We were busy docked in Bermuda so decided not to do specialty dining on this cruise. I cannot recall the fish dishes as I did not order fish. Happy sailing.

Lobster on the second formal night was terrific. We spent two nights (first and last) in the Normandie as well, and had the turbot the second time which was excellent. We were happy with all of the MDR food with the exception of the steak and another beef dish, both overcooked.

We sailed on Summit in Sept 2012 and had no complaints about any of the food in any venue on the ship! We only ate in the MDR a few times but everything was cooked to order and delicious. We LOVED Q-Sine and the sushi/japanese restaurant; we're sailing on the Century on Sunday and I'm bummed that neither of those restaurants is available on this ship! The only restaurant I didn't love was Normandie but that was more because of the "fine dining" aspect (so not my thing); the food was fabulous. If your friends are big seafood fans I would highly suggest eating out in Bermuda for dinner one night if possible. When we were there in Sept, there was a festival & parade happening downtown so we had dinner at a local restaurant on their upstairs patio and the seafood was so amazing - literally caught fresh that day and you could tell! If you'll be docked overnight it's definitely worth exploring the dining options in town (the place we went was in downtown Hamilton); can be pricey but so worth it!

We sailed on Summit in Sept 2012 and had no complaints about any of the food in any venue on the ship! We only ate in the MDR a few times but everything was cooked to order and delicious. We LOVED Q-Sine and the sushi/japanese restaurant; we're sailing on the Century on Sunday and I'm bummed that neither of those restaurants is available on this ship! The only restaurant I didn't love was Normandie but that was more because of the "fine dining" aspect (so not my thing); the food was fabulous. If your friends are big seafood fans I would highly suggest eating out in Bermuda for dinner one night if possible. When we were there in Sept, there was a festival & parade happening downtown so we had dinner at a local restaurant on their upstairs patio and the seafood was so amazing - literally caught fresh that day and you could tell! If you'll be docked overnight it's definitely worth exploring the dining options in town (the place we went was in downtown Hamilton); can be pricey but so worth it!

I believe Sushi is served in the buffet area on the Century from 5-8pm every night....just as it was on the summit

We just returned on the Summit 5-12. The lobster on the 2nd formal night was cooked to perfection. I ordered seafood as often as it was available and it was fabulous. I didn't opt for the sushi on the buffet, as I am not all about sushi that is not made to order. All of our table mates said Normandie was wonderful. All of them said Qsine was way too much food and overhelming.

We were on the Summit in March of this year ... the food was excellent in the MDR & buffet. We did not care at all for the layout of the buffet, or the service, but the food itself was quite good. We did not eat in any of the specialties.

We were very happy with the food in the MDR on the Summit. The lobster was great. The only thing that I had problem with was my Filet Mignon. I ordered it medium rare and it came very well done. The waiter noticed that I was not eating, literally ran over, asked what was wrong, grabbed the plate and quickly brought me a replacement which was closer to medium. The maitre 'd was very concerned and wanted to ensure we knew we could send anything back that wasn't precisely how we wanted it.

Found something wonderful every night we ate there. We also thought the buffet was fine although not outstanding. Can't understand how anyone could walk away hungry.

Although the lobster in the MDR is very good, it will be a warm water lobster tail. You're going to New England!! Get yourself an exquisitely sweet Maine lobster in port.

That said, I was always very happy with the quality of the seafood on the ship. Enjoy!

Just off the Apr 27 Summit Repo cruise. Every night in the MDR, I found plenty to eat. My only comment would be nothing made me go "Wow!" (My sister did eat 6 or 7 of the lobster tails. I ate none. Just wasn't in the mood for it.)

We also had sushi in the buffet. It was ok. (I rhymed.) But, not "Wow!"

On our cruise, my wife asked each night about the seafood and it was always previously frozen, despite being in Alaskan waters. This makes complete sense logistically, but I still wanted to mention it because seafood buffs might be disappointed by that fact.

We were also on the April 27 repo and our experience in the MDR was excellent. We were a group of 14 (table of 6 and 8), so we tried just about everything on the menu. Our waiter, Salem, gave us the chef's recommendation and his personal recommendation every night with VERY accurate descriptions of every dish, including any positives or negatives. Many nights, I changed my mind and ordered something based solely on his recommendation and was never disappointed. We also ate one evening in Normandie. The food was excellent and the service terrific, but for our group, it was more comfortable in the MDR where we didn't have to be as "proper" and quiet :)

Archived