Has Oceania service and quality deteriated?

keelelady

You must consider where the cruise starts. All of the fresh food is loaded at embarkation. I read a review recently on the Celebrity Solstice repositioning to Alaska from Ensenada. They said the food was particulaly bad on the first night. Presumambly, they got some better food on board in San Diego the following night. Didn't the OP's cruise start in Bejing?

I was on that Solstice cruise, and I was lucky enough to eat in Murano that evening, which was fine. But others did complain. The rest of the cruise was ok - couldn't count the number of semi trucks unloading food in San Diego!!!!!

My husband and I did the Nautica Beijing to Bangkok leg in March this year. It was our second cruise with Oceania (first was on Regatta 5 years ago). We had a concierge cabin on deck 7.

The cruise itinery was excellent, however we both felt that the food and service in the main dining room was of a lower standard than we had previously experienced.

There was an extremely poor selection of side dishes with the main courses and the sommelier service was slow despite being reminded several times. This was the opposite of our normal experience in restaurants where sommeliers offer wine lists and service once customers are seated.

Perhaps their tardiness had something to do with the fact that we had purchased a premium wine package. However this did cost us about 1500 pounds stirling. We complained when we received a customer satisfaction survey early in the cruise and the lead sommelier assured us that things would improve , however nothing changed.

I find it amusing when people talk about Oceania as offering such a wonderful product and can only say that they need to look at their service or customers such as myself will definitely shop around.

You complained.

Nothing changed.

We shop around.

Thank you for posting about service.

We love Marina and Riviera (our favorite ships now), but would never sail on any of the Oceania "R" ships. We'd stick to our other favorite cruise line, Regent, or try Seabourn of go back to Silversea first.

We love Marina and Riviera (our favorite ships now), but would never sail on any of the Oceania "R" ships. We'd stick to our other favorite cruise line, Regent, or try Seabourn of go back to Silversea first.

Have you ever cruised on the "R" ships?

We have been on Oceania 8 times on R ships and Rivera and Marina. We have also been on Azamara, RCCL, Regent, Crystal, SEABOURN and SILVERSEAS. We are extremely itinerary based and feel that Oceania has the best and most port intensive itineraries in the higher end category. That being said although we loved the dining venues and the PH on O ships we still prefer the size of the R ships. That would not preclude us from the O ships if the itinerary was to our liking. We also would return to SILVERSEAS or SEABOURN if we liked the itinerary.

I was on that Solstice cruise, and I was lucky enough to eat in Murano that evening, which was fine. But others did complain. The rest of the cruise was ok - couldn't count the number of semi trucks unloading food in San Diego!!!!!

Makes sense that they would load the good stuff in San Diego. This is a tip I'll have to remember.

Archived