Need help - Amsterdam - ocean view cabin selection

Sunriseatsea

Would really appreciate suggestions from past Amsterdam Grand Voyage cruisers on best Ocean View staterooms to consider. We are retired but active, would like a good view out the window, and quiet stateroom. Also, I vaguely recall reading somewhere on CC that some of the outside staterooms have a furniture configuration where the bed(s) is not under the window, but against another wall so that you can actually look out the window. Thank you!

I booked 1840 and was very pleased. I like being on Dolphin Deck. I have found that I used the forward and mid-ship elevators/stairwells the most and 1840 was well located for that purpose. It was a quiet room and well located for stability.

I have also had a DA category, 2548, I think. The room was identical in layout to 1840, but because of the Lower Promenade Deck above it, one could frequently hear people walking above you.

If you have the beds separated, one has direct access to the window and that provides more room in the cabin. If the beds are together, the bed will be under the window. I am unaware of any other bed arrangement for the outside cabins.

Lower Promenade outside cabins are smaller than those on Main and Dolphin Decks. Lower Promenade between the mid-ship and aft elevators is under the galley, so could be a source of noise during the night (when those delicious breakfast pastries are made).

Main Deck is sandwiched between two passenger decks, so is quiet for the most part. As rka mentioned, walkers on Lower Promenade may be a disturbance.

Since I have no idea what's below Dolphin Deck, I am hesitant to recommend anything there.

On any deck, do be careful about going too far forward, and somewhat careful about too far aft.

Hi

I have stayed in cabin 3355 last year on lower promenade deck you don't have a private deack. People walk bye. you do have chairs in front of your cabin window. People cannot see in. I found it very quite. People do walk bye but its very quite. Good Luck. I was solo so my bed was just under the window. I could look up and see weather was like and if raining I went back to sleep. You will save on cabin and be able to do more things but on a world cruise I think you like the privacy of a private deck

Mary

RuthC makes a valid point about avoiding cabins too far forward or aft. I have heard people indicate that being too far forward, you are awakened by the noise of the anchors being let go and/or bow thrusters being activated. Plus being too far forward or aft in an active sea will cause those cabins to experience more noticeable piitching.

Her other point about what is under Dolphin Deck is worth considering as well. I have had cabins in the 1828 to 1840 range on the Volendam, Zaandam, and the Amsterdam and have never had any noise issues coming from below. I do prefer the port side over the starboard side because next to the forward stairs going up, there is a set of stairs going down to the next deck, which is where the tender platform is located. If it is hot/humid, I have found that hot/humid air will come up those stairs at times and the hallway near those stairs will be affected by that.

Archived