Carnival Cutbacks?

We cruised with Carnival 5 times between 2009 & 2011, and really noticed some changes during that short time. I highlighted the things in your very comprehensive list that really had an impact on our cruise experience:

OK, here goes. These are cutbacks I've noticed since 2009, so I'm not comparing cruising today to 'ye olde glory days'. I'm sure I'll not remember all of them but I'll do my best. Disclaimer: of course, not all of these cutbacks will be noticed by or matter to every cruiser. Some of them don't matter to me, either. I'm just listing all that I have noticed and can remember...

MDR / FOOD

• now, most recently, no one asks you about wine at all. If you want it, you have to try to catch an over-worked and sometimes hard-to-find bar server that's wandering the MDR
  • switching from 1 head waiter and 1 assistant waiter per table, with fewer tables to the 3-waiter system where they have more tables and they are spread too thin. The service has suffered dramatically
  • Removing higher-end foods such as the roast duck from the menu and replacing them with cheap 'comfort foods' like meatloaf.
  • Lower quality food ingredients being used in MDR dishes

One thing that really impressed us on our first couple Carnival cruises was the quality of the food. We had had a couple bad food cruises on Royal Caribbean, and the food on Carnival at the time was a welcome improvement. However, I felt like the food on our last Carnival cruises had really gone downhill, in part because the wait staff was stretched too thin. At the same time, I think the food on RCCL has improved greatly in the last few years. On our last two Royal Caribbean cruises we've had great food and awesome wait staff.

I read that on the ships that have received the 2.0 upgrades, they have discontinued breakfast and lunch in the MDR in favor of a Comedy Brunch. We're really not Lido people, so I would have a very difficult time with that on a newer Carnival ship.

ENTERTAINMENT

• no more live music on Lido deck, and less live music elsewhere, too. Replaced with much cheaper DJs.
  • far less production-type shows, replaced by much cheaper "Playlist" shows and more shows which use (for free) the customers such as talent shows and gameshows.
  • Fewer organized activities onboard. And sometimes, they expect staff whose job it is not to do double duty hosting these games (example - Piano Bar player expected to play the music for and run the game of Name That Tune, when the Entertainment Host did not show up. It was not possible. So the game did not happen. This could be a fluke, but it seems to be a trend.)

The lack of activities that appealed to us, both during the day and in the evenings is the other cutback that we find most noticeable. We want to be entertained by professionals in the evening...not other passengers!

OTHER

• Overall cut in crew-to-passenger ratio. This is most noticeable in the MDR, but is clear in many other areas as well.

I also noticed it in the Lido...they seemed to have a difficult time keeping up, and the tables were almost always a mess.

That's all that's coming to mind right now. I know there are others that I'm just not thinking of. Please, everyone, feel free to cut and paste my list and add to it if you like.:)

That's good to hear, considering my next cruise is on RCI. But we'll be in a Grand Suite with full Gold Card perks, and we paid a bunch more:eek: for it than any of our Carnival cruises. So comparing it to any of my previous cruises, Carnival or otherwise, would definitely be apples to oranges. But I sure am looking forward to it!:D

As far as the Carnival cutbacks and cruise cost, I wish Carnival would just adjust the price as needed to keep up with rising costs and inflation and give us the product we were used to getting. I feel like each Carnival cruise I go on, I'm getting a little more bait-&-switch from them. But they have shown they are not interested in keeping repeat cruisers like me. They want to pack in the super-budget-conscious, oblivious-to-what-was-included-just-last-month, "just-get-me-on-a-ship-and-I'll-be-happy-with-anything", new cruiser.

For my Spring cruises out of Galveston the last two years, I've been able to get an Owner's Suite and a Grand Suite on the Mariner of the Seas for LESS than an Oceanview Suite on the Magic. Beware...RCCL suites are gorgeous, but those Gold Card Perks are addicting!:D My favorite is being able to eat breakfast and lunch in Chops...it really makes a big ship seem smaller and more personal.

Wow this is all so depressing, I was so looking forward to our splendor cruise in July for my son's 21st birthday .

There's no need to be depressed or to not look forward to your cruise! Go, cruise, be happy!:) Just don't go into it expecting what Carnival gave you on previous cruises. Although the cutbacks are noticeable and sometimes upsetting, I have not had a bad cruise yet.

If threads like these depress you, please don't read them before your cruise. I'd hate to be part of the reason someone stopped looking forward to their cruise.:(:o

Wow this is all so depressing, I was so looking forward to our splendor cruise in July for my son's 21st birthday .

:) You will still enjoy it...I think the point is to not limit yourself to one line. The next time you are taking a cruise, check out other lines.

We were on Conquest March '12 and had a good experience. Went again in December after 2.0 was introduced. Yawn..... I was amazed at the difference. I was bored on a cruise for the first time ever. Read a whole book which I have never done on a cruise before. And sadly, I don't really have many memories from that December Conquest 2.0 cruise either. Just sort of blank. And no, I don't drink.

Rather than Carnival 2.0, they should call it Carnival .53!

Went on RCCL Navigator the next month and had a BLAST!

My concern is how long can Carnival keep up these crazy low fares before initiating another round of cuts? And how can they ever cut enough to cover late fall type fares for cruises in July?

The biggest problem I see with this type of thread is that people will judge an entire cruise line by their experience on one ship or one cruise.

You should know that is not a true picture of the entire cruise line, but posts would make a naive reader believe what you say. Some people come to CC looking for information and are influenced by what they read here, so it would be better to set your

brand bias aside and post factual information that is beneficial to those seeking information and guidance.

I have cruised many times on many cruise lines and know that there are more differences in the ships on a cruise line than there are between the cruise lines.

Cutbacks are a normal part of a business that is structured to be low priced and competitive with others in the same class.

If you want more --- prepare to pay more, but your comparisons with yesteryear will not make the cuts come back. You will need to seek what you want at another cruise line.

Like WalMart, the business model has been very successful and has made both of these companies the biggest in the world in their respective fields.

The biggest problem I see with this type of thread is that people will judge an entire cruise line by their experience on one ship or one cruise.

You should know that is not a true picture of the entire cruise line, but posts would make a naive reader believe what you say. Some people come to CC looking for information and are influenced by what they read here, so it would be better to set your

brand bias aside and post factual information that is beneficial to those seeking information and guidance.

I have cruised many times on many cruise lines and know that there are more differences in the ships on a cruise line than there are between the cruise lines.

Cutbacks are a normal part of a business that is structured to be low priced and competitive with others in the same class.

If you want more --- prepare to pay more, but your comparisons with yesteryear will not make the cuts come back. You will need to seek what you want at another cruise line.

Like WalMart, the business model has been very successful and has made both of these companies the biggest in the world in their respective fields.

What you say is true. But the OP asked for info on what people thought were cut backs. And most people answered with things that they saw or that mattered to them. It doesn't mean that they're wrong or that they don't like CCL.It's just what they've noticed. And most say that they'll still cruise CCL.

What you say is true. But the OP asked for info on what people thought were cut backs. And most people answered with things that they saw or that mattered to them. It doesn't mean that they're wrong or that they don't like CCL.It's just what they've noticed. And most say that they'll still cruise CCL.

My comments were posted to try to deflect the impression that is being conveyed to those who come to these boards seeking accurate information, and could gain an incorrect impression of the cruise line from some of these posts.

I keep hearing about all of these cutbacks for Carnival but honestly I did by notice anything major outside of their not being a DJ. Can everyone list the cutbacks they have seen? I am inclined to think they are not as big as people say

Btw OP. Things aren't near as bad as some people would lead you to believe. I have as much fun now as I did 10 years ago. They've also made a number of additions over the years. But like some cuts, there are adds that don't matter to some. Its all personal taste in some cases.

Sent using my Commodore 64

I don't agree. I have only been on one carnival cruise so it i were to cruise them again the "cutbacks" would not be noticeable as I didn't sail when these things happened in the first place. So they would not impact my decision to sail carnival or not.

You also comment about people posting factual information. What listed is not factual?

The same 2 or 3 posters show up on every thread and try to muddy the waters with disruption, deflection and denial. It's a shame that good discussions are ruined by a few who feel an absurd need to defend a company who doesn't even know they exist.

The same 2 or 3 posters show up on every thread and try to muddy the waters with disruption, deflection and denial. It's a shame that good discussions are ruined by a few who feel an absurd need to defend a company who doesn't even know they exist.

I just looked at your post history.

I did notice the lack of bussers on lido deck and I am saddened threy did awag with the Mexican buffet. Loved the watermelon carvings. I will keep a keen eye out on my next cruise to see if I notice any thing else.

We had the mexican buffet one night from something like 9-midnight.

Thanks to all those that mentioned things I had forgotten. I think I've added them all in below. Keep 'em coming and we'll have the whole list, for whatever it might be worth.

MDR / FOOD

• No more wine stewards in MDR - switched to your head waiter taking your wine order
  • now, most recently, no one asks you about wine at all. If you want it, you have to try to catch an over-worked and sometimes hard-to-find bar server that's wandering the MDR
  • switching from 1 head waiter and 1 assistant waiter per table, with fewer tables to the 3-waiter system where they have more tables and they are spread too thin. The service has suffered dramatically
  • Removing higher-end foods such as the roast duck from the menu and replacing them with cheap 'comfort foods' like meatloaf.
  • Lower quality food ingredients being used in MDR dishes
  • Less of the pricey ingredients (for example, about half the seafood now on the Penne Mariscos compared to how it was served just a couple years ago)
  • Ice milk now served on the side of the WCMC instead of real ice cream
  • no more free cappuccino or espresso in MDR, now you've gotta pay (over $3) for it
  • no longer a full place setting of appropriate silverware for the dishes served
  • cheaper and smaller variety of teabags
  • iceberg lettuce and red cabbage now passed off for the "mixed field green salad" that used to actually be mixed field greens.
  • itty-bitty little shrimp replaced the decent-sized shrimp in the shrimp cocktail
  • Terrible 'steak' replacing the decent steaks that used to be served.
  • 'au jus' for the Prime Rib is now seemingly jarred gravy (which tastes horrible, BTW)
  • main ingredients in sushi now cream cheese and avocado instead of the better, pricier fish and other ingredients.
  • No more cheddar cheese (at the Deli, but I'm guessing elsewhere, too). Only crappy, fake American 'cheese'.
  • No more Midnight Mexican Buffet.

IN THE CABINS

• the once-wonderfully comfy mattresses have been changed out for super-hard, pain-inducing mattresses
  • although seemingly not consistent, more and more often now, no more pen and notepad in the cabin
  • cheap white "SOAP" replaced the better, green Bien Venue soap
  • room service menu no longer in the nice binder, but just a single sheet of easy-to-miss paper mixed in with advertisements with your FunTimes
  • No more hardcover 'coffee table book' with all the cool information about the ship.

ENTERTAINMENT

• no more live music on Lido deck, and less live music elsewhere, too. Replaced with much cheaper DJs.
  • far less production-type shows, replaced by much cheaper "Playlist" shows and more shows which use (for free) the customers such as talent shows and gameshows.
  • smaller production show cast
  • Fewer organized activities onboard. And sometimes, they expect staff whose job it is not to do double duty hosting these games (example - Piano Bar player expected to play the music for and run the game of Name That Tune, when the Entertainment Host did not show up. It was not possible. So the game did not happen. This could be a fluke, but it seems to be a trend.)

LOYALTY PROGRAM

• (I really can't remember all they did here, as I'm not Platinum and wasn't affected by these cutbacks. Someone else please fill in this area.:o
  • Platinum no longer free entry into slot-pull - now a BOGO offer
  • Free Laundry for Platinum more limited
  • Platinum now gets "priority" dining time instead of the former "guaranteed"

OTHER

• no more FCCs. I used to buy one every cruise. With an FCC in hand, we were a lot more likely to make our next cruise a Carnival cruise because we had made that deposit (in the form of FCC 'purchase') and had OBC waiting for us. Now, no such incentive. Big mistake, Carnival.
  • Overall cut in crew-to-passenger ratio. This is most noticeable in the MDR, but is clear in many other areas as well, including more rooms for each room steward.
  • Probably part of the above, less (slower) cleaning getting done of tables on Lido and in Buffet.
  • No more hurricane-style souvenir "Best Day Ever" DOD cup that gets you a discounted refill price. Now, the Lido drinks are served in smaller, plain cups.
  • No more Fun Farewell Party
  • This could be a fluke, but I noticed it A LOT on my last two Pride cruises - the hand sanitizer dispensers were often empty or broken.

That's all that's coming to mind right now. I know there are others that I'm just not thinking of. Please, everyone, feel free to cut and paste my list and add to it if you like.:)

is that true?!?! :eek: ice milk for WCMC?!?! Will they give you real ice cream if you ask? Or it for a fee now?

My comments were posted to try to deflect the impression that is being conveyed to those who come to these boards seeking accurate information, and could gain an incorrect impression of the cruise line from some of these posts.

That is (and always has been) the nature of these boards and nothing new. All posts here are obviously opinions and observations. Members seeking information should understand that.

Thanks.:o Yes, you're right, the Midnight Gala Buffet was so much nicer. But that seems so long ago, like the crumb scraper and the watercolour prints. I didn't want to be accused of comparing now to the 'days of old', so I tried to keep the list limited to those things that have been downgraded since 2009.

Believe it or not, the crumb scrapers still exist; the MDR waiters are just too busy or indifferent to use them. I was shocked to see my waiter use one on my place setting on the Ecstasy this January, and I told him I hadn't seen one used on Carnival since probably 2004 on the Celebration.

is that true?!?! :eek: ice milk for WCMC?!?! Will they give you real ice cream if you ask? Or it for a fee now?

I had it twice in april. I couldn't tell the difference and thought it was ice cream. If it is ice milk and you want ice cream, ask for it. I am sure they will give it to you since ice cream is a desert choice itself.

Archived