Carnival Cutbacks?

Let me summarize it in a simple way...

Entertainment - guests performing instead of professionals, less musicians

Food - cheaper cuts of meat, some of it inedible

Loyalty - cuts to Platinum Program, including free slot tournament

There are more that people talk about, like reductions in the dining room staff, but the three I list I have all experienced.

There are more that people talk about, like reductions in the dining room staff, but the three I list I have all experienced.

inedible.....really:cool:

Never had anything I would call unedible. However, do not care for the flat iron steak. Tried twice and very tough and chewy each time.

I keep hearing about all of these cutbacks for Carnival but honestly I did by notice anything major outside of their not being a DJ. Can everyone list the cutbacks they have seen? I am inclined to think they are not as big as people say

I was on a cruise two weeks ago with a Lido deck DJ.. I wish they cut him. :eek:

I haven't noticed any real cutbacks. Dining staff, and cabin staff were always on top of things, photo staff were everywhere, the crappy comedians were everywhere... etc etc.

Food seemed to remain the same, pizza got better.

Oh... the sandwiches at the sandwich bar did get a little smaller, but that may have been the bored cook.

However, if you are super picky, or a complainer, everything is horrible... just horrible!

The cutback that bothered me the most on my recent cruise on the Carnival Breeze was that they've done away with the late night Mexican buffet. That was one of my favorite meals on a cruise! But it's gone now.

Pretty sure they had this on my recent Pride cruise ... we didn't make it. :(

I agree, that stuff their calling eggs " Breeze", as well as the meatloaf.

Steak so chewy you think your chewing on an old tire :p so who likes pumpkin soup anyways :D

Keep in mind that some of those who constantly post negatives about Carnival are TA's who are not happy with the way Carnival is doing business with them.

You keep throwing out there that the complainers are TAs. What proof do you have of this? I have seen one poster admit to being a TA and makes no secret of the fact he hates carnival. Just because someone doesn't like something about a cruise line doesn't make them a spiteful TA.

Because they CAN'T charge any more than they are and still fill the ship. If they could, they would. Bank on that. When Carnival pulled out of Mobile, one of the reasons they gave was that they couldn't get the fares that they wanted to get from that port. At the time the lowest category on a five day was fetching about $259. Now I've seen some fares as low as $169 on some ships. That's about 40% lower than the fare that they claimed was untenable just two years ago. Do you really think they would be backtracking on prices if they could possibly help it? Come on, be for real.

with Mobile they needed so much more oil than they do just to saily over to the Bahamas 60 miles away from Florida mainland. Oil prices were rising and the overall cost to sail from Mobile was still more, even if they charge less out of Florida.

Carnival said at the time "its not ALL about the price of oil". (meaning it had to be somewhat about oil? since they didnt deny it completely).

The only cutback that we would (or will) really miss is a cut in the number of dancers. We did an NCL cruise recently in which the number of dancers was a very low count. It made us really miss Carnival's big production shows that we had become accustomed to.

I think we'll miss the live band that played on Lido. Not so much because we watched them on Lido, but because they were often the same band that would play in the lounge that we frequent on the main walkway (midship Level 5 on most ships).

I love the bang-4-the-buck that CCL continues to offer, but they are making me start to think about seriously looking at other lines like Princess and RCL.

The only cutback that we would (or will) really miss is a cut in the number of dancers. We did an NCL cruise recently in which the number of dancers was a very low count. It made us really miss Carnival's big production shows that we had become accustomed to.

I think we'll miss the live band that played on Lido. Not so much because we watched them on Lido, but because they were often the same band that would play in the lounge that we frequent on the main walkway (midship Level 5 on most ships).

I love the bang-4-the-buck that CCL continues to offer, but they are making me start to think about seriously looking at other lines like Princess and RCL.

I feel the same way about the shows and the music. I don't expect Carnival shows to be as good as on newer ships of RCCL or NCL, but at least keep the same level as 2009. Comfort food too. I am not a snacker and dont need to dine whenever i like, and I like it that Carnival has traditional dining. But comfort food?

Archived