Miami Advice

SuperTrooper00

Hi all,

I have been reading through this forum for weeks, and just need a little more advice.

We are flying in on a red-eye, arriving early in the morning the day before our cruise. We have never come in that early before. Obviously, there is a great chance we will not be able to check in to our room at that time. So, our plan is to drop our bags at the hotel, and spend the day at the pool, beach, or spa. A spa might be our preference since we can use their showers, etc.

We are also battling with whether to take advantage of a few great deals (less than $200 a night) for 4-5 star hotels in downtown. If we did this, we would probably taxi to South Beach and spend much of our day there.

Or, we would just sacrifice a bit of Hotel class, and just stay in South Beach the entire time (3-4 star rooms for $200).

We don't want to do any major excursions so we can just relax and adjust to the time change.

What would your advice be? Hotel in downtown or Beach (again, plan to spend part of our day there either way)? If beach, would you stay directly in South Beach, or more middle of Miami beach? Pool and beach or spa for the day?

I really appreciate any feedback you can give.

Tough to give you advice without knowing your date of stay. $200 will not get you as much in the winter peak season and/or weekends. Sobe can be untouchable for your budget during peak season. Figure $50 cab to and from Sobe. Add that to the downtown rate and work the numbers. Sounds like you aren't interested in "beach time". So I wouldn't spend extra on those hotels.

Tough to give you advice without knowing your date of stay. $200 will not get you as much in the winter peak season and/or weekends. Sobe can be untouchable for your budget during peak season. Figure $50 cab to and from Sobe. Add that to the downtown rate and work the numbers. Sounds like you aren't interested in "beach time". So I wouldn't spend extra on those hotels.

Looking at November. I have found hotels for those rates already, so not looking for rate advice. I have found 4 and 5 star hotels in downtown for less than $200, and I have found several 3 and 4 star hotels in South Beach for less than $200. So, its just a matter of which is better...

As far as "beach time", yes, we want beach time. As I said in my post, we will get that either way.

I would stay in SoBe if thats where you plan on spending a majority of your time just to save the time and money on taking a taxi back & forth. If you include those costs in your hotel budget, you can maybe stay at one of the beach front hotels. I stayed at the Albion last year. Less then $200 a night and I enjoyed the hotel and the location. 2 short blocks to the beach and near lots of stores and restaurants. I would recommend it for a precruise stay.

I agree - stay in South Beach since that is where you want to spend most of your time -- the difference in hotel accomodations is not worth the hassel of travelling back and forth IMHO.

Good luck! :)

Archived