Labadee questions

We're on the Navigator that goes to Labadee on 7/25 and I'm a bit confused. I thought that RCL owns the island, or at least has exclusive use of it. But they also offer a 3 hour excursion to a private beach. If I choose not to take the excursion, what else is there? When I get off the boat, is there a beach? Does anyone have any information about hiking up to Dragon's Rock?

Thanks

Steven

Labadee is a peninsula of Haiti, not a private island, but it is under RCI's exclusive control. That is why RCI can offer an excursion to a private beach, which is away from everybody else. At Labadee itself, there are multiple beach areas for use without going on the private beach excursion, plus snorkeling, waverunners, parasailing, etc.

Labadee is a small peninsula of Haiti that is leased by Royal Caribbean for the use of its cruise passengers. I can't help with the private beach you mentioned. The area of Labadee itself is quite small and it's not really a hike to get to Dragon's Rock. The ship will provide you with a map of the area. You can easily take in one of several beaches all within a very short distance from the pier where the tender docks. Someone here probably has a map that shows where everything is located. We swam, shopped at the crafts market, and just hung out on the beach until lunch was ready. I believe they had parasailing and some watercraft that you could use if you booked ahead of time.

Here's a link that might be helpful to you:

http://www.destinationoceans.com/royal_caribbean.asp?pageID=138

Not sure about a private beach excursion. Don't think you will need it as there are several beaches on Labadee, all with different atmospheres. If you don't want to walk to the other beach areas there is a little train that you can ride to other areas of the island. We did the wave runners, shopped in the market, and rested on the beach and in the comfy hammocks. Some people do not like the market because the vendors can be a bit pushy, but we purchased some of our all time favorite souviners at the market. (A Haitian oil painting for our daughter, stone turtle and frog for our garden pond, and large metal sun sculputure that hangs by our garden pond) We have never seen anything close to these handmade items on any of our other stops. We loved Labadee and someday hope to book another cruise that stops at Labadee. You will have a great time relaxing in the sun.:)

Isn't the entire area of Lababee private for RCCL passengers? That's what I thought, and if so, I have no idea why the beach excursion would be any more private. Perhaps it is more secluded, or only available through the excursion?? I have no idea but am interested.

I honestly thought this was one port where you can just wing it, because it is a small area and it is privately owned.

I had that excursion booked last year in Labadee and decided to cancel and see what the island had to offer. I'm so glad that I did cancel it! There's no need for it and I ended up saving $200 as the excursion was $50/pp. I recall reading a post many months ago about this excursion and the poster stated that it wasn't worth the $.

Labadee is beautiful! I never felt crowded as there are so many beach areas. Walk around and explore, relax in a lounge chair or hammock in the shade, snorkel or whatever suits you. Enjoy, it's wonderful!

I think the purpose of the private beach is to be even more private. If you are on a Voyager class ship in Labadee, potentially you could have in the neighborhood of 3,000 other cruise ship passengers among those beaches. By offering the excursion, for those people that are crazy enough to spend the extra $60, now you have a secluded beach that is only populated with other crazy people with too much money.

The excursion I think that you are talking about, is about a 20 minuite boat ride from Labadee. The beach is supposed to be pristine and the water beautiful. The excursion is limited to a certain number of people so that it is not crowded. I guess it is good if you want to be secluded. I saw the excursion on my cruise on the Voyager and it seemed a little pricey to me. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Thanks for the map of Labadee. My wife and I really enjoyed our visit there, and hope to return as well. I realize by looking at the map, that Dragon's Rock and the hideaway beach were not that far away at all. I took pictures of Dragon's Rock, but we didn't make it over there. You wouldn't think that basically a beach day, could have so much to do, but it does. I was also amazed at the amount of food they had prepared for everyone as well.

I have Labadee pictures at the link below, if anyone is interested. It was part of our Enchantment cruise last October, so just scroll down the page and you will get to the Labadee pics.

~ Ken

http://www.kennydrew.com/Enchantment%20cruise.htm

Everyone,

Thanks so much for the great information, especially the map. I'm sure we will pass on the excursion as there looks to be tons to do right there.

Thanks!!!

Steven

Only advise I can give you about labadee is get in the food line as soon as it opens. Lines get long real quick and get 2 drinks at a time or like I did, order a big ass drink from the bar

The whole idea of Labadee is interesting. I haven't been to any others, but I think there are a couple more like it. Coco Cay, maybe?

The "island", not really an island but a fenced off peninsula, is leased by Royal Caribbean for their exclusive use. The facilities were built there, and each day that a ship arrives, the crew goes ashore and I believe with the help of a few local residents, set everything up for the passengers.

They bring food ashore, prepare the lunch buffet, stock and staff the bars, and who knows what else. (This is why the food is free, it's part of the ship menu!)

When I was there, we saw local residents helping passengers set up lounge chairs, and of course working in the section where the local crafts were being sold. They may have also been piloting the tenders, which are there for each ship that visits.

I do have a question about this operation.. I'm not exactly an early riser, especially on vacation! :) Has anyone ever been awake and out watching when the ship ties up, to see how early they send the crew ashore for setup? I imagine they have quite a bit of stuff to transport over, I'm just wondering how early they start all that.

Theron

I am one of those that is up and on deck by about 5:30AM every day. I don't remember what time the ship finished tying up to the moorings but a tender came up to the ship soon after. Mostly they just bring food supplies over from the ship. Everything else is already in place on shore. And since they don't have to have food ready until around 11:00 they have time to get things going.

Thanks for the info on rafts. And I cannot wait to have a Labadoozie. Leaving on 7/15 and are counting the days.

This was one of my favorite parts of Labadee- the Labadoozie- you get to keep the drink cup and I have two of them. I use them quite a bit and they bring back memories of awesome time we had at Labadee. Almost forgot - look for the great sunset as you leave Labadee. Our balcony was on the perfect side of the ship for a great photo op. Our cabin steward clued us in and he was right, it was terrific. If I could reduce the picture enough to send it I would, but don't want to ruin it for you, a golden path lights the sea.:)

Archived