Labadee questions

We've been to Labadee and Coco Cay. While both are beautiful, we prefer Labadee. The people in the market will haggle with you, especially if it's getting close to the last tender. We too purchased the big sun, as well as walking sticks, little wood pots, bowls, and other souveniers. Thank goodness we weren't flying.

Hi:

Don't do the private beach excursion, it's not worth the money. DH/I were going to do it last year on Grandeur and cancelled it. We spoke to people that went there and the beach is extremely small and there was nothing really special about it.

If you are looking for a beach that isn't crowded go to Hideaway Beach. This beach is near Dragon Rock. Depending what ship you are on there's a place nearby to eat lunch at. Note: On the larger ships like Voyager both cafe's are open. Ship like Grandeur only one is open and that's near the craft market. It's a bit of a walk but well worth it. Barefoot Beach and Nellie's Beach are extremely crowded. Nice beaches but a lot of people.

The food is free and it comes from the ship so you don't have to worry about anything. Good selection of food but the burger's were very dry last year. Ribs were awesome!

Good luck.

I was wondering if anyone knows if the food they will serve on the beach at Labadee, will be the same food they serve on the ship while docked at Labadee. We were thinking of enjoying the morning on the beach and coming back onto the ship around lunchtime..

I was wondering if anyone knows if the food they will serve on the beach at Labadee, will be the same food they serve on the ship while docked at Labadee. We were thinking of enjoying the morning on the beach and coming back onto the ship around lunchtime..

On Labadee, I believe they just have BBQ. I heard they also serve salad. This is not too bad of an idea because I'm sure they serve the normal fare in the dining room and Windjammer. It might also be a good day to try Johnny Rockets - less crowded. Though I wonder, what time does the ship dock? Would you have enough time to enjoy the beach thoroughly before lunch? What time does lunchtime end in Windjammer and the dining room?

NJCruiser2005:

When I was on Grandeur last year, this is what they served at Labadee from what I remember.

Barbeque ribs and chicken, burgers, hot dogs, four or five cold salads, mac & cheese, pork & beans, various basic desserts (jello, chocolate cake, lemon cake, etc.). I don't remember everything but the chooses weren't bad.

You'll definitely get better food on the ship if you choose to go back there. Most likely it will be quiet since the majority of the passengers will be at Labadee.

When we were there on Explorer, the dining room was open for lunch but the Windjammer was closed. At least that is what I was told by some who stayed on the ship.

I believe it is the Windjammer staff that runs the BBQs on Labadee. The food is NOT the same as what would normally be served aboard ship.

What hints can anyone give for shopping the Labadee market? What are the craft highlights? I lived in Jamaica and I know about bargaining...but some constructive hints and suggested ballpark prices would be helpful...such as.....how much are the paintings going for nowadays?

Thank you!

NJCruiser2005:

When I was on Grandeur last year, this is what they served at Labadee from what I remember.

Barbeque ribs and chicken, burgers, hot dogs, four or five cold salads, mac & cheese, pork & beans, various basic desserts (jello, chocolate cake, lemon cake, etc.). I don't remember everything but the chooses weren't bad.

You'll definitely get better food on the ship if you choose to go back there. Most likely it will be quiet since the majority of the passengers will be at Labadee.

That sounds like the same menu we had last October on Enchantment.

Looking at the map of Labadee, where does the ship dock/tender?

Trying to find a beach that is not too crowded, but near food activities...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Kim

If you are looking at the map here, you can see the outline of the front of the ship at the bottom of the map. The tenders dock at #8, and you can see a little tender they've drawn in there.

I'm not sure about the beach recommendation. If I remember correctly, the beaches near the food (at least the place we ate, #11 on the map) were kind of rocky. The nicer ones were further down to the left, but a good hike back for lunch.

This map has no scale... not good.. it would be helpful! :) I guess I will just have to go back with my GPS receiver and take some readings... the things we must do to help out... :rolleyes:

Theron

We've been to Labadee 4 times and love it. Beaches when we've visited have been pristine and there are several of them. Beaches closest to the ship are the most crowded. Snorkelling is poor, and we've never been to the water park area where they have the floating iceberg, etc. for kids. There is a new water play/park that recently opened - great fun for the younger ones with cannons that shoot water etc. Two areas where lunch is provided, and it is good BBQ, but not gourmet. We've had the same menu (posted above) each time we visited. Jet skis, etc. also available. Two or three bars to visit, in addition, servers will bring drinks to you on the beach. And, as a previous poster mentioned, I highly recommend the Labadoozies.:D

Vendors are anxious to sell their wares in the market, but if you say you're just looking and keep moving on, they will leave you alone. There are many good quality wood carvings and paintings available at a reasonable cost. Only cash is accepted in the marketplace.

Hair braiding also available. Also, at lunch time local performers will sing and dance for your entertainment. On our last visit in February, the lunchtime performers, while very enthusiastic, were absolutely horrible. They were so bad that it was comical. Despite this, we left a generous tip due to the poverty in this region.

No cost for lunch. Drinks will be charged to your seapass account. Take some cash if you'd like to buy anything in the market and also to tip the local workers who will carry your lounge chair to the beach area of your choice. Hair braiders accept cash, Visa & Mastercard. For those passengers who find it difficult to walk any distances, there are golf-cart like vehicles to take you around. Also, wheel-chairs with the large balloon tires enabling them to travel easily over the sand are also readily available.

A day in Labadee is a day in paradise. Enjoy!

The whole idea of Labadee is interesting. I haven't been to any others, but I think there are a couple more like it. Coco Cay, maybe?

The "island", not really an island but a fenced off peninsula, is leased by Royal Caribbean for their exclusive use. The facilities were built there, and each day that a ship arrives, the crew goes ashore and I believe with the help of a few local residents, set everything up for the passengers.

They bring food ashore, prepare the lunch buffet, stock and staff the bars, and who knows what else. (This is why the food is free, it's part of the ship menu!)

When I was there, we saw local residents helping passengers set up lounge chairs, and of course working in the section where the local crafts were being sold. They may have also been piloting the tenders, which are there for each ship that visits.

I do have a question about this operation.. I'm not exactly an early riser, especially on vacation! :) Has anyone ever been awake and out watching when the ship ties up, to see how early they send the crew ashore for setup? I imagine they have quite a bit of stuff to transport over, I'm just wondering how early they start all that.

Theron

Actually, some of RCI's employees live their in Labadee, that is how everything is all ready set up when guests arrive. I remember talking to some of the employees when I was there a couple of years back.

I know LOTS of people say the snorkeling is bad on Labadee, but I'm bringing my stuff anyway. I'm happy if I see a minnow and random seaweed. For someone who's NOT picky about snorkeling, is there a BETTER place to go than others?

(I've snorkeled Lake Erie and had a good time, so obviously I don't expect much!:D )

I know LOTS of people say the snorkeling is bad on Labadee, but I'm bringing my stuff anyway. I'm happy if I see a minnow and random seaweed. For someone who's NOT picky about snorkeling, is there a BETTER place to go than others?

(I've snorkeled Lake Erie and had a good time, so obviously I don't expect much!:D )

Most people who snorkel do so at Hideaway Beach. You'll be given a map while on board the ship - and it's not hard to find, nor is it far from the dock - about a 7 min. easy walk. (The beaches on the far side of the pennisula are open and sandy - no rocky points where the fish like to hang out).

Have fun - hope you see lots of fish.

Hideaway beach was okay snorkeling. Was there end of last month--saw several different fish and a small octopus. Lots of rocky outcroppings and the water is very clear at Hideaway. We were on Navigator, so lunch was served a few feet away, no walking back to main beach. The first beach looked REALLY crowded and I can't imagine even trying to snorkel there. You'll have a great time...I'm jealous, wish I was going back soon.

When we went to Labadee, the dancers from the ship were running the various excursion check in stations (parasailing, waverunner, banana boat, etc..). I talked to the parasailing boat guys (we were doing that one), and he said that he and a few others stayed on the island during their RC contract. They had several off days, as a ship doesn't arrive everyday.

He also said that he used to run scuba excursions on one of the ships, and that they did trade out assignments (ships, islands, etc..) from time to time, so as not to get burnt out. I remember talking to my wife about how great it would be to live on Labadee, and only work a few days a week. :) Of course, I wouldn't want to do that forever...but what a change of pace!

I also imagine that you have to work your way up to get into rotation for one of those island jobs...but, that's just a guess.

Archived