Bringing food on board?

WOW! Who knew this would start such a discussion!:eek: We have already prepaid our gratuities but I thought that a box of GS cookies signed by the girls in each room would just be a sweet gesture from us. I'm certain glad at least half of you think the same! We are very excited about our trip. Most of our girls have never been on a cruise before and they had to sell a whole lotta cookies to have this opportunity! Thanks for love folks! :D

guitargal, please ignore the people who talk about other people causing trouble BEFORE anyone has said anything critical. They drive me nuts.

In general, I am one who says that cash is king, but when you are talking about GIRLS and GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, I think that it is a lovely idea. It doesn't matter if they are not familiar with the sales because they are not American - once they taste them, they are likely to LOVE them. And if they don't, they will find friends in the crew who DO want them.

Yes, they get their "food" as part of the contract, but it is a rather monotonous diet. I think that they will be THRILLED with the variety.

Go for it!

:)

While I don't think this will be a problem, I would not necessarily recommend it. The staff get all the free, fresh cookies they want. They don't have much storage space as they have very small cabins with several people trying to share limited space.

guitargal, please ignore the people who talk about other people causing trouble BEFORE anyone has said anything critical. They drive me nuts.

In general, I am one who says that cash is king, but when you are talking about GIRLS and GIRL SCOUT COOKIES, I think that it is a lovely idea. It doesn't matter if they are not familiar with the sales because they are not American - once they taste them, they are likely to LOVE them. And if they don't, they will find friends in the crew who DO want them.

Yes, they get their "food" as part of the contract, but it is a rather monotonous diet. I think that they will be THRILLED with the variety.

Go for it!

:)

Couldn't agree with you more Mom - and I think the girls will get a kick out of doing this and create a nice memory of their cruise. I say go for it

While I don't think this will be a problem, I would not necessarily recommend it. The staff get all the free, fresh cookies they want. They don't have much storage space as they have very small cabins with several people trying to share limited space.

I don't think so.

I've never had the luxury of having to store a box of girl scout cookies. They pretty much disappear.

OP, I'd say go for it. Great idea.

Girl Scout cookies are the only legalized crack I know of... ;)

Give them in addition to the daily service charge, but leave the peanut butter cookies at home.

Wrong. Krispy Kreme. Lol

I think the girls scout cookies are frankly the best gift idea ive ever heard. Those cookies are fantastic. And sure they can get food wherever but the chances that they have had GSC is very unlikely.

OP, I think that it a cute idea for your GS troop to give out GS cookies!

I would think, and I could be wrong, that many of the crew enjoy learning about different cultures and their guests. GS and cookies are a part of your culture and to an extent, America's culture. :)

I don't think so.

Why don't you think so? They have a buffet for the crew with basically the same food as the Windjammer. They have cookies and other desserts there, just like the Windjammer.

The comment was from someone who thinks its a great idea to bring the Steward a sandwich back from the Windjammer because they eat only gruel.

The cookies are a neat idea. We don't buy them because they are a value, but because they are for a good cause and the cookies are a dividend. Where are my Mango Tangos?

How many of the staff get Girl Scout cookies?? I think it is a wonderful idea. The girls work hard selling and if they want to do this, then I think it is great. If other people want to do something else then so be it, but don't begrudge the Girl Scouts what they would like to do. Go for it Girl Scouts!!!

I think giving GS cookies is a great idea. Girl scouts is not limited to just the United States so it is possible the worker knows about the girl scouts or girl guides as they are called in other countries. The girl can explain the cookies in 2 minutes. And they are YUMMY!

We live by Port Canaveral. We frequently see crew members and nearly every one has a cell phone. I think the days of calling cards are past. Much easier these days to find a hot spot and Skype (possibly with video) than find a public telephone.

If we are giving extra, it is cash. I don't have time to buy gifts for strangers who may or may not provide exceptional service.

Holy Moly! My first official 3 page thread...and for such an innocent question too! ;) I certainly didn't think this would be controversial! I appreciate the opinions AND...I certainly feel the love from many of you! I'm very proud of my girls for working so hard to earn this trip! Kindness and Caring are values that never go out of style and a box of cookies is only a small extra token of appreciation for the hard working employees of Royal Caribbean! We're leaving tomorrow and boarding on Friday....with smiles, excitement AND cookies! :D:D

Holy Moly! My first official 3 page thread...and for such an innocent question too! ;) I certainly didn't think this would be controversial! I appreciate the opinions AND...I certainly feel the love from many of you! I'm very proud of my girls for working so hard to earn this trip! Kindness and Caring are values that never go out of style and a box of cookies is only a small extra token of appreciation for the hard working employees of Royal Caribbean! We're leaving tomorrow and boarding on Friday....with smiles, excitement AND cookies! :D:D

I hope you have a great time! I look forward to hearing about your trip when you return.

It will help hold me over until September :)

We were talking about bringing some unopened boxes of GS cookies on board to leave as extra thank yous for our cabin stewards and servers. Can we do this without problems? I figure any one helping me take care of them could use a little something extra! :)

To answer your original question - yes, you can bring these on board without any problems.......

I think it's a great idea - so personal to what your trip is all about - Girl Scouts!

I recently toured with Terry in Samana and knowing he was from the Pittsburgh area, now living in Dominican Republic, asked him if there was anything from his hometown area I could bring him.

Guess what?! He said Snyder's pretzels!

Not exactly a ships crew member, but food items can be appreciated.

For those that insist that crew only eat leftover scraps, and don't have their own buffets with desserts...

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blogs/whats-it-like-to-actually-work-on-a-cruise-ship/

http://www.windrosenetwork.com/On-a-Cruise-Ship.html

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2012/01/09/working-on-cruise-ship/

Also, check out Cruise Ship Confidential (available at Amazon), and there are a few other "tell-all" books by former cruise line employees.

Hmmmmm......." Every cookie has a mission. To help girls do great things." Going on a cruise IS great but I didn't think that was the mission of which they spoke. Guess I'm in the minority since I have stale GS cookies still in the cupboard from last year when I bought them this year. I only buy them to help the troops.

Why don't you think so? They have a buffet for the crew with basically the same food as the Windjammer. They have cookies and other desserts there, just like the Windjammer.

Not according to the person in the spa who was doing my nails. She had the option of eating" upstairs" because of her position. Said the crew food was nowhere near what it is in the pax buffet or MDR. She chose to eat the crappy crew food since it helped to keep her weight down, rather than eating all the good stuff upstairs.

Have a great trip.

I can imagine the ship with all your adorable giggling girls!

Bring back plenty of pictures of the cookie deliveries!

I'm another vote for good 'ole Thin Mints!

Hmmmmm......." Every cookie has a mission. To help girls do great things." Going on a cruise IS great but I didn't think that was the mission of which they spoke. Guess I'm in the minority since I have stale GS cookies still in the cupboard from last year when I bought them this year. I only buy them to help the troops.

iheartdba....

I'm trying very hard right now to be polite. However, it is EXTREMELY difficult to hear criticism about how my girls chose to spend their very hard earned money. They spend the entire school year doing service project after service project! Over the course of our time together, these girls have delivered Meals On Wheels, stuffed teddy bears for Relay for Life, decorated Christmas trees at a local hospital/sung for the patients, manned the recycling booths at a local festival, organized children's activities for local GS events and many, many other service activities. On top of that, they have collected hundreds and hundred of boxes of Girl Scout cookies to ship to our military personel overseas(Where, I can assure you, they don't have time to get stale). My girls are EXCELLENT and DEDICATED students, athletes and musicians! They worked together, volunteered together, planned together, and budgeted together....now was their opportunity to have some FUN TOGETHER! I think they, absolutely, exemplify "Every Cookie Has A Mission"!

Here are 2 other things(among many) that I've taught them..."Don't judge people" and "Don't say hurtful things".

For everyone else on Cruise Critic who has supported my girls and helped me plan this trip....THANK YOU! We had an incredible time! I'll post pictures if I can (I need to get a photo release to put it on here) but I wanted to let you know that your feedback and assistance truly helped us tremendously!! :D:D:D

Archived