Is Our Flight Too Early?

adatappstate

We are going on the Caribbean Princess in January. We are trying to decide which flights to book (flying into FLL). The flight down is great, but the return flight has limited options.

Currently, we have the option of a 6:30 pm return flight, which means we'll be sitting in the airport all day (even if we did a shore excursion, we would still be sitting in the airport for close to 4 hours). We've done 4 pm flights before, and felt like we wasted an entire day. We were exhausted when we got home, just from sitting in the airport. It was worse than driving 10 hours home.

We could choose the 2:15 pm flight, but it is almost 2x the cost of the other flights.

The other option is a 10:45 am flight. This is the one we are really wanting to get. However, is it too early? I know people have said that they've gotten to the airport for an early flight with time to spare, but I'm not sure if it is safe. We would love to be off the ship and on the plane that quickly, but I just don't know if we can do it.

We don't really want to rent a car for the day, or even stay at a hotel. We want to come on home. If you had these options, what would you do?

Thanks for your opinons!

Amanda

10:45 is pretty early. You might take the chance if you were to get off the ship first, grab a cab and make a bee line to the airport. BUT..........many unforseen things can happen when disembarking which can delay it.

This is one of those things that COULD be possible, but more than likely it is impossibly.

Depends on how much of a gambler you are. :confused: :confused:

Hi,

As a former TA, I would recommend that you spend the day in the Pompano/FKLL area and take the 630pm flight.

Why not hop on a car rental bus to th4e airport and rent a car for the day. That way you could pre-check in your bags for your flight and enjoy the day. Car rentals at FLL airport monopolize the better part of Level 2 in the airport parkade.

That way, with a car, you can visit Butterfly World & the flea market up on Samples Rd or spend a few relaxing hours at Lauderdale By The Sea or visiting Hollywood. Have a great cruise and enjoy Florida for a few hours.

Ciao for now!!!

I think you could make it to the airport on time if all went right with the ship. Princess is usually very efficient when disembarking passengers and you could get a red tag to get off first. The bigger hassle is at the airport itself, with security, checking in, etc. I don't think I'd chance it, but I believe you could make it if you really had your act together and know the ropes well.

Here's another option you may want to consider if your vacation time allows, why not book a hotel room for the day of disembarkation. You can relax and enjoy the day, and then catch an early morning flight home the next day. Just a suggestion.

We've made that flight time twice on the Grand Princess. For us we loved getting home to see the kids and the price of that flight was too hard to resist. Of course you would want to make sure to go to the pursers desk and get one of the early tags for getting off the ship and one tip we found helpfull was to use on of the porters to help with your luggage. They get you right out the door and to a cab fast. Well worth the tip money.

That said though last year we were on the CB and ended up staying the night in Ft. Lauderdale and this fall we did have the option of the 10:45 flight but decided to take the 12:30 flight instead. Kids are with us and the price was the same so it wasn't worth the little bit of extra worry to get home 2 hours sooner.

Scott

we are booked for a 5:30pm flight in september. We are getting a rental car and going to the beach for the day. nothing like extending our cruise another few hours before heading home.

We had the same problem where the flights around noon were either not available when we booked or were more expensive when we booked. Oh well. We will do just fine another day away from home and the kids.

If everything goes right, you would be able to make the flight. However, if there's any kind of delay in disembarkation or long lines at the airport, both of which are very possible, it'll be very tight. When we got back from a lovely Caribbean Princess cruise last January, there were 9 or 10 ships docking on the same day at the same time. We disembarked late and people were begging, crying to get off the ship but they couldn't. Once we disembarked, there were few cabs because of the number of ships and I was very glad I'd bought a transfer since people were pushing and shoving to get cabs. I was able to just stroll over, hand over my suitcase, board the bus and we took off 5 minutes later. Once at the airport, the outside check-in took almost 30 minutes and inside, it was even worse. The security line and check-in took another 30 - 45 minutes. If I'd had a 10:45AM flight, I would have missed it. Why add that stress to the end of a vacation?

The other thing to consider is when people say, "Oh, I had an earlier flight and made it with no problems!", take into consideration the time of year. That might be true in August but January is a very busy cruise time as well as vacation time in FL and the port and airport will be crowded.

It's always possible to make a flight earlier than noon and I've done it myself on an 11:20AM flight. But keep in mind that there's a reason why flights before noon aren't recommended.

Well, I guess everyone has confirmed my gut feeling. I figured 10:45 would be pushing it, but I thought I would ask everyone here. We may get a rental car, but I'm worried about getting lost, etc. I guess we could stay up all night the last night of the cruise and spend the time in the airport sleeping! At least that would give us a chance to extend our "awake" time on the ship. :D

We may even decide to take a Princess shore excursion in FLL. We have time to think about it. Right now, I'll hold off on booking the flights, and maybe the price of the 2:15 flight will come down.

Thanks for your help!

If the 10:45 is a Sunday or Saturday you will encounter long lines ay the airport - There should be no problem geytting there if the ship is on time - we now usually stay en extra day - just in case.

Ron

We had the 10:45 flight out of FLL in January and were sitting at the gate at 9am. The trick is that you MUST get the colored tags that get you off the ship first, grab a porter to help you find your bags, tip him well to get you through the lines quickly, and hail a cab...never take the Princess shuttle. I hear a lot about long lines at FLL but we've never had any problems.

We had the 10:45 flight out of FLL in January and were sitting at the gate at 9am. The trick is that you MUST get the colored tags that get you off the ship first, grab a porter to help you find your bags, tip him well to get you through the lines quickly, and hail a cab...never take the Princess shuttle. I hear a lot about long lines at FLL but we've never had any problems.
That's all very well and good but what if the ship hadn't even started disembarkation until 9:30 or 9:45AM? I've had that happen several times. Red colored tags wouldn't have gotten you off the ship any earlier. :( Yes, it's very possible if the ship starts disembarkation at 8AM but that's not a given nor would I count on it. I'd rather bring a book and read at the airport (or take a tour) than have that kind of possible stress.

I've been in Southern CA many times and people have always warned me about the awful traffic on 5 and 405, yet I've never seen it nor been in it. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist or I don't need to plan on it taking 45 minutes to get to SNA rather than the "normal" 15-20 minutes.

Just off the CB! Our flight on disembarkation day was at 11:05 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Princess monitors flight times well and they made sure we were there. The couple in front of us had a 10:45 and were fine too. About mid week, they ask all passengers with flights before 11:15 to check in at the purser's desk. Only difference with us is that we booked through Princess Air, so they had to get us there. It's a risk though. Might not hurt to go with the flight that is just a bit later.

Pam,

Anything is possible, and sure, you might not get off the ship in time. But if you're supposed to dock at 7am, chances are pretty darn good that you can get off the ship by 8:30 or 9...plenty of time for a 10:45 flight. Some of us do not want to spend several hours in an airport. As always, let the buyer beware and know that there is always a chance to miss your flight. Heck, you could miss a noon flight if everything didn't go well.

Another option, and one I've seen done several times is to get the later flight and go to the airport and get on standby for the earlier flight (if you get there on time). The downside of course is that if you don't get on it you'll be stuck at the airport for awhile.

By the way, if you haven't seen the traffic on the 5 or 405 freeways, you haven't been on them ;)

Hi! We took a FLL excursion while on the Island in October of 2003, and we loved it! I thought it was the best excusion of the trip, and it really made for a fantastic end of the trip. I felt like it extended my trip by a day. I totally understand your wanting to get home asap, I know the feeling. I am off the ship, I just want to go home. HOWEVER, (granted this is the Mexico trip), but we almost missed our 2PM flight on the Diamond in October. There was a serious customs related delay, and disembarkation didnt BEGIN until 11.45. When we boarded the Diamond 3 weeks ago in Seattle, they had a surprise immigration inspection where the entire crew has to get off before single passenger, and when we arrived at 11.45 they were still letting people off. We heard that the red group was called at about 9.45. There is no way you can make a flight with those issues. BUT, it really depends on your risk tolerance. I personally hate to end a trip rushed and stressed. -- Not to overlaod you with horror stories, but I know I prefer to know the wrost case scenario!--

Like someone said earlier, what are the penalties for missing your flight and taking the later (if there is space avaialble)? What if that flight is full, is the next option the next day??

Good luck, and have a great trip!

Casey

I agree with Pam from MA. It can't be stressed enough that arrival in FLL could be late or in our case, problem with the longshoremen that particular day. We had a 12:30pm flight and made it with no problem, but did not exactly have time to spare.

I would take the excursion offered, they will get you to the airport around 2:30 (don't quote me on that). By the time you clear your tickets, baggage, etc. it will take about an hour. The lines are crazy. There are a couple of places to have a bite to eat and before long you will go through security, which can take a while. I noticed the last time we were there, there were signs telling you what flight times were being accepted through security.

Believe me, once you go through, you won't want to chance coming out for any reason.:eek:

I'd book the early flight.

I once had a 4pm flight, and we got to the airport, ate at Chili's... and was bored out of my mind for several hours!!

For me personally, I don't think I'd be up for an excursion as I get off the ship.

By the way, if you haven't seen the traffic on the 5 or 405 freeways, you haven't been on them ;)
I guess I just haven't been on them at the "right" or wrong time. :) The only time I've been really stuck has been on the Laguna Canyon Road at Festival time.

Pam,

Traffic out here is just getting plain silly. All times of the day and night, Saturday and Sunday, you name it. There something wrong when you leave for work at 3am and still hit bumper to bumper traffic!!

Any way, one thing I would like to point out about taking a chance on the early flight. I didn't notice that the OP was from NC. Since the flight shouldn't take too long, I would probably wait for a later flight. For me, a late flight means arriving very late in Cali and really drags you out. It's worth the risk for me to get the earlier flight. Also, and obviously, I may be willing to risk a return flight, but I would never risk a later flight to get to the ship. Missing the cruise is just not an option :)

Our flight to FLL would be first thing in the morning. It leaves at 7:50 am and is supposed to arrive about 9:45 am. This gives us several hours to play with if our flight is delayed for weather, etc. Especially in January...if we see the first snowflake, the whole city shuts down for days. :eek: :D

In all likelihood, we'll probably book the 6:30 flight, but we're going to keep our fingers crossed that the 2:15 flights drops in $$. I'll have my credit card in hand ready to book it!

Hey, great question about return flights...something I have not given much thought to - What are your dates for the January cruise on CP? My wife and I are set for the 1/7-1/14 sailing. I have noticed with Southwest Airlines, that they are not recieving reservations as far out as Jan. Who are you booking air with?

Shane

Another thought. Have you looked into taking an early morning flight the day after the cruise ends? We did that last year for the first time and it was very relaxing. Took our time in the dining room for breakfast then sat in the theater and watched CNN on the movie screen while we waited to head off the ship. Spent a nice day by the hotel pool and took an early (and in our case cheaper then the Sat flights) AM flight home the next morning at 7:30 or so.Scott

Living the Dream: We are planning the 1/7-1/14 cruise. We will fly out of Clt, which won't work with Southwest, as they don't utilize the Clt airport. We are looking at United or US Air, as they are direct flights. United now has a 2:15 flight that is only about $75 more per person. This is probably what we will do.

Sproctor: We have considered staying over night on Saturday, but Sunday's return flights are even more expensive than Saturday. So we won't save any money, but we could extend our vacation by a day.

Archived