Victoria Tube Station

There will be six of us going from Heathrow to Victoria Station with probably 1 large suitcase and 1 carryone each. Does this station have steps? Is it feasible to do this? We will be traveling on Sunday morning.

Thanks!

Are you definitely on the Tube? Victoria has the Tube, coach and train (overground) stations. If you are using the Tube it does not have lifts (elevators), just escalators and steps. A good website to look on is www. tfl.gov.uk. This is the London transport site and is very useful. It allows you to plan journeys and also gives details about all its stations.

I assume the OP is thinking of doing the Picadilly line and change to District at Baron's Court or Hammersmith for Victoria. This is not a bad option, especially on a Sunday.

Difficult to be precise about Victoria at the moment, as it is undergoing a 5 year rebuilding process. The District line is a near-surface line, so it's not too bad, but there will be stairs from the platform to get up to ticket hall level and then to street level. I can't think of escalators from the District line?

Hopefully someone who has been through recently can give better advice!

The OP is travelling on a Sunday morning, so hopefully not as horrific as you describe :)

According to a reliable access guide you'll have about 24 steps to ticket hall level and 17 to street. But, as I said, I don't know which routes are open during this phase of the rebuilding.

http://www.directenquiries.com/information/Victoria/74446/summary/information.aspx

The District line is a near-surface line, so it's not too bad, but there will be stairs from the platform to get up to ticket hall level and then to street level. I can't think of escalators from the District line?
No escalators from the District Line platforms either to ticket hall level or street level.

No escalators from the District Line platforms either to ticket hall level or street level.

Thanks, that's what I thought, but two other posters mentioned escalators :)

OP - where's your hotel? Unless it's the Grosvenor Hotel, attached to the station, you also have a bit of luggage dragging at street level too... Yor private transfer quote sounds pretty good and will be quicker than usual on a Sunday morning (assuming there are no major events on).

HI,

We are 2 senior citizens coming from Heathrow to our hotel (7min walk from Victoria Station). Our best advice came from the tripAdvisor uk travel forum. Yes, Victoria Station (we are told) has steps and no elevators which could be nearly impossible with luggage. So, this is what the travel experts say to do, and we are going to follow their directions.

Arriving at terminal 4...purchase tube tickets for 5.30 pounds. Take the Piccadilly line, and get off at Hyde Park (where there are escalators & elevators) to street level. Then take a cab to hotel for 8 pounds.

TripAdvisor uk London travel forum is a great place to get answers to all your land travel questions.:)

HI,

We are 2 senior citizens coming from Heathrow to our hotel (7min walk from Victoria Station). Our best advice came from the tripAdvisor uk travel forum. Yes, Victoria Station (we are told) has steps and no elevators which could be nearly impossible with luggage. So, this is what the travel experts say to do, and we are going to follow their directions.

Arriving at terminal 4...purchase tube tickets for 5.30 pounds. Take the Piccadilly line, and get off at Hyde Park (where there are escalators & elevators) to street level. Then take a cab to hotel for 8 pounds.

TripAdvisor uk London travel forum is a great place to get answers to all your land travel questions.:)

Well I hope we do a reasonable job here, too :)

There are no lifts (elevators) at Hyde Park Corner, by the way - escalators up from the deep platforms. It's a reasonable alternative, but you do need to be sure you can drag your luggage up some fairly long ramps, which are the step-free access from the ticket hall (and only for some of the several exits from the station, which feed in to an extensive pedestrian subway system under a busy traffic junction). One thing to look out for there is the old-style tiling on the platforms - Hyde Park Corner has the name of the station spelled out.

HI,

have not seen you post on our roll call thread -

we are sen cit also -

beware of escalators w/ luggage -

i fell last year & my hip still hurts -

recently my jim had slight accident

on motorcycle & broke 4 ribs:eek:

we have hired private car just airports

from heathrow to luna simone in london,

greatbritain for london to southampton

w/ 2 hr stop at windsor,

greatbritain for southampton to stratford upon avon

w/ stop at swerford,

& justairports from oxford to heathrow

it may cost a bit, but the time & ease of transport

is worth it to us - we are taking NO chances of reinjury !!!:o

only bus or train will be from stratford to oxford -

we figure we can manage that one

but may change mind about that one also !:rolleyes:

come join us on our thread - i'm making name tags for the M & G

on june 30 at 4 pm in wheelhouse;)

have not seen you post on our roll call thread -

we are sen cit also -

beware of escalators w/ luggage -

i fell last year & my hip still hurts -

recently my jim had slight accident

on motorcycle & broke 4 ribs:eek:

we have hired private car just airports

from heathrow to luna simone in london,

greatbritain for london to southampton

w/ 2 hr stop at windsor,

greatbritain for southampton to stratford upon avon

w/ stop at swerford,

& justairports from oxford to heathrow

it may cost a bit, but the time & ease of transport

is worth it to us - we are taking NO chances of reinjury !!!:o

only bus or train will be from stratford to oxford -

we figure we can manage that one

but may change mind about that one also !:rolleyes:

come join us on our thread - i'm making name tags for the M & G

on june 30 at 4 pm in wheelhouse;)

Thanks for the invitation. I thank you for the M&G invitation, but I'm not sure DH and I would be able to attend. We never know exactly what or where we might end up when not on a tour, so we don't want to be a "no show."

Donna & Gary

Thanks for the invitation. I thank you for the M&G invitation, but I'm not sure DH and I would be able to attend. We never know exactly what or where we might end up when not on a tour, so we don't want to be a "no show."

Donna & Gary

no problem if you don't show up ! but hope to see you there !:)

8 of us in so calif met for lunch at macaroni grill april 13 -

we are on several tours w/ some of them

i have learned that what makes the sailings so memorable

is not just the ports but the people we meet along the way !!;)

no problem if you don't show up ! but hope to see you there !:)

8 of us in so calif met for lunch at macaroni grill april 13 -

we are on several tours w/ some of them

i have learned that what makes the sailings so memorable

is not just the ports but the people we meet along the way !!;)

Thank you, we'll keep the invitation on our "should do" list.;)

• 3 weeks later...
Well I hope we do a reasonable job here, too :)

There are no lifts (elevators) at Hyde Park Corner, by the way - escalators up from the deep platforms. It's a reasonable alternative, but you do need to be sure you can drag your luggage up some fairly long ramps, which are the step-free access from the ticket hall (and only for some of the several exits from the station, which feed in to an extensive pedestrian subway system under a busy traffic junction). One thing to look out for there is the old-style tiling on the platforms - Hyde Park Corner has the name of the station spelled out.

Cotswold Eagle I hope you can answer this. Luna Simone told me to take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and then change to the District line to Victoria Station but I've read that the District line is closed this weekend. Do you think we should go to Hyde Park Corner and take a taxi from there? We have one rolling luggage each.

Thank you!

Cotswold Eagle I hope you can answer this. Luna Simone told me to take the Piccadilly line to Hammersmith and then change to the District line to Victoria Station but I've read that the District line is closed this weekend. Do you think we should go to Hyde Park Corner and take a taxi from there? We have one rolling luggage each.

Thank you!

Your alternative plan is a good one (welcome to the Underground at weekends!) But there are a couple of alternative ways to do it on the tube.

The relevant closure on the District Line is Hammersmith to South Kensington. So you could change from the Piccadilly at either South Kensington to the District (not an easy interchange, if I remember correctly) or at Green Park for the Victoria Line (the trick here with luggage is to take the escalators to the ticket hall - follow signs for Way Out, NOT for Victoria Line - but don't go through the gates, take the escalator back down to the Victoria Line).

If you are planning on rolling your luggage to the hotel, I imagine you can manage the Green Park change :)

Your alternative plan is a good one (welcome to the Underground at weekends!) But there are a couple of alternative ways to do it on the tube.

The relevant closure on the District Line is Hammersmith to South Kensington. So you could change from the Piccadilly at either South Kensington to the District (not an easy interchange, if I remember correctly) or at Green Park for the Victoria Line (the trick here with luggage is to take the escalators to the ticket hall - follow signs for Way Out, NOT for Victoria Line - but don't go through the gates, take the escalator back down to the Victoria Line).

If you are planning on rolling your luggage to the hotel, I imagine you can manage the Green Park change :)

Thank you so much. You are so helpful. I had emailed the hotel and they had just written back to go to Green Park BUT they didn't tell me the trick! Much appreciated!

Archived