My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

It looks like anyone on the bridge will be able to see me if I am at the front part of my balcony. Is that correct?

Looks like we will have complete privacy in the hot tub though.;) .

Just came across this photo which shows the shadow of the bridge above which clearly indicates your privacy. Plus the bridge is set back from the "roof" over the deck

allowing sight only of the 5-6 foot far corner.

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=1314137315904

On the other hand, the passenger has no symptoms 19 days after exposure and is in voluntary isolation. Everyone is exercising every precaution. This should make us less fearful, not more....

Just came across this photo which shows the shadow of the bridge above which clearly indicates your privacy. Plus the bridge is set back from the "roof" over the deck

allowing sight only of the 5-6 foot far corner.

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=1314137315904

When I made my final payment to the cruiseline, I spoke with an absolutely delightful Cuban girl who could not answer a couple of questions, but obtained the answers and got back to me within half an hour. Most impressive. She confirmed what you are saying and we laughed over the possibility of a couple of scenarios.

Never before have I enjoyed so much a conversation with a cruiseline representative. If all the crew on the ship are equally delightful and helpful, we are in for a fabulous time.

CubaCruises could not have come along at a better time. The prices are listed in Canadian dollars and so those are the price we will pay. When vacations are listed in US dollars we have to take into consideration the currency conversion which today is running at about 15% credit card use. Journals are indicating that before long the exchange rate will be running at about 20% card conversion.

Using that prediction as a yardstick for our current b2b booking in February 2015, we will save* $1,501. CDN by booking with a Canadian company in Canadian funds for a Caribbean cruise holiday. Not a bad deal *if we could have booked this cruise with a US company. But the beauty of this monitory conversion is that the Americans can book this cruise with this calculated saving in their bank. The exchange rate cloud does have a bit of a silver lining...

The GrapeVine tells us that the Louis Cristal will be placed in dry dock on November 7th. Nice to know that she will be refurbished for her voyage to Cuba after her summer Mediterranean season.

There is some rumour that a change in itinerary is in the planning stage involving a stay over in Havana to facilitate the Montego Bay embarking passengers who have but a part day to see the capital. Has anyone heard anything on this? It would seem that to do so they would have to give up something to maintain a 7 day schedule, a choice I would not want to have to make.

The GrapeVine tells us that the Louis Cristal will be placed in dry dock on November 7th. Nice to know that she will be refurbished for her voyage to Cuba after her summer Mediterranean season.

There is some rumour that a change in itinerary is in the planning stage involving a stay over in Havana to facilitate the Montego Bay embarking passengers who have but a part day to see the capital. Has anyone heard anything on this? It would seem that to do so they would have to give up something to maintain a 7 day schedule, a choice I would not want to have to make.

That the LC will be in dry dock in November is great news but I certainly don't like the rumour of staying over in Havana and giving up anything else. The ship arrives at 8:30 AM and departs at 1:00 AM the next day. That is a very full day.

People have the choice of sailing out of Havana and arriving early if they wish extra time. Don't mess with our schedule!

HI all!

Ron ~ wish the exchange was more favourable right now for going to the States. I'm cruising out of Boston on Nov 7 & need some of those costly US $$. I guess the dry dock is partially to apply the decals.;)

I can't see where any change would be necessary for Havana for as burm says we have a long day there.

burm ~ talking about Havana, I went to Bulk Barn & looks like Havana Nights mix has been discontinued here.:(

Paul ~ we're not coming early to Montego Bay this time but last time we stayed one night at Doctors Cave Beach hotel which had a good location but was sort of a tired hotel in a nice setting. I wanted to go to Rocklands Bird Sanctuary which we did & really enjoyed. We're not ones to enjoy pools or beaches so won't stay over again.

Ciao.

~ Jo ~ :)

burm ~ talking about Havana, I went to Bulk Barn & looks like Havana Nights mix has been discontinued here.:(

It was a nice mix, but I am not surprised that it has been discontinued. I expect that is why it was 50% off when I bought it.

My favourite is the Country Style mix with lots of teeth breaking corn pieces.

It was a nice mix, but I am not surprised that it has been discontinued. I expect that is why it was 50% off when I bought it.

My favourite is the Country Style mix with lots of teeth breaking corn pieces.

Still available in NS, where I am now. I fear it might be very stale!!:mad:

May I ask where you heard this? I called Cuban Cruise to ask if there were any basis for this rumour, but the person with whom I spoke knew nothing of it and thought it highly unlikely, because schedules were set. She asked if I wanted her to check into it, but I thought that was likely premature at this point.

So the answer is, we'll know when we know.

May I ask where you heard this? I called Cuban Cruise to ask if there were any basis for this rumour, but the person with whom I spoke knew nothing of it and thought it highly unlikely, because schedules were set. She asked if I wanted her to check into it, but I thought that was likely premature at this point.

So the answer is, we'll know when we know.

As I have previously indicated I established contact with Cuban staff that were aboard the Cristal on our last sailing. They were fully aware of the dry dock date but asked if I could find out if what they had heard about a future stopover schedule in Havana was true. I get the impression they would like it to be true, it being their home port...

... Ron... I guess the dry dock is partially to apply the decals.;)

Jo, they would need more than the two weeks in dry dock to attached that many stickers...:D I find it strange that the very delightful floral design painted over the bow of the ship is removed when returning to the Mediterranean and replaced again in the fall in preparation for the Cuba run. But I have to say though that the condition of the ship as it went into Cuban service was most impressive. I think you can count on the same this second season as we will do our utmost to keep it that way as we sail over in December...

I haven't had much luck finding one. $164 CAD PP from the ship !! Ouch. 6.5 hours. The tour operator mentioned in another post doesn't do them. I'm not so sure that I want to roll the dice with a local cab. Any thoughts ??

We are leaning towards catching a taxi. 90 minutes one way, cost approx. $40 each way. Ship docks 10:AM, ships tour 1:00PM, we can be in Trinidad before they even leave on their tour.

If we spend a couple of hours in Trinidad, we should have plenty of time to allow for mini disasters. There should be a reasonable amount of traffic on the road, in case we get stuck.

The next port is Punta Frances.Isle of Youth. I see no excursions. Am I correct ? We will be there for 4 hours only. Does anyone know anything about this port ?? Thanks.

This is a Cuban vacation island and comprised primarily of pristine beautiful beaches. The object is to spend some time swimming and relaxing on the beach. The ship's staff join in and a fun day is had by all. Actually for this upcoming season the time allotted to the island will be extended beyond the four hours, but the 4 hours was sufficient for me.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/YouthIsland1.jpg

Edited by ONT-CA

I have a weather question!

I was just thinking about this one. I heard it gets cooler in cuba in the winter months, and since I have never been to Cuba, or on a cruise... how cool is it in the evenings on the ship when its at sea? Should I make sure the hubby packs jeans and perhaps a hoodie or such for evenings?

I always travel with a pair of jeans and a hoodie for airports and cooler nights and stuff, but yah, I am just wondering.

I am getting so excited for this cruise. I have actually booked an NYC shopping trip at the beginning of December to see if I can get some fun stuff for it, oh and to see the NYC Christmas displays!

I have a weather question!

I was just thinking about this one. I heard it gets cooler in cuba in the winter months, and since I have never been to Cuba, or on a cruise... how cool is it in the evenings on the ship when its at sea? Should I make sure the hubby packs jeans and perhaps a hoodie or such for evenings?

I always travel with a pair of jeans and a hoodie for airports and cooler nights and stuff, but yah, I am just wondering...

Basically I agree with this information found on Google:

December, January, and February are the coolest months of the year in Cuba where the average maximum daily temperature is 25C, and an average of 18C at night. During these winter months in Cuba, occasional cold fronts can make their way down from North America, during which, for a period of a couple of days, temperatures at night can drop to around 10C in some places. Rain may or may not accompany these cold fronts.

We were fortunate last season that if anything I found the temperature to be a little on the hot side. There were no cold blasts which might have been a blessing on one occasion. But remember, unlike vacationing on land, the ship is a comfortable controlled environment in which we spent most evenings with dining and entertainment. During the day ashore, a plastic poncho and/or a folding umbrella can come in handy with sudden but short bursts of heavy rain which the locals seem to not even notice.

Edited by ONT-CA

I always travel with a pair of jeans and a hoodie for airports and cooler nights and stuff, but yah, I am just wondering.

I have to say that I have never been on this particular cruiseline, but we would never pack jeans to go on a cruise. We have never been on a line that allowed them in the dining room, so they are pretty much waste space in a suitcase if you can't wear them everywhere, as you can with a casual pair of Dockers type pants (comfortable, nice looking, washable, and fast drying).

Versatility is always the key to choosing travel wear.

Even when cruising in the tropics, I would always pack a couple of nice sweaters, shrug, blazer, shawl, something to keep me warm in highly air conditioned rooms. A hoodie would be fine for a late night stroll on a windy deck, but even on a casual cruiseline, I don't see wearing it in the dining room.

That being said, the ship is climate controlled and your DH will no doubt be fine with a short sleeved shirt, buttoned or polo type, regardless of outdoor temperature. Men never seem to feel the air conditioning as much as we do.

During the day ashore, a plastic poncho and/or a folding umbrella can come in handy with sudden but short bursts of heavy rain which the locals seem to not even notice.

I like the cheapo ponchos from the dollar stores for travel. They are thin, so fit even in small purses and it doesn't matter if you lose them. Better quality ones sold in travel stores take up a lot more space.

Hi all!

burm ~ I like the cheap dollar store ponchos too for the same reason.

DH wears jeans a LOT so I think he probably wore them to the DR as it was pretty casual. I wear them on the plane along with a jacket.

We had nice weather too so hope to have it again. I'd say it's always warmer on the south side of Cuba since it's on the Caribbean.

My BFF from my teen years & her family are looking to book the cruise in March but are confused by the prices. Apparently there are no balcony cabins available for the season which doesn't surprise me since they're so few.

zebraprintsky ~ oh that'll be nice going to NYC to shop & see the decorations. DD & I went once for New Year's Eve & it was very nice.

I love New York, so much to see, do & eat there!;)

Paul ~ I Googled for a tour to Trinidad & didn't see anything either.

I'm taking their tour & just figured out how much the tours I want will cost.:( I stayed briefly at the island as I'm not a beach person but DH went for a nice walk & will do the other direction this time. There was a snorkelling excursion offered but lack of interest made it a no-go.

Have a nice weekend.

~ Jo ~ :)