My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Ok, Thanks for the info on this cabin card/credit card situation. I was reading that I wont be able to use my US issued Mastercard on this trip, and that is my only credit card. And my husband doesn't have a credit card at all... so then what are my options?

I am debating between the cruise excursions and planning my own at the moment. I have already booked my own for Havana thru Havana Journeys for an all day tour for me and the hubs, in a 1950s car, going pretty much everywhere, for 100cuc total. Sounded great to me.

I am trying to figure out a cheaper way to see Trinidad, as 150 per person for that looks like mostly a day of driving pretty much kills my budget so thats not happening. I also dont want to book something then not have the driver show up (As i have read has happened to some people last year on the cruise).

Everyone seems to have Suites booked, I feel like the left out one with my normal obstructed view room. lol. It just is not in my budget to book a fancier room, I hope its good enough for the 2 of us and we arnt disappointed.

... Everyone seems to have Suites booked, I feel like the left out one with my normal obstructed view room. lol. It just is not in my budget to book a fancier room, I hope its good enough for the 2 of us and we arnt disappointed.

You have to remember that we all eat in the same dining room together, ride the same tenders, sit together in the theatre, the bars, on buses and share the sunshine on deck. The only distinction is how we choose to spend our personal private time in our chosen accommodation.

Ok, Thanks for the info on this cabin card/credit card situation. I was reading that I wont be able to use my US issued Mastercard on this trip, and that is my only credit card. And my husband doesn't have a credit card at all... so then what are my options?

I am debating between the cruise excursions and planning my own at the moment. I have already booked my own for Havana thru Havana Journeys for an all day tour for me and the hubs, in a 1950s car, going pretty much everywhere, for 100cuc total. Sounded great to me.

I am trying to figure out a cheaper way to see Trinidad, as 150 per person for that looks like mostly a day of driving pretty much kills my budget so thats not happening. I also dont want to book something then not have the driver show up (As i have read has happened to some people last year on the cruise).

Everyone seems to have Suites booked, I feel like the left out one with my normal obstructed view room. lol. It just is not in my budget to book a fancier room, I hope its good enough for the 2 of us and we arnt disappointed.

With regard to the US issued Master Card, phone the cruiseline and ask them directly if it would be acceptable. I don't see why not because Master Card would convert to US dollars. However, why not take out a Canadian Master Card and avoid conversion charges? With our dollar as low as it is, you would be paying considerably more.

We would also be interested in a private tour to Trinidad. Does anyone know if this can be done easily and inexpensively by Taxi? Between 2 couples, the cost would probably not be all that high. The ship's excursion wastes a lot of time.

As to the unobstructed room, I was just relating this story on another thread. We have had a balcony on all but one occasion. Although we felt a little sorry for ourselves initially, we had an amazing time. A few years later when someone asked DH which was his favourite cruise of all time, he quickly told them the XXX cruise, which, strangely enough, was the time we had our inside cabin! He had not even remembered that detail, only the wonderful excursions and the terrific new friends we made.

Remember, this cruise is very port intensive. Also, I hear there is a fabulous Cuban house band and wonderful entertainment. You will not be spending too much time in your cabin anyway.

HI all!

Nice to see some discussion on here, makes it feel more real!

korzh.yury ~ here are some reviews of the ship & Cuba cruise. 2 of the 3 of us who reviewed it would go again.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=ship&ShipID=774

zebraprintsky ~ I think you always have the option to pay your account in cash. I believe a US Mastercard would be okay on the ship since we're dealing in Canadian funds but you wouldn't be able to use it to make purchases in Cuba, I imagine. Better check that out with the cruise line.

We're in an oceanview which is what we had last time & really liked it.

burm ~ that's a great story. I've had different cabin categories & it doesn't really bother me to have an inside. You're in the cabin so little. I must say though that I really liked my cove balcony on Carnival, not too sunny & close to the water. Just sitting on our couch on Cristal I could see flying fish or dolphins (whatever they were) so I was thrilled.

Ron ~ I was wondering have you ever seen the Northern Lights from your place? Something made me think you're from north of Kingston where the astronomer lives, right?

Ciao.

~ Jo ~ :)

Found this re: Credit and Debit Cards:

With regard to the use of Credit or Debit cards in Cuba the following applies. No card issued by a bank that has any connection with the United States will be accepted in Cuba. Therefore Capital One, American Express, Egg and MBNA cards will not work in Cuba. Debit cards with the VISA logo are usually accepted by your tour rep to pay for trips as well as purchasing goods at outlets that accept debit cards. They can be used in ATM's (if you can find one and it is working) or to draw money from a Cadeca or Bank. MASTERCARDS will not be accepted in ATM's but, as with VISA cards, so long as they are issued by a non US based bank, can be used to draw cash at the counter of a Cadeca or Bank.

While the Purser's desk aboard the ship will take a US issued credit card to finalize your account it is useless within Cuba. Avoid bringing US currency as there is a 10% surcharge for converting it. No surcharge for Canadian or European currencies.

Jo, you are correct regarding the Yarker connection

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Dickinson

and yes when first moving here from Montreal was aghast at the view of the heavens, there being so little light pollution not even street lighting. Alas that has now changed with development, much to Terry's dismay. The display of the Northern Lights is less intense and viewed less often now. But these clear and unusually warm, welcomed fall evenings allows for the chaise position of star gazing which never ceases to amaze me.

I should not have posted before I was fully awake. I was thinking of the $US Master Card being accepted on the ship, not in port.

Jo, what is a cove balcony? It sounds so cozy.

Zebraprintsky, how are you paying for this cruise? I hope not on your US credit card, if you are Canadian.

Anyone else get the email? VERY good prices.

Incredible prices, but like the other offer of free air, you no doubt have to go straight to and from the ship - no extra days allowed. That would not suit us.

As we have already booked our flights with AC at $675 pp, I am not sure I want to know if this latest offer can allow for extra days. :p

Also, I think that I would be a nervous wreck flying out of Canada in February without at least one night in Havana pre-cruise.

... Zebraprintsky, how are you paying for this cruise? I hope not on your US credit card, if you are Canadian.

There should be no problem with using the US card. The charges will be converted from Canadian into US funds (which will then make the price less by the exchange rate) But of course payment must then be in US funds.

Charges for the Trans Atlantic Cristal sailing exceeded the amount of travel insurance coverage built into our Canadian cards. So we broke up the charges into four, used four separate cards, two of which were US cards. This then gave us full coverage. The cost of doing so was the exchange rate fluctuation, in that what we gained in the reduction of fare to US funds was lost in having to purchase US dollars for payment. And would't you know it, the rate moved NOT in our favour. However the cost of this conversion was but a fraction of what we would have had to pay to buy the insurance coverage needed. Pick a card....

Now I'm curious. Who of those posting and are going on the ship have sailed on the Louis Crystal before ? Greece ? Cuba ? Other ??

We did a back to back aboard the Cristal last February. That encouraged us to book another b2b for February 2015. But unlike last year's season opening when she sailed from Greece with crew only, this year she will be carrying us from Athen to Cuba in November-December.

There should be no problem with using the US card. The charges will be converted from Canadian into US funds (which will then make the price less by the exchange rate) But of course payment must then be in US funds.

Exactly- as a Canadian, Zebraprintsky would be paying twice for conversion, Canadian to US, then back again.

I don't mean to hammer the point, but I hate the thought of throwing money out the window when it is so quick and easy to apply for a Canadian no fee card.

Perhaps zebraprintsky's DH could take out the new card in his name, so they he would also have a form of emergency credit. My DH always carries a different card from mine, just in case one is lost, or for some bizarre reason it is not accepted. Before I travelled to Argentina, I advised Master Card during 4 different conversations that I would be out of the country. Two days before an excursion, I was told that my card was not accepted. They would not accept a significant charge because they were unaware that I was out of the country. :confused: Because of daily limits, I could not withdraw enough cash in time to pay for the excursion on my debit card.

A second credit card, kept in a different location, is always a good idea when travelling.

HI again.

Ron ~ thanks for that link. It's quite dark here too so I've seen lots of stars but no Northern Lights.;)

burm ~ here's a picture of the cove balcony. It's sort of built into the side of the ship, is shaded by the life boats & is quite close to the water.

The balconies are actually a little larger than the regular ones, can be closed during bad weather & have a nice ledge for one's feet or a drink.

2Q==

Always good to have an extra c/c as I recently found out. We had dinner out before driving to the airport hotel & DH's M/C was declined because there was a hold on mine due to it being compromised. My VIsa was declined too as I had tried to use it with the wrong pin too many times so I had to use another card then find a bank machine near the airport to change the pin. It was a harrowing experience driving an unfamiliar car in the dark & rain but I survived & went on to charge again!:o

Liz54 ~ I didn't get the email but then that might be a good thing.

~ Jo ~ :)

I paid for my cruise in cash.

I am not a person who likes to put things on credit if I can stand it and I don't pay for things if I don't have the money for them. So when I do go on trips etc, I pay for it in cash, or else I don't go.

I travel very frequently, I have just never been on a cruise before, as to be honest, I have never really wanted to. But since my husband has been dying to take a cruise, and I am down there for 3 weeks anyway, and we usually just do a week all-inclusive to get away from the inlaws, I figured this would be a cool option

I use my credit card for emergencies and if and when it is needed, It is a US issued card (Captial One) but its in Canadian Funds/ I did not want to use it on the cruise, as I rather just pay for things in cash. Easier for me, and the husband (as he doesn't have access to my credit card) and to keep track of spending. My husband is Jamaican, nobody is going to give him a credit card. LOL. And I am not taking out another one just for a cruise.

I am spending 2 weeks in Jamaica before the cruise with my husband, and as a frequent traveller, I always travel with Canadian Cash, then exchange it to JA when I am on the island. I was going to take Canadian Cash to Cuba and exchange that into cuc while I am on the island. All of my excursions that I plan on booking thru the ship, will be paid for in advance.

Even though you would rather finalize your shipboard account in cash which many people do, it will be necessary for you to give them your credit card information. But advise them that in concluding the cruise you will settle your account in cash. Without this credit card information there would be a required cash deposit. I know it's a lot of information to take in but we all had to go through this learning curve.

Incredible prices, but like the other offer of free air, you no doubt have to go straight to and from the ship - no extra days allowed. That would not suit us.

As we have already booked our flights with AC at $675 pp, I am not sure I want to know if this latest offer can allow for extra days. :p

Also, I think that I would be a nervous wreck flying out of Canada in February without at least one night in Havana pre-cruise.

I agree, but the air at $200 PP is causing us to re-think. Maybe we will miss the ship (weather for example) and have to spend a week in Havana! That would be PERFECT.....:D

We are waiting for a call back and changing our minds every few minutes!

Or, you could just stay on the ship for another week. :D

I'm sure that in the unlikely event that passengers for whatever reason could not leave the ship at the disembarkation port that the purser would find alternate accommodation for them somewhere on the ship, perhaps....

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Hammock-old4-1.jpg :D

I'm sure that in the unlikely event that passengers for whatever reason could not leave the ship at the disembarkation port that the purser would find alternate accommodation for them somewhere on the ship, perhaps....

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af114/Yarkerhill/Hammock-old4-1.jpg :D

That hammock would kill my back. I am sticking to our previous arrangement - the tent on your deck. Please try to be quiet if you are going to splash in the Jacuzzi after midnight.

I guess I can use a US CC on the ship. I understand that I can't use a US CC in Cuba or US cash. Since I will get the ship in Mo Bay why don't I swap some US dollars for J dollars and use them in Cuba ? Think this will work ? How widely are J dollars accepted in Cuba ?? Thoughts ?? Thanks.

I guess I can use a US CC on the ship. I understand that I can't use a US CC in Cuba or US cash. Since I will get the ship in Mo Bay why don't I swap some US dollars for J dollars and use them in Cuba ? Think this will work ? How widely are J dollars accepted in Cuba ?? Thoughts ?? Thanks.

Whatever currency you come ashore with aught be converted to CUC's, the legal currency of tourism. As mentioned you would want to avoid the 10% penalty for US currency so I would suggest you complete any currency conversion before departure choosing one that is to your advantage. And at the moment the weak "everything" is at your disposal. The Canadian dollar for example at the moment be purchased for about 90 cents US.

We found that foreign currency is frowned upon in purchasing for whatever reason although gladly accepted as gratuities. And on that latter point we are altering our practices. Previously while ashore in Cuba we were obtaining as many one CUC coins as we could find (no easy task) in using them aboard as tips with drink orders and the like thinking that they could be used by staff when they go ashore. Pointless giving our Loonie ($1 coin) as Canadian coins are not accepted nor exchanged. But in both upcoming sailings we will be using US $ingles for this purpose leaving their conversion or use in the capable hands of the recipients.

Edited by ONT-CA

ONT-CA, please advise how you purchased the B2B cruise. When I check the website, it shows cruises with and without air, but I wondered if you did it by phone and purchased your own air. I looked at air from Syracuse and it connects in Charlotte and is a relatively good price. As I have over a year to go ( and hope that it is still a viable option then), nothing is urgent; I just like to know the possibilities.

Nikki