My Cuba Cruise

Balloon Man

Doing a little planning for our March cruise and was wondering what most people are budgeting for cash to convert to cuc? We'll be bring CAD. Would $1000 be a good amount to cover spending money in all the ports? We've booked a private car that will cost probably $250-300 CUC in Havana.

Doing a little planning for our March cruise and was wondering what most people are budgeting for cash to convert to cuc? We'll be bring CAD. Would $1000 be a good amount to cover spending money in all the ports? We've booked a private car that will cost probably $250-300 CUC in Havana.

Firstly, by using Canadian dollars in conversion transactions you will be penalized by an exchange rate of approximately 35%. The CUC is based on a par value with the US dollar. Because currency exchange can be made at each port upon arrival, we convert more on necessity for the day, drinks and food being fairly minimal costs. Purchasing too many CUC's and having to convert back upon leaving the country will also cost you in buy/sell exchange rates. Other than the currency needed for your car hire I would suggest you carry no more than 100 CUC's with you. Remember businesses do now accept US credit cards and there are banks to use a debit card. Hope this helps

Chimo

Ron

Firstly, by using Canadian dollars in conversion transactions you will be penalized by an exchange rate of approximately 35%. The CUC is based on a par value with the US dollar. Because currency exchange can be made at each port upon arrival, we convert more on necessity for the day, drinks and food being fairly minimal costs. Purchasing too many CUC's and having to convert back upon leaving the country will also cost you in buy/sell exchange rates. Other than the currency needed for your car hire I would suggest you carry no more than 100 CUC's with you. Remember businesses do now accept US credit cards and there are banks to use a debit card. Hope this helps

Chimo

Ron

Thanks. From my understanding of I were to bring USD I'd be taxed 10% plus a 3% change fee in Cuba. By changing to CAD here in the states, I lose 3% before the trip and 3% exchanging cad to cuc. Correct?

But if you buy Canadian with USD to begin with, you get a huge advantage, and no additional 10% penalty. For example, last season I changed $125 Canadian to 95.98 CUC. But it only cost me $99 US to get that $125 Canadian. If I had changed $99 USD to CUCs I would've only gotten 86 CUC.

I ended up with half of the 125 CUC left by the last day of the week, btw.

Edited by oneidealvacation

Thanks. From my understanding of I were to bring USD I'd be taxed 10% plus a 3% change fee in Cuba. By changing to CAD here in the states, I lose 3% before the trip and 3% exchanging cad to cuc. Correct?

Yes, our posts crossed ;) There is a 10% penalty on the US currency in addition to the 3% change fee in Cuba. Better yet, if you had a way to get money from an ATM in Canada or Europe (Euros), you'd get almost an even exchange with no fees (unless your bank charges a fee). Then you're down to just the 3% fee. But it does apply in both directions, so changing a bit at a time is advisable.

... There is a 10% penalty on the US currency in addition to the 3% change fee in Cuba.

With the recent implementation of the agreement to once again exchange US and Cuban ambassadors, there were several announcements made, one of which was that the use of credit cards drawn on US banks would now be accepted in Cuba. And with that, my understanding was that the 10% surcharge on the conversion of US currency to CUC's would no longer apply. Is there anyone on this board who has visited Cuba since this bilateral agreement was implemented and who has converted US currency? We would appreciate any comments on this subject. Thanks.

I haven't yet been to Cuba, but earlier this week I tried to book reservations at Tropicana nightclub online. Priority seats were listed as $85 US. The reservation seemed to be confirmed, I received a statement (in Spanish) that appeared to indicate my reservation was accepted and paid. But then I got an email from an agent at the Tropicana stating my reservation was NOT confirmed. So, since I used my US based credit card to pay, my assumption is US cards are not yet fully accepted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So, since I used my US based credit card to pay, my assumption is US cards are not yet fully accepted.

The last update I had heard was the MasterCard had announced that their cards could be used in Cuba (and even sent people on a visit to the island as part of a delegation traveling with the NY governor), but that the cards weren't working in practice. Just found this article http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article45458592.html from a couple of weeks ago. "MasterCard stopped blocking Cuban transactions made on its cards issued by U.S. banks on March 1. But until its partnership with Stonegate, no U.S. banks had supported the cards on the island." According to the information I found on Stonegate's site, you have to open the account in person (they have 21 locations in South Florida) with at least $2,500 and sign an affidavit stating your travel to Cuba falls under one of the 12 reasons listed to travel on a general license. It's looking like it will be a while before things change on the banking front.

It appears that the whole subject of US currency usage had turned into a dog's breakfast...

I did find this site for current conversion of Canadian to CUC's

http://coinmill.com

which indicates that the rate is not as sever as I had thought so pre converting US to Canadian and then into CUC's seems to be the way to go at the moment.

Chimo

Perhaps anyone who is familiar with or has seen the movie "Timescape" will understand my bemusement at witnessing first time tourist to Cuba. In the movie, time travellers from the far future book a group tour to return to our present time to witness how we live and how we cope with disasters. As they move about our society they marvel at the outdated technology but with full knowledge of what the future holds for us.

The look on the faces of first timers to Cuba when they encounter the automobiles of their fathers or grandfathers but more astonishingly things like the horse drawn bus-like wagon filled with passengers. To we seniors, so many things that once were are reincarnated for us in Cuba. And like the subject time travellers we know what the future holds.

Chimo

Edited by ONT-CA

burm, not sure how you will feel about this but we are delighted that those teak original lounges and chairs (Titanic) on "our" deck have been replaced with this more modern and unquestionably more comfortable ensemble...

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag158/ONT-CA/dscn2910_zps0rxmofqm.jpg

As long as they don't take away my dance floor, I have no strong feelings about the specific type of deck lounges. However, like you, I would generally lean towards comfort and function.

I am quite sure that this year on the Sun, I will envy you your 3 closets.

Our ship has made it to the last stop in European territory [Funchal, Madeira] before the weeklong crossing. Next stop: the Caribbean!...

Your anticipation brought back fun memories of the first sailing where we had not only booked a b2b in the inaugural season of sailing around Cuba but had paid in full to secure our booking. Many a CC posting warned us of the folly. So not knowing whether or not we had bought a pig in a poke in this new venture, we and so many others checked daily to see the location of the ship, marking each day, from dry dock to sailing, from port to port, hoping she would complete the crossing. Can't tell you how relieved we were to get aboard. The long wait and anticipation was well worth it all, for this will be our third season.

Filled in the info re Passport for Cuba this afternoon. Then phoned to make final payment. Within three minutes we received an e-mail with our e-tickets. Now I feel that we are officially going to Cuba. Our airline changed our flight time to MTB, but though we now will have to get up early, we will be in MTB earlier as well.

Just about 6 weeks to go.

Nikki

Edited by gubby

Hi: Check the Roll Call for Louis Cristal Cuba Cruise Montego Bay January 22, 2016 for an idea about meeting on embarkation day. Deck 9 (swimming pool deck), Helios Bar, near the beauty salon at 4:45-5PM. Any other ideas? Tom:)

Hi Tom. Just replied to your suggestion. We heard from our California friends that they had booked this cruise as well. What a great time we will all have. I am so looking forward to it. see you in about6 weeks.

Nikki

Hi: Check the Roll Call for Louis Cristal Cuba Cruise Montego Bay January 22, 2016 for an idea about meeting on embarkation day. Deck 9 (swimming pool deck), Helios Bar, near the beauty salon at 4:45-5PM. Any other ideas? Tom:)

Just wanted to let you know that they did allow smoking on the port side of the swimming pool deck last season. Same side as the beauty salon, in case anyone doesn't like smoke.

Just wanted to let you know that they did allow smoking on the port side of the swimming pool deck last season. Same side as the beauty salon, in case anyone doesn't like smoke.

Good point. I avoided that side of the deck during my week on board for that very reason. The equivalent "landmark" on the opposite side would be the little ice cream cart off to the side of the bar.

A suggestion if I may. A great place to meet is the Horizon's Bar above the Leda. There is seldom a soul up there and there is such a great view. We found it late in our cruise and wish we had taken advantage of it earlier. A good locale for peace and quiet during the day although there is no bar service until the evening.

Edited by ONT-CA

Hi all!

Kerri ~ thanks for that info & link.:D

Here's an article from The Globe & Mail I found quite interesting:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/international-business/latin-american-business/cubas-capacity-limited-by-few-firms-little-infrastructure-and-lots-of-tourists/article27741756/

If you Google "article on Cuba in the Globe & Mail" there are quite a few different topics, one on Santiago de Cuba.

Chimo!

~ Jo ~ :)

Hi Jo.

Looks like the Buddy Bears left Havana on March 2nd and went to Santiago De Chile from April to June. Don't see where they are now, if they are still travelling.

I came back from Cuba less than a week ago after a People to People land mission to Cuba. (Obviously, I'm American) Right now, San Francisco Plaza, across from the harbor, you'll find statues of cats -- about six to eight statues and larger than people sized -- that are gloriously decorated with painted designs. Different artists did each cat and the results are quite appealing