Shuttles in edinburgh

zship

There are no free shuttles from Queensferry to Edinburgh. You can either take an organised ship excursion or take the local bus or train. Train is quicker and more reliable than the bus. I live in South Queensferry and there are often road works and traffic jams at peak times when using the bus. The train station is actually at Dalmeny which can be reached by crossing the road when coming off the tender and going left passed the Hawes Inn. You will see a wooden staircase which leads through some countryside and will eventually lead you out opposite Dalmeny Station. It then takes only 12 minutes to get into Edinburgh from here. Hope this helps.

There are no free shuttles from Queensferry to Edinburgh. You can either take an organised ship excursion or take the local bus or train. Train is quicker and more reliable than the bus. I live in South Queensferry and there are often road works and traffic jams at peak times when using the bus. The train station is actually at Dalmeny which can be reached by crossing the road when coming off the tender and going left passed the Hawes Inn. You will see a wooden staircase which leads through some countryside and will eventually lead you out opposite Dalmeny Station. It then takes only 12 minutes to get into Edinburgh from here. Hope this helps.

Seascot,

A friend of mine recently disembarked at Forsyth and took a taxi to Edinburgh, about half an hour. Can you tell me where Forsyth is located? I cannot find it on a map. I worked at Grangemouth for two years and drove through South Queensferry to Edinburgh about once a month and cannot remember Forsyth. (it was a long time ago :D). Thanks.

It's Rosyth.....if you google Forsyth in the UK you'll only come up with a fratricidal TV entertainer :-))

Of course ... it is the naval base/port on the other side of the Firth of Forth from South Queensferry. I mentioned that it was a long time ago (50 years) when I was in the area.....LOL. Thank you. My friend must have miss heard the name. Those Scottish accents...:D

If you are on Nautica, you will dock in Rosyth and the nearest train station is in North Queensferry. If you are on Marina, you will tender in South Queensferry and the nearest train station is Dalmeny.

Well, I believe the information given above, however, I just wanted to point out the following in case someone else going to South Queensferry this year sees this post: At least one cruiser last year reported a shuttle bus to Edinburgh from South Q. for a nominal price. I believe it was an Oceania cruiser, but don't remember for sure. I am hoping that some kind of shuttle will be available from South Q, as the walk up those steps to the train station looks a little daunting for my husband!

P.S. Hi Marilyn!

AzureBlueIris, thank you. I am still, however, holding on to the possibility that an enterprising company in South Queensferry will offer a low-cost shuttle to Edinburgh! If not, there is always the possibility of sharing a cab with another couple if we can't manage the train from Dalmeny!

AzureBlueIris, thank you. I am still, however, holding on to the possibility that an enterprising company in South Queensferry will offer a low-cost shuttle to Edinburgh! If not, there is always the possibility of sharing a cab with another couple if we can't manage the train from Dalmeny!

Hi Roothy, can you let me know what day and time you will be tendering in South Queensferry? I have lived in South Queensferry for over 40 years and have climbed those stairs (jacob's ladder) many a time during my childhood on the way to the beach. They were certainly hard work when I was younger and I haven't attempted them for many years. Coming down is OK but going up them is a different story. My husband took early retirement last year so if he is free on the day that you are in South Queensferry, he would be more than happy to pick you and your husband up from the port in South Queensferry and drop you in Edinburgh and collect you when you were ready to return to the ship. This will save you the expense of cabs and he would be willing to do this to show you some Scottish hospitality. I am not aware of any shuttles running from the port as Edinburgh is over 10 miles away.

Wow! That is really nice of you to offer, although we'd want to at least pay for the gas (petrol?) involved. We are scheduled to arrive South Queensferry at 8AM on Wed., July 31 and depart at 6PM. The good news for you, but not us, is that this is before the Tattoo begins, so I assume Edinburgh will be busy but not swamped with people. I believe we're the only ship visiting South Queensferry that day, although I don't know about the other port locations. In any case, assuming the ship is cleared quickly by the authorities and the tendering operation is fairly quick (it usually is), we'd probably be able to get to the shore any time after 8:30 or so, and be required to be back at the tender location by no later than 5 or 5:30.

If your husband is available and willing to give us a ride (one way or both) that would be absolutely wonderful. My email is howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com if you want to contact me, or you can just reply back here.

A big thank you!

Ruth

We just got back from a cruise that stopped in South Queensferry. We heard the Dalmeny train station was within walking distance from the tender dock (the dock was in the shadow of the railroad bridge), but when we got off the boat, there was a private bus shuttle right there to take us into Edinburgh for just £5 each way, so we took that.

Wow! That is really nice of you to offer, although we'd want to at least pay for the gas (petrol?) involved. We are scheduled to arrive South Queensferry at 8AM on Wed., July 31 and depart at 6PM. The good news for you, but not us, is that this is before the Tattoo begins, so I assume Edinburgh will be busy but not swamped with people. I believe we're the only ship visiting South Queensferry that day, although I don't know about the other port locations. In any case, assuming the ship is cleared quickly by the authorities and the tendering operation is fairly quick (it usually is), we'd probably be able to get to the shore any time after 8:30 or so, and be required to be back at the tender location by no later than 5 or 5:30.

If your husband is available and willing to give us a ride (one way or both) that would be absolutely wonderful. My email is howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com if you want to contact me, or you can just reply back here.

A big thank you!

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

I have sent you an email.

We just got back from a cruise that stopped in South Queensferry. We heard the Dalmeny train station was within walking distance from the tender dock (the dock was in the shadow of the railroad bridge), but when we got off the boat, there was a private bus shuttle right there to take us into Edinburgh for just £5 each way, so we took that.

On behalf of Ruth, I have to say that is fabulous news. And, SEASCOT, you and your husband are so kind. (I love volunteering my husband, too.)

Now, if someone would report the same good news for Rosyth, I would be so happy. When we docked at Leith several years ago, we took a public bus (bus stop very close to the Britannia as I recall.)

• 1 month later...

I don't, but I researched this a few months ago and it sounded like what was likely is this: IF a shuttle is offered, there will be a large yellow sign announcing a shuttle and you can line up and pay while in line. It sounds like shuttle location is pretty obvious once you get tendered to the dock. However, the shuttle (a coach/bus) may not be available for every ship, and I don't know how often it goes or how much it costs, although one person indicated it was reasonable. I got the impression it drops you somewhere along Princes Street or Charlottle Square. If so, there is a HOHO bus stop not too far away, and the castle is not far. I am only guessing, but I'm thinking it takes 30-40 minutes. Good luck and have fun. If you're going after August 10, you can post again here and I'll let you know if there was one available for us. (We are there July 31).

As someone who will be in Rosyth on Nautica - we intended to use the Hoho bus in Edinburgh but there is no way I am going to manage a two mile walk first - I am waiting for foot surgery. Is everyone saying taxis are the only option there?

Doesn't Rosyth have a train station? I thought I saw it on Google Earth, or Google Maps, or marinetraffic.com or something. Maybe they have service to Edinburgh Waverley or something. (Try scotrail.uk or something like that.) Of course, you'd have to take a cab there, but I would guess that would be much, much cheaper (and perhaps faster) than taking a cab to Edinburgh! There is also, I notice, some kind of boat/bus combo (Forth Tours or something like that) which stops at Rosyth port one day a week. Or maybe Nautica will arrange a shuttle. I'm on Marina to So.Q and someone who called O said that shuttle info (yes, no, where, what) would be available on the ship a day or two before the Edinburgh stop. As a last resort, I suppose you could try emailing the Port of Rosyth and see if they can suggest something!

Archived