Friends & Family Certificate

I couldn't find a thread on this, so I thought I'd post a heads up on the new RCI policy when purchasing a Decide Later Certificate.

Last month we were on the Oasis and purchased a Decide Later Certificate so we can pick a future cruise with our friends upon our return and they would also from the OBC offer.

Well, to my surprise - as of March '13 there are no longer 2 Friends & Family offered when buying the certificate. Instead, you can buy additional DL certificates onboard and give these as gifts to your friends and family....

I wish the Loyalty Ambassador would have told me this at the time. I called C&A and spoke to 2 different reps, both confirming the new policy. Bummer...

I couldn't find a thread on this, so I thought I'd post a heads up on the new RCI policy when purchasing a Decide Later Certificate.

Last month we were on the Oasis and purchased a Decide Later Certificate so we can pick a future cruise with our friends upon our return and they would also from the OBC offer.

Well, to my surprise - as of March '13 there are no longer 2 Friends & Family offered when buying the certificate. Instead, you can buy additional DL certificates onboard and give these as gifts to your friends and family....

I wish the Loyalty Ambassador would have told me this at the time. I called C&A and spoke to 2 different reps, both confirming the new policy. Bummer...

Yes...I'm just off the ROS (Alaska) and was surprised that no more family & friends...Also there is a limit of NCC purchase onboard (3 per person).

Just a FYI:

The heading on the paper work now says "Open Booking Confirmation Letter"

instead of the "NextCruise Booking Confirmation Letter"

With the new Open Booking you can transfer it to anyone you like, as long as you have not committed it to a specific cruise yourself!:D

I've heard about this, and it's very disappointing. It was really the main benefit to booking a NextCruise. They've basically reduced the benefit by two thirds. I know the industry is trying to save money, but blocking first time cruisers from joining you on a cruise seems to be a bad idea.

I've heard about this, and it's very disappointing. It was really the main benefit to booking a NextCruise. They've basically reduced the benefit by two thirds. I know the industry is trying to save money, but blocking first time cruisers from joining you on a cruise seems to be a bad idea.

I'm also disappointed...The family & friends wasn't just limited to "first time" cruisers. As far as the "industry trying to save money"..they would have gotten ours eventually without doing away with this program.

I'm also disappointed...The family & friends wasn't just limited to "first time" cruisers. As far as the "industry trying to save money"..they would have gotten ours eventually without doing away with this program.

Your family and friends (first time cruisers as well) can still book the same cruise as you have, that hasn't changed. It's just now they don't have to do it with that 30 day window once you've booked your cruise.

You can create up to 3 NC bookings while on board putting all in your name. You do not transfer them to a TA, you allow RCI to hold them. You get home and can then transfer any one of those NC bookings to anyone who wants to join you on your cruise. They pay you the $100 deposit that you paid and when they add another name to the booking they will pay an additional $100.

If your family and friends want to go on a different cruise, with the new program then can. With Certs for F&F they had to join you on the same cruise and book within 30 days of when you converted your booking. That is no longer an issue.

I don't think anyone said it was limited to first time cruisers, but the result of the program was that people would tend to offer the 2 additional certificates to new cruisers (presumably, repeat cruisers would book their own NextCruise). It seemed like a good way for RCL to attract new customers, and I'm not sure why they would do away with it.

Your family and friends can still book the same cruise as you have, that hasn't changed.

What has changed, is that you now have to pay for the extra certificates, where previously, they were included as part of the $100 deposit.

Previously, a $100 deposit could yield up to $600 in OBC. Now, a $100 deposit only gets you only $200 in OBC.

HOW DISAPPOINTING RCL!!!!! Wow I had hoped to buy two next cruise certificates on my next cruise for two upcoming cruises in the next couple of years, I always bring other couples so how disappointing that one certificate is only good for one instead of three.

Im getting tiered of hearing about all the cutbacks, the upselling on cruises now this certificate issue. :(

Edited by kerbear1969

I don't think anyone said it was limited to first time cruisers, but the result of the program was that people would tend to offer the 2 additional certificates to new cruisers (presumably, repeat cruisers would book their own NextCruise). It seemed like a good way for RCL to attract new customers, and I'm not sure why they would do away with it.

As Patti pointed out, you can accomplish the same thing now with the ability to transfer the NCCs. The removal of the 30 day same cruise booking requirement is a plus. However, personally, I'd rather not be "selling" NCCs to friends and family. I don't like the idea of having to collect money from people, and then later explain that the NCC is not refundable when they decide they don't want to go on the cruise. With the old way, I was out of that loop.

Your family and friends (first time cruisers as well) can still book the same cruise as you have, that hasn't changed. It's just now they don't have to do it with that 30 day window once you've booked your cruise.

You can create up to 3 NC bookings while on board putting all in your name. You do not transfer them to a TA, you allow RCI to hold them. You get home and can then transfer any one of those NC bookings to anyone who wants to join you on your cruise. They pay you the $100 deposit that you paid and when they add another name to the booking they will pay an additional $100.

If your family and friends want to go on a different cruise, with the new program then can. With Certs for F&F they had to join you on the same cruise and book within 30 days of when you converted your booking. That is no longer an issue.

Patti,

Do you know what the official policy is on Next Cruise Certificates we are holding from prior cruises? Will those be honored as written and sold to us?

thanks,

Merle

Patti,

Do you know what the official policy is on Next Cruise Certificates we are holding from prior cruises? Will those be honored as written and sold to us?

thanks,

Merle

Royal has always honored the terms in place at the time the NCC was purchased.

What has changed, is that you now have to pay for the extra certificates, where previously, they were included as part of the $100 deposit.

Previously, a $100 deposit could yield up to $600 in OBC. Now, a $100 deposit only gets you only $200 in OBC.

In my opinion, this is a potentially mistaken argument. In order for the Friends & Family Certificate to get OBC, someone's got to pay the deposit on it as well otherwise they're worthless. So, there's another $100 or more for deposits to activate the Friends & Family Certificates and get the OBC enabled for them.

Bob's statement that the extra deposits are coming out of his pocket now is true, and that makes the transferable Open Bookings different from the Friends & Family Certificates.

In my opinion, this is a potentially mistaken argument. In order for the Friends & Family Certificate to get OBC, someone's got to pay the deposit on it as well otherwise they're worthless. So, there's another $100 or more for deposits to activate the Friends & Family Certificates and get the OBC enabled for them.

That does change the simply fact that 3 potential bookings with OBC used be held with $100 up front. Now those same three will cost you $300 to hold them.

That is absolutely not the same thing.

That does change the simply fact that 3 potential bookings with OBC used be held with $100 up front. Now those same three will cost you $300 to hold them.

I disagree. No booking was "held" with simply being in possession of an F&F cert. It was a certificate to be used only when a booking occurred. The booking could not occur until a payment was made.

I disagree. No booking was "held" with simply being in possession of an F&F cert. It was a certificate to be used only when a booking occurred. The booking could not occur until a payment was made.

And I totally agree with Bob. Nothing has changed when creating a NC while on board. You still need to put down a $100 deposit and when converted and you add another name, you must still put down a $100 deposit with no further money due until final payment. The deposit would only change if you booked a GS or above.

The only thing that has changed is that you are not being given Certificates for F&F that had restrictions in that when converted the bearer of the Certificate had to book the same cruise and within a 30 day time frame as the owner of the NC Certificate.

Now you are allowed to created 3 NC bookings per person while on board. So for a husband and wife that's 6 bookings.

Edited by cruisenfever

That is why I said "potential" booking.

And I totally agree with Bob. Nothing has changed when creating a NC while on board. You still need to put down a $100 deposit and when converted and you add another name, you must still put down a $100 deposit with no further money due until final payment. The deposit would only change if you booked a GS or above.

The only thing that has changed is that you are not being given Certificates for F&F that had restrictions in that when converted the bearer of the Certificate had to book the same cruise and within a 30 day time frame as the owner of the NC Certificate.

You say "nothing has changed" but then go on in your 2nd paragraph to describe what has changed. (I'm not arguing Patti, just pointing out that new program is an obvious change.) Maybe if I explained my thinking better you would understand what I'm trying to say: We always bought NCC's while onboard and enjoyed the ability to say to F&F later: "We found a deal on an upcoming cruise and if you want to join us you can get the same OBC we are by using the F&F part of our certificate." Many times they did and we enjoyed being able to travel with them. (The 30 day booking time was never an issue.) If no one wanted to join us we would cruise by ourselves.

But I would NEVER spend the money of F&F ahead of time and now have to say "if you want to join us and get the same OBC we are you owe me $100." The part of the new program that seems to be most important to Patti (being able to use the certificate for any cruise any time -- not just the same cruise you are taking) is unimportant to us. Since we cruise more than any of our F&F they rarely if ever cruise without us.

I hope that makes it more clear.

That is why I said "potential" booking.

You say "nothing has changed" but then go on in your 2nd paragraph to describe what has changed. (I'm not arguing Patti, just pointing out that new program is an obvious change.) Maybe if I explained my thinking better you would understand what I'm trying to say: We always bought NCC's while onboard and enjoyed the ability to say to F&F later: "We found a deal on an upcoming cruise and if you want to join us you can get the same OBC we are by using the F&F part of our certificate." Many times they did and we enjoyed being able to travel with them. (The 30 day booking time was never an issue.) If no one wanted to join us we would cruise by ourselves.

But I would NEVER spend the money of F&F ahead of time and now have to say "if you want to join us and get the same OBC we are you owe me $100." The part of the new program that seems to be most important to Patti (being able to use the certificate for any cruise any time -- not just the same cruise you are taking) is unimportant to us. Since we cruise more than any of our F&F they rarely if ever cruise without us.

I hope that makes it more clear.

I completely understand what you are trying to explain. But you must remember that Certificates for Family & Friends were never free. They were issued only with NC bookings as an incentive for folks to bring along people that they would like to cruise with and have those folks enjoy the same benefits as if they had booked a cruise themselves on board.

When the owner of the NC gave that certificate to someone, in order to use it, the recipient had to pay the $100pp deposit when they converted it to join you on your cruise. It's no different today with the exception that when you transfer a NC to a family member or friend, they pay you the initial $100 and pay RCI the balance.

I completely understand what you are trying to explain. But you must remember that Certificates for Family & Friends were never free. They were issued only with NC bookings as an incentive for folks to bring along people that they would like to cruise with and have those folks enjoy the same benefits as if they had booked a cruise themselves on board.

When the owner of the NC gave that certificate to someone, in order to use it, the recipient had to pay the $100pp deposit when they converted it to join you on your cruise. It's no different today with the exception that when you transfer a NC to a family member or friend, they pay you the initial $100 and pay RCI the balance.

Thanks Patti. Yes, of course I understood the F&F part when finally used was not free. As I mentioned in an earlier post we purchased these on most every one of our 20+ cruises.

The "no different today with the exception..." caveat is a big "exception" to the program being no different IMHO. I much preferred that F&F paid Royal if and when they decided to cruise with us. The whole "you owe me $100" is weird to handle.

No matter how it is spun, with the prior program with $100 down you had the potential for booking 3 cabins all with OBC (2 of those to be paid at the time booking). Now to be able to have the potential for booking 3 cabins all with OBC you have to put down $300 up front. That sounds different to me.

Thank you for the opportunity to discuss our differing opinions on this change. You know I appreciate all of the time you spend keeping us all straight on these policies.

But I would NEVER spend the money of F&F ahead of time and now have to say "if you want to join us and get the same OBC we are you owe me $100."

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Regardless of how close I am to my family and friends, just telling them this makes it seem like a shady business deal.:D

This is EXACTLY what I mean. Regardless of how close I am to my family and friends, just telling them this makes it seem like a shady business deal.:D

Before, when they were Certificates for Friends & Family, I guess it was OK to give one to a dear friend or family member and say "if you want to join us you'll have to pay $100pp for the deposit!!":eek:

Isn't it better to be able to pay a reduced deposit from home rather than a full deposit? $250pp on a 7 day cruise is a lot of money for some.

Edited by cruisenfever

• 8 months later...

We are F and F looking to "buy" one of these from my sister! LOL! It's not wierd at all for us... she actually paid the full $200 deposit which would cover herself plus her DH if they use it. If we buy it from them and get a family cabin, we can book all five in our family (DH, me, plus our three kids) for $200 to my sis and another $300 to RCI.

Pulling together a $500 deposit is much easier than pulling together a $1250 deposit. And then we have many months to pay the rest of the cruise off.

Also, if I am understanding this correctly, there is no requirement that we travel with my sis and her husband.... am I correct?

It's definitely a gift for my sister to offer this to us. No wierdness at all!

We are F and F looking to "buy" one of these from my sister! LOL! It's not wierd at all for us... she actually paid the full $200 deposit which would cover herself plus her DH if they use it. If we buy it from them and get a family cabin, we can book all five in our family (DH, me, plus our three kids) for $200 to my sis and another $300 to RCI.

Pulling together a $500 deposit is much easier than pulling together a $1250 deposit. And then we have many months to pay the rest of the cruise off.

Also, if I am understanding this correctly, there is no requirement that we travel with my sis and her husband.... am I correct?

It's definitely a gift for my sister to offer this to us. No wierdness at all!

Correct, there are no Friends & Family certificates anymore. A Next Cruise certificate can be purchased in your name and transfered to someone else once, before it has been assigned to a specific cruise.