Canal/Barge tours

O2B@Cagain

There are number of companies that offer barge cruises. We did one in Scotland that we thoroughly enjoyed.

The is a company called French Country Waterways (not a TA) and there is another on called Go Barging (also not a TA).

We did a river cruise with Vantage from Monte Carlo to Paris up the Rhone and Saone Rivers and enjoyed it. It was also a longer cruise and less expensive than a barge cruise.

Thank you, Talisker! I think I'd want a fireplace on a barge in Scotland! Brr.;) I have run into several companies that seem to broker barges, but I was looking to pick someone's brain, like we tend to do here on Cruise Critic!

Ah, the research is the best part, isn't it?

We did a wonderful river trip in Burgundy some years ago. We had a self drive motor cruiser though which was great fun. The river and the little towns and villages were beautiful so, although I cant recommend a specific tour, can certainly encourage you to persevere with pursuing a Burgundy barging holiday.

I looked before and did not find anything on CC. We are headed out next week on a self drive 'Le Boat' canal boat from Migennes to Tannay in the Burgundy area (9 days). I found some info on Trip Advisor in the forums. We finish right before their schools get out and high season starts. :D

There are number of companies that offer barge cruises. We did one in Scotland that we thoroughly enjoyed.

The is a company called French Country Waterways (not a TA) and there is another on called Go Barging (also not a TA).

We did a river cruise with Vantage from Monte Carlo to Paris up the Rhone and Saone Rivers and enjoyed it. It was also a longer cruise and less expensive than a barge cruise.

It's all your fault. I hold you entirely responsible.........

OH was saying he would like to try a barge through France. I remembered reading you post, and looked at the websites you mention, and asked for a brochure...now he is saying he wants to book a cruise on one...It all your fault...

• 4 weeks later...

It was great! We did a self drive through Burgundy with Le Boat. We also saw plenty of "chartered" boats with captains, cooks, etc. Best thing for you to decide is region, self driven (cheaper) or chartered, price range, time of year. We were on the river/canal 8-17 June before school is out and the high season starts (around 22 June). Weather was great, crowds minimal. Left from Migennes (@ two hours drive from CDG). You go slow, so we did a one way trip as not to repeat sights. We went upriver (uplocking) which wasn't hard. Downriver (downlocking) is supposedly easier. We did 50 locks in 9 days. That was fine, but some trips have too many locks. We ran in to several people that changed their routes because there were too many locks. Locks are generally open 9-12 and 1-7 in the summer, but we did find some that had different lunch hours (can vary by region). Patience! There were plenty of restaurants, stores, and markets along the route. We stopped in Auxerre and Clamecy for 2 nights each to vary the trip. It was a great laid back trip. It was beautiful countryside and the Canal du Nivernais did not have any commercial traffic. Easy. We were happy with Le Boat, although there are many companies out there. Next task, to go through the 1000 pictures we took!

Kim: Thank you for your report! I will look for crewed barges on Canal du Nivernais. I don't want the hassle of figuring out where to stop, would rather just watch as someone else does the heavy lifting!;)

What did you do in the various towns? Any insights there??

Walk, explore, eat, drink, people watch, take pictures. We did have bikes, so we did quite a few trips along the tow paths that follow the canal. Picnics, too.

Archived