I am fat and 40:not fabulous!

brn2crz

I am also new here. While I don't have any weight to lose [lost 85 pounds two years ago with Weight Watchers ] it is a daily job to keep it off. I don't mind this to be able to feel and look good.

You have recieved some great advice here. Best thing to do first is decide which type of "diet" plan you wish to follow. Start with that and the other aspects will follow. It is always a good idea to drink water whether you need to lose weight or not. Also, you can still have you Dr.Pepper. They have diet caffine free which will count as a water. Still should not have more than a couple a day, thou! Once you get your food plan down and comfortable with it then you can start thinking about exercise. Baby steps. One foot in front of the other, one at a time.

My mom and gramma are both diabetic and I did NOT want to be there so I did something about it. At 38 years old and 200 lbs I decided it was time and I have never looked back. Never give up. We all make mistakes and have slip-ups [ I STILL do ] but keep going and don't look back. Good luck. You CAN do this.

Happy Cruizin'
Linda

Ecstasy 4/02

Paradise 11/29/04 Inlaws 50th wedding anniversary
Pride 5/29/05 Daughters Sweet 16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>it was really tough to put down the amount i had to lose the first time, but now it is second nature and everyone has been extra supportive sooing as i have so far to go.....not one person has said, "damn, that is one fat chick!!!" thought it, perhaps, said it, no<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kim, you know we would never do that! LOL You have a great sense of humor. We've all been there.

Welcome to all of you cruisers to LBYC. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

<MARQUEE>[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [B]Shelia[/B] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]</MARQUEE>
Sailing the Mariner in.......
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<font color="#003399" face="Benguiat Bk BT">Carnival Destiny 2002</font>

• 1 month later...
I am 47 and overweight. I gained weight after the birth of my daughter over 17 yrs ago and never lost it. I joined Curves yesterday and hope to look much better by our fall sailing on Fascination. I went to a nutritionist at our HMO who told me if I'm a sugarholic to go on a high fiber diet. She told me to eat 30 grams of fiber per day, use the food pyramid. This is the best diet for me. I did real well on it 2 yrs ago until I went on vacation. Wish me well!

Welcome Cathy and others,

You've taken a tremendous step just acknowledging you want to change.

Stop beating yourself up. I would suggest making small changes in your life that might seem less overwhelming. For ex., instead of trying to lose 30 lbs. in 3 months, walk 30 mins. every day, how about agreeing to not eat after dinner and do some activity every other day, even if it's just some gardening or playing with the kids at the park.

Remember too that as we get older we naturally gain weight because the metabolism slows down, that along with things like arthritis (I have in my back and knees), makes it difficult to be 125 lbs, like I tell my husband.

I am aim for what's realistic for me, between 140 and 147 (I fluctuate). I do what I can exercise wise.

Good Luck and come back to the boards often, you'll get lots of support.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean
4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez
9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean
4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean
4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean
5/1999 RCCL/Alaska
4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal
10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera
11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico
6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico
6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

After turning 40, I gradually began to gain weight until I had gone from a size 6 to a size 14. When I hit 47 I decided to do something about it so I joined a gym. Nothing happened at first so I got a personal trainer to show me what to do. He had me start eating 5 times a day. Small meals, less carbs and more protein but not Atkins. He showed me how to correctly use the weight machines and gave me a program of machines to use along with 30 minutes of cardio. I started losing 3 lbs a week until I had lost all the weight I had gained. The more I lost the more motivated I became and the easier it was to continue. I started running 4 months ago and I really like that too. Now I work out at the gym 4 times a week run 4 times a week also. I eat pretty much anything I want and I wear a size 4 now and I am in better shape than I was in my 20s.

Archived