Unique Liquors - Selection and Prices

JawjaFatBoy

We are booked on the December 7th Liberty cruise to HMC, St. Thomas, SJ Puerto Rico and GT and I wanted to ask some of those who have recently been on this itinerary and have shopped for or brought back liquor which port had the best price and selection.

I always bring back several bottles for bar stock as well as several for gifts so I am also interested in unique liquors and those that are not available here in the US. I have done several searches and have Sheridan's, JD Silver Select, Sangster's, Hennessey Pure White, non-US Jameson's, and JW Double Black on my list to check out.

If anyone has up to date prices or if anyone knows of any other unique liquors I would be very grateful. Thanks to all!!

The best prices I have found have been in St. Thomas. I am a single malt scotch person and their prices are far better than other islands. Have not been there in a few years, so this may have changed, but maybe someone has some more up to date information.

Guest maddycat

I really like Talea. It's an Italian liqueur, Amaretto and Cream. I've bought it in St. Thomas for $14 or $15 a bottle. I can't find it locally. I prefer it to Sheridan.

I really like Talea. It's an Italian liqueur, Amaretto and Cream. I've bought it in St. Thomas for $14 or $15 a bottle. I can't find it locally. I prefer it to Sheridan.

Will definitely have to check this out as DW absolutely loves Amaretto!

AHOY SHIPMATES

A topic near and dear to my heart

In all my travels I have found the liquor distributor for San Juan has his own stores right there on the cruise piers. A wider selection, and cheaper prices than in town stores. They also have specials on different top line brands from time to time. There is a store on each of the 5 piers and it is a good idea to check them all. If you have an inconspicuous camera and find a better price than on the ship take a picture. most cruiselines will match the price. When Jack Daniels sold the co. they slightlly changed the formula and now make about 6 different variations at higher prices. Makers Mark (imho) now the better of the two and a couple $ more in the US. Happy shopping

Gary

Thanks for the info! I am going to be checking out as many stores as I can in both St. Thomas and San Juan. Right now A.H. Riise and Dynasty Dazzlers are on my list for ST and the pier shops in SJ.

My wife shops for jewelry, I shop for good booze! :D

Does anyone have photos or scans of some of the sales fliers from recent cruises that they could share? Thanks!

While talking about cruises, I made the mistake of mentioning some of the liquor prices I have seen in the past to a coworker. Now he wants me to bring him back a "few" bottles!:rolleyes: In return, he agreed to pick up any duty charges if they pop up. With my list and his, I may have to pack some kind of folding cart to get them to the car:eek::D!

We thought liquor prices were better in St Martin than in St Thomas. Legally, you can bring back a gallon (I think) duty free from St Thomas and only a litre from other islands but when we returned we were carrying the cardboard boxes of liquor and the customs agent asked "How much liquor?" and I said "5 bottles", nothing more was said about it, but they seemed much more concerned about if we had purchased cigarettes and how much? (but we didn't). I don't think the prices are as low as they once were as they're not selling as much as they once were (they made a profit on volume) As so many folks fly to a cruise and since you can't carry the liquor onto the plane and checking it usually results in extra charges, a lot of folks find its not worth the price and/or the hassle. Our cabin steward said once upon a time, nearly every cabin had a box of liquor delivered to them the last night of the cruise, now...about 25%. Also, check out the prices onboard, sometimes they are as good as (or better) than in the islands and it's easier than buying ashore.

We thought liquor prices were better in St Martin than in St Thomas. Legally, you can bring back a gallon (I think) duty free from St Thomas and only a litre from other islands but when we returned we were carrying the cardboard boxes of liquor and the customs agent asked "How much liquor?" and I said "5 bottles", nothing more was said about it, but they seemed much more concerned about if we had purchased cigarettes and how much? (but we didn't). I don't think the prices are as low as they once were as they're not selling as much as they once were (they made a profit on volume) As so many folks fly to a cruise and since you can't carry the liquor onto the plane and checking it usually results in extra charges, a lot of folks find its not worth the price and/or the hassle. Our cabin steward said once upon a time, nearly every cabin had a box of liquor delivered to them the last night of the cruise, now...about 25%. Also, check out the prices onboard, sometimes they are as good as (or better) than in the islands and it's easier than buying ashore.

Usually, the duty-free limit is 1 liter per person. However, if you buy 1 liter of alcohol that is produced in the USVI or other US insular possession while on a cruise that ports in an insular possession, the limit is raised to 5 liters per person plus 1 liter from the ship or other port.

So, since I'm planning on picking up a bottle of Southern Comfort Special Reserve (only available in duty free shops) and a bottle of Cruzan 151 and both are bottled on St. Croix, the limit for my wife and I will be 12 liters.:eek::D

And I always check the prices on the ship thoroughly so I can compare prices when we are in port. So far the biggest difference I have found was last year in Nassau. The ship had Glenfiddich 12YO for $44.99 and I got it for $28 on the island. I have seen it go the other way, but not by such a wide margin.

When you cruise to St. Thomas you can bring back 5 bottles, each, of alcohol. Think one is supposed to be from there but they never check this. If you are sailing Carnival the ship will match any price you find on shore. Not all ships do this so ask. Just buy one bottle and show Carnival your receipt. There are two ABC stores in Havensight, but I can't remeber their names -sorry. The one that begins with R also owns Cohens right across from Havensight. Remeber you are buying a full liter, which the US doesn't sell, when comparing

prices. St. Thomas usually has the best prices.

Check the prices of bourbon before you go. As it is a product of the US, you may find that it is not a deal in the islands. Also, if you are flying home, a lot of booze will affect your weight limitations on the plane. You would not be allowed to carry on the booze. It would have to go in the hold and would be counted as extra luggage...a big expense.

When you cruise to St. Thomas you can bring back 5 bottles, each, of alcohol. Think one is supposed to be from there but they never check this. If you are sailing Carnival the ship will match any price you find on shore. Not all ships do this so ask. Just buy one bottle and show Carnival your receipt. There are two ABC stores in Havensight, but I can't remeber their names -sorry. The one that begins with R also owns Cohens right across from Havensight. Remeber you are buying a full liter, which the US doesn't sell, when comparing

prices. St. Thomas usually has the best prices.

I think the two you are thinking of are A.H. Riise and Dynasty Dazzlers. I will be checking both of them out as they are said to offer some great deals. Will definitely try the price match as well!

Check the prices of bourbon before you go. As it is a product of the US, you may find that it is not a deal in the islands. Also, if you are flying home, a lot of booze will affect your weight limitations on the plane. You would not be allowed to carry on the booze. It would have to go in the hold and would be counted as extra luggage...a big expense.

I'm already getting a price list together of premium bourbons for comparison. Working on putting one together for single malts as well!:D

What I've noticed in the past is that bourbon prices are cheaper there but not nearly as much as rum and vodka. Since we are driving to and from the port, even a small savings can be worth it. The biggest difference I usually see is that most everything bought on a cruise is liters instead of the fifths that are the norm here. So far I've stocked the bar fairly well and haven't broke the bank!

please note that residents of both puerto rico and the us virgin islands (st john, st thomas) are us citizens, thus the amount of alcohol you can bring back is determined by the fact that one is a us commonwealth and the other a us "possession" as opposed to visiting "foreign" countries

Guest maddycat
We thought liquor prices were better in St Martin than in St Thomas.

Prices are better in St. Martin. Usually the further away form the water taxi the lower the prices.

If you are sailing Carnival the ship will match any price you find on shore. Not all ships do this so ask. Just buy one bottle and show Carnival your receipt.

RCI and Celebrity also match prices. Ask at the onboard liquor store what proof of port prices will be needed. You might be able to pick up a flyer with prices or take a photo on your phone.

We think that best selection and prices are on St Maarten, but St Thomas offers the additional benefit (to Americans) of having a larger duty-free allowance then other islands. As to the cruise line "matching prices" although this is true on the exact same products (beware of 750 ml bottles vs 1 liter) the selection on St Maarten and St Thomas is much better then on any cruise ship. One big complication are the TSA rules which no longer allow folks to carry-on their liquor purchases. Now, if you are flying home, you must get all your booze into checked luggage and pray that the baggage handlers and TSA folks are not thirsty.

We usually go to the Caribbean once a year and this can turn into a booze buying trip. I look for more expensive scotches and cognacs as the savings on these items can be quite spectacular. For example, on our last visit to St Maarten several booze stores were selling Courvosier XO 1 liter bottles for $62 (this would cost around twice as much anywhere in the US). I quickly bought 6 bottles and did itemize them on my customs declaration form. The duty would have been about 10% of what I paid (still a bargain) but the customs agent just waved us through (they apparently have some discretion).

Hank

If you want something really special, go to the Bacardi distillery on San Juan and ask for their Founder's Blend 80-proof Reserva Limitada rum. It is available nowhere else in the world except at the San Juan distillery...and when I was there several years ago, the cost was $50 a bottle.

The label says "Founder's Blend with aged rums up to 12 years old." Take my work for it, the taste is so silky and smooth, you'll considering it a "sipping" rum!

I don't know the current price but I'll find out in October when I visit the distillery again this October...and bring at least one more bottle home with me....

BTW - each 750ml bottle of Reserva Limitada is hand-numbered...my bottle 3766.

We usually go to the Caribbean once a year and this can turn into a booze buying trip. I look for more expensive scotches and cognacs as the savings on these items can be quite spectacular. For example, on our last visit to St Maarten several booze stores were selling Courvosier XO 1 liter bottles for $62 (this would cost around twice as much anywhere in the US). I quickly bought 6 bottles and did itemize them on my customs declaration form. The duty would have been about 10% of what I paid (still a bargain) but the customs agent just waved us through (they apparently have some discretion).

Hank

I have been doing much the same! My home bar has expanded greatly since our first cruise back in 2010. I will definitely be looking into the scotches and cognacs. I am more of a bourbon lover, but I'm looking to expand my horizons.

We have brought back at least 6 bottles a year since we started and have only been required to pay duty one time which was last year in Jacksonville. Brought 8 bottles back and the duty came to just over $11.

If you want something really special, go to the Bacardi distillery on San Juan and ask for their Founder's Blend 80-proof Reserva Limitada rum. It is available nowhere else in the world except at the San Juan distillery...and when I was there several years ago, the cost was $50 a bottle.

The label says "Founder's Blend with aged rums up to 12 years old." Take my work for it, the taste is so silky and smooth, you'll considering it a "sipping" rum!

I don't know the current price but I'll find out in October when I visit the distillery again this October...and bring at least one more bottle home with me....

BTW - each 750ml bottle of Reserva Limitada is hand-numbered...my bottle 3766.

We are planning on doing the distillery tour so I will be checking into this! Thank you!

Reading some of the posts in this thread and some others I've found through searches got me to thinking about brandies and cognacs. I have very little experience with these. Can someone give me some suggestions for what they feel is a good entry level brandy or cognac that won't break the bank if I decide I don't like it?

I will add that the only one I have any history with is Asbach Uralt. A friend received some from a relative in Germany and I got to try it. Pretty good to my uneducated palate. Does anyone know if it is available in St. Thomas, San Juan or GT? I can get it here, but would like to check the pricing there.

Thanks again to all who have posted!

Reading some of the posts in this thread and some others I've found through searches got me to thinking about brandies and cognacs. I have very little experience with these. Can someone give me some suggestions for what they feel is a good entry level brandy or cognac that won't break the bank if I decide I don't like it?

I will add that the only one I have any history with is Asbach Uralt. A friend received some from a relative in Germany and I got to try it. Pretty good to my uneducated palate. Does anyone know if it is available in St. Thomas, San Juan or GT? I can get it here, but would like to check the pricing there.

Thanks again to all who have posted!

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Brandy & cognac can get your wallet into serious trouble.

As a young sailor in the Med we found Fundador brandy at $1 a bottle

sufficed . I still have some of my own teeth and would be afraid to try it now. I use Paul Masson in mixed drinks but prefer Makers Mark and Chevas for sipping. Holland America has some Cognac that they sell at the bars at $96 a shot and the store occasionally has it on sale for less than $1000. a bottle.

Good Luck

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Brandy & cognac can get your wallet into serious trouble.

As a young sailor in the Med we found Fundador brandy at $1 a bottle

sufficed . I still have some of my own teeth and would be afraid to try it now. I use Paul Masson in mixed drinks but prefer Makers Mark and Chevas for sipping. Holland America has some Cognac that they sell at the bars at $96 a shot and the store occasionally has it on sale for less than $1000. a bottle.

Good Luck

I have seen the prices of some cognacs and I have to agree!:eek:

I freely admit that I am much more of a bourbon drinker but I do dabble in scotches.

I do want to give brandy or cognac a try, I just don't want to buy something awful. A friend recommended the Hennesey Pure White and since it is not sold in the US, I may give it a try.

Please feel free to offer any suggestions!

Archived