Unique Liquors - Selection and Prices

JawjaFatBoy

We found that the bourbon a prices in the islands were high. We can buy Makers Mark or Knob Creek for less at our local store (Total Wines). As for Sheridan it was actually cheaper on the ship. I seem to remember either $30 or $32 for two bottles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, made it all the way down to page 7 this time!

If anyone has any recent fliers for any of the stores in St. Thomas or San Juan or are heading that way and happen to come across any that they can scan or email I would be grateful!

If you want something really special, go to the Bacardi distillery on San Juan and ask for their Founder's Blend 80-proof Reserva Limitada rum. It is available nowhere else in the world except at the San Juan distillery...and when I was there several years ago, the cost was $50 a bottle.

The label says "Founder's Blend with aged rums up to 12 years old." Take my work for it, the taste is so silky and smooth, you'll considering it a "sipping" rum!

I don't know the current price but I'll find out in October when I visit the distillery again this October...and bring at least one more bottle home with me....

BTW - each 750ml bottle of Reserva Limitada is hand-numbered...my bottle 3766.

My sister bought this same item when we visited the Bacardi Factory on a recent trip to San Juan. She bought it in a special case that came with two glasses. They also custom engraved the bottle on-site which makes it especially collectable (especially for a Bacardi fanatic like her).

I think this is probably her favorite souvenir that she has bought over our years of cruising

We are planning on doing the distillery tour so I will be checking into this! Thank you!

If you go to the factory, you should go on your own. There is no need to take a tour to get there (just once you get in).

All you need to do is take the ferry to Cantano, which is located right next to where the ship docks. It runs about every 30 minutes and cost about 50 cents each way. Once you get to Cantano, you walk out of the ferry area and go right towards a garage where there will be waiting taxi vans. If you stick with the crowds, and go with multiple passengers, it will cost you $3 each way to the Bacardi factory. If you don't go with a group of others, the price may go up to around $8 each way. I made this mistake by stopping to take pictures when we got off the ferry and missed the crowds heading to the factory. We were able to negotiate a slightly lower price, but not down to $3.

When you get to the factory, you get a tour ticket and tickets for two free drinks at the bar located at the entrance. You can enjoy your drinks while waiting for your tour time. The tour itself probably only lasts about 45 minutes. The grounds are pretty, but everything inside the buildings is pretty much a mock-up of a real factory.

After the tour, they will drop you off at the gift store where you can buy the specially made rum. Other than the special bottle mentioned here, I've heard the prices of other bottles are similar to the port stores.

You just back-track to get back to the ship when your done. You can easily do this on your own in 2 1/2 to 3 hours and save yourself the cost of the ship-sponsored tour. If your ship comes to port later in the day, you'll have to make sure you check the factory hours to make sure they will be open.

My sister bought this same item when we visited the Bacardi Factory on a recent trip to San Juan. She bought it in a special case that came with two glasses. They also custom engraved the bottle on-site which makes it especially collectable (especially for a Bacardi fanatic like her).

I think this is probably her favorite souvenir that she has bought over our years of cruising

If you go to the factory, you should go on your own. There is no need to take a tour to get there (just once you get in).

All you need to do is take the ferry to Cantano, which is located right next to where the ship docks. It runs about every 30 minutes and cost about 50 cents each way. Once you get to Cantano, you walk out of the ferry area and go right towards a garage where there will be waiting taxi vans. If you stick with the crowds, and go with multiple passengers, it will cost you $3 each way to the Bacardi factory. If you don't go with a group of others, the price may go up to around $8 each way. I made this mistake by stopping to take pictures when we got off the ferry and missed the crowds heading to the factory. We were able to negotiate a slightly lower price, but not down to $3.

When you get to the factory, you get a tour ticket and tickets for two free drinks at the bar located at the entrance. You can enjoy your drinks while waiting for your tour time. The tour itself probably only lasts about 45 minutes. The grounds are pretty, but everything inside the buildings is pretty much a mock-up of a real factory.

After the tour, they will drop you off at the gift store where you can buy the specially made rum. Other than the special bottle mentioned here, I've heard the prices of other bottles are similar to the port stores.

You just back-track to get back to the ship when your done. You can easily do this on your own in 2 1/2 to 3 hours and save yourself the cost of the ship-sponsored tour. If your ship comes to port later in the day, you'll have to make sure you check the factory hours to make sure they will be open.

Thank you so much for the info concerning the tour! DW says we are definitely going.

I am definitely looking into the rum if for no other reason than its not sold in the US. I have heard that it is good stuff though, so win-win all around!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, made it all the way down to page 11!

Well, right now my short list includes:

Jack Daniel's Silver Select

Bacardi Reserva Limitada

Henessey Pure White

Havana Club 7 or Seleccion de Maestros (or both!;))

Southern Comfort Special Reserve

Cherry Marnier

There will definitely be some others, but they will likely be stuff sold here that I can get on the cruise at a better price.

Another dredge!:D

Are there any specific spirits that you specifically search out in these ports? Doesn't have to be non-US stuff, just something that you always pick up in ST or SJ?

Since somebody resurrected this thread we thought we would add to the fray. Although St Thomas has the best duty-free Customs rules, we thing that St Maarten has the best selection and prices. If you happen to be on a cruise that goes to both ports (very common) we will buy some booze in St Thomas, and even more in St Maarten...often going over our duty-free allowance. We always declare all of our booze, but the CBP staff in various ports (including Florida, New York and Baltimore have never bothered to assess the appropriate duty. Most of the time they apparently do not think its worth their time to assess the relatively small amounts of duty (on most booze it would only be 10% of the value) so they simply stamp the form and say "Welcome Home."

As to what we buy, we always look for high priced scotches and Cognacs. Lugging bottles home to save a few dollars is just not worth our while. But when we can get something like Courvoisier XO for $62 a liter (this was the deal we spotted last year in St Maarten) I quickly buy buy buy (bought 5 liters of this stuff). This cognac would cost us about $140 for a 750 ml bottle if we found it at home. It is the same with good single malt Scotch where I can save substantial money ($30 + per bottle) on some excellent high-end products found in St Maarten.

Hank

AHOY SHIPMATE,

jack Daniels was my favorite for 50 years, then they "played" with the formula and I switched to MAKERS MARK. Don't pass it up if you have an opportunity to get some.

GARY

I enjoy Maker's Mark very much! One of the things I will be checking on is Maker's 46. If the price is good, I'll be bringing some home!:D

As to what we buy, we always look for high priced scotches and Cognacs. Lugging bottles home to save a few dollars is just not worth our while. But when we can get something like Courvoisier XO for $62 a liter (this was the deal we spotted last year in St Maarten) I quickly buy buy buy (bought 5 liters of this stuff). This cognac would cost us about $140 for a 750 ml bottle if we found it at home. It is the same with good single malt Scotch where I can save substantial money ($30 + per bottle) on some excellent high-end products found in St Maarten.

Hank

Thank you for posting this!

I will definitely be looking at single malts. I am working on a price list to see what kind of deal I can find. I really like Glenfiddich and just found out that they make several varieties that are not sold in the US. Especially interested in their 15 year Distillery Edition and 19 year Age of Exploration.

My experience with brandies and cognacs is very limited, but I am interested in broadening my palate and will be looking at them very closely.

Usually, the duty-free limit is 1 liter per person. However, if you buy 1 liter of alcohol that is produced in the USVI or other US insular possession while on a cruise that ports in an insular possession, the limit is raised to 5 liters per person plus 1 liter from the ship or other port.

So, since I'm planning on picking up a bottle of Southern Comfort Special Reserve (only available in duty free shops) and a bottle of Cruzan 151 and both are bottled on St. Croix, the limit for my wife and I will be 12 liters.:eek::D

And I always check the prices on the ship thoroughly so I can compare prices when we are in port. So far the biggest difference I have found was last year in Nassau. The ship had Glenfiddich 12YO for $44.99 and I got it for $28 on the island. I have seen it go the other way, but not by such a wide margin.

Just a note about Cruzan 151 (or any other 151 Rum) They are not allowed on planes even in checked baggage. The alcohol content makes it an exposion/fire hazard and the Airlines or TSA WILL take it from your luggage if the X-ray shows it.

Since you are from GA, you might consider driving.

Just a note about Cruzan 151 (or any other 151 Rum) They are not allowed on planes even in checked baggage. The alcohol content makes it an exposion/fire hazard and the Airlines or TSA WILL take it from your luggage if the X-ray shows it.

Thanks for the warning!

We will be driving down. We're about an hour west of Savannah so it will be a 10-12 hour ride, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than flying. Plus, I don't have to be molested by TSA and there's no restrictions on how much or how strong of booze I bring back!:D

I enjoy Maker's Mark very much! One of the things I will be checking on is Maker's 46. If the price is good, I'll be bringing some home!:D

Thank you for posting this!

I will definitely be looking at single malts. I am working on a price list to see what kind of deal I can find. I really like Glenfiddich and just found out that they make several varieties that are not sold in the US. Especially interested in their 15 year Distillery Edition and 19 year Age of Exploration.

My experience with brandies and cognacs is very limited, but I am interested in broadening my palate and will be looking at them very closely.

Yep, its true and we have tried several types of Glenfiddich that we have never seen at home. But its even more fun with Glenmorangie which produces all kinds of varieties. They will take their wonderful scotch and age it in different types of previous used barrels such as Sauterne which gives the whiskey a different flavor/finish. The last time I looked they make at least 13 different varieties of which they only carry 2 in our home state. We are always looking for something new and different and its always a lot of fun when we taste new varieties. There was a shop in St Maarten, owned by a gentleman from India, where he would actually let me taste many different scotches before I bought. But alas, his family had a major falling-out and now he owns a children's clothing store while his relatives run a smaller version of his old liquor store. Nothing is forever :(

Hank

Learn something new everyday. So, how high 'proof' can you take in your luggage on an airplane?

Yep, its true and we have tried several types of Glenfiddich that we have never seen at home. But its even more fun with Glenmorangie which produces all kinds of varieties. They will take their wonderful scotch and age it in different types of previous used barrels such as Sauterne which gives the whiskey a different flavor/finish. The last time I looked they make at least 13 different varieties of which they only carry 2 in our home state. We are always looking for something new and different and its always a lot of fun when we taste new varieties. There was a shop in St Maarten, owned by a gentleman from India, where he would actually let me taste many different scotches before I bought. But alas, his family had a major falling-out and now he owns a children's clothing store while his relatives run a smaller version of his old liquor store. Nothing is forever :(

Hank

Thank you again!

Did a bit of checking, and it looks like I will be looking hard at Glenmorangie as well! My big aim this cruise is to pick up some stuff that is just not available here.

The Glenfiddich Age of Exploration that I'll be looking for is aged in bourbon barrels which sounds right up my alley!

Learn something new everyday. So, how high 'proof' can you take in your luggage on an airplane?

I don't fly, but I've read in various places that anything 140 proof or higher is a no-no.

Since the vast majority of liquors are in the 80-100 proof range, I wouldn't think it would be a big problem for anyone if they are a bit careful in their choice of booze!:D

• 3 weeks later...
I don't fly, but I've read in various places that anything 140 proof or higher is a no-no.

Since the vast majority of liquors are in the 80-100 proof range, I wouldn't think it would be a big problem for anyone if they are a bit careful in their choice of booze!:D

The reality is that most of the Caribbean Liquor stores will carefully pack your booze in a box. If you simply put that box into your checked luggage it is highly unlikely that anyone will open it to find out the proof of your booze.

Hank

Curious how you are going to haul back to States safely.Ah, you drive to port?

Yes, we will be driving to the port. We are in southeast GA, so the drive to Miami will only be 10 or so hours. The wife and I both enjoy riding so its good.

It may not be as quick as flying in, but its a whole lot cheaper!:D

• 4 weeks later...

Down to just over 2 months til sailing!! Woo-Hoo!!:D

Shopping list is coming along nicely and have a very good price comparison list as well. Not really sure how much will follow me home this year, but I have over a dozen items on my "Not Imported into USA" list.:eek:

Not to mention the stuff I will be bringing back to ensure some happy relatives come Christmas!:p

• 2 weeks later...

Not happy right now! I have emailed several places at ports on our itinerary and so far the only items on my list that I've found are the SoCo Special Reserve, Cherry Marnier and Hennessey Pure White. Really wanted to find the Jack Silver and Havana Club.:(

My last hope at this point looks to be the DF shop in San Juan, but I haven't heard back from them yet. Anyone know if they stock the JD Silver or Havana Club?

Has anyone here tried the Spanish liquour "43?" Always buy it when I go the Caribbean, and they also have it on board on almost all the cruise lines we've been on. It's slightly vanilla in taste, and every time we've brought it out at home, guests fall in love with it!

Archived