1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Thanks for the awesome review!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You are very welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read it.

I was on Sunshine last month and loved it. Ocean plaza on deck 5 had a awesome band and breakfast buffett in the mornings that many did not know about. The pasta place and JiJi's kitchen at the back of lido were wonderful at lunch and you could look out of the ships wake with floor to ceiling windows. The Epic Rock show was awesome.

So glad to hear that many on her responding are liking the Sunshine. I may have to try it after all. :D

Thank you so much for the awesome review!!

I actually posted recently about how to find LFK because of your pictures!!! I so want to go there, NOW! Alas, I have to be a grown up and wait.. I do thank you for all the information on how to find it though... It is on my next trip plans..

I did have a question. Did you ever contact CCL about Camp Carnival? I am right behind the rest of the people that have posted, on that you should contact them... I work as a substitute teacher for our local school system and personally, their actions would have gotten them fired. I have a child that is just like yours and it is scary, thinking that they may be treated this way and even worse, I have 2 special needs children that will be going to CC. So, it really makes me worry, that some of the counselors would treat kids this way.. If you did get a response, I would love to know what they said!

Actually, I'm sad to sad that I never found the time to contact them. My hectic schedule is just so out of control at the moment that it completely slipped my mind. Honestly, I'm not much of a complainer unless backed against the wall. I would have a guilty conscious if I was responsible for getting someone fired (although as much as I will admit it, these 2 particular ladies had no business being in the "position" of working with kids). I'm not sure if it's too late now to contact them or not. I really don't have the free time (I know, I'm on here a lot, but I pop on and off and get on when I'm taking a short break from homework and studying) until this semester is over with (in May). I know that crew members rotate ships all the time. I wouldn't even know if they are still on the Dream at all at this point. :(

Holy smokes! You are about to graduate! How many days till graduation? And are you going to take a graduation cruise? Congratulations!

I am crossing my fingers that I will get to graduate. I have 3 more weeks of school left (and then the following week is pinning and also graduation). This has been a messed up semester for me. So many things went on (my oldest daughter had her baby in January, my oldest son had a baby in February...with complications that kept him in the hospital for awhile, I'm in the middle of moving...and the list goes on). :( I'm not in the best "position" at this point to take my final exam and feel comfortable with it. I'm just crossing my fingers at this point and hoping for the best. If I don't graduate, I will return in the fall to finish out and graduate in December. :rolleyes:

Yes, I have a cruise planned about a week after graduation. I have already informed my husband that the bar bill will be higher than normal and he will be my designated walker for the cruise. (I'm really not a lush...2-3 drinks gets me tipsy, so I'm a cheap date). I will either be celebrating on this cruise or I will be sulking in my misery. :p

• 3 weeks later...

I just spent the last week reading your review! Wow, was this helpful and amazing, so thank you so much for taking the time to post it!

Mom (59), sister (38) and I (35) are going on this itinerary on the Sunshine in August. I'm in the midst of my own frantic research on ports and excursions, so this review was INCREDIBLY helpful. And your pictures are amazing - I am looking into the Olympus Tough!!!

We are not snorkelers, and sister and I don't even particularly like the beach (I know, why on earth are we going to the Caribbean???).

Some things we're considering: Victor Bodden's Zip n Dip in Roatan, Cavetubing in Belize (is it worth it? Or is it incredibly crowded?), some ruins somewhere (sis was an anthropology major, no way will we be able to avoid!)

Not really sure what else to do! We're kind of in the middle from you - we are not GO GO GO all the time, but also get bored laying around. Moderate activity is our style...we want to see/do fun things, without having to work too hard, ya know what I mean? Any recommendations? (We are completely comfortable using non-ship excursions, used a bunch in Alaska and had a blast on those!)

Oh, and Sakari is ADORABLE!

Looking forward to reading this and seeing what your thoughts are on Carnival after cruising mostly NCL. I have only cruised Carnival, but we are going on the Norwegian Jewel in November with some friends. Can't wait to finish reading your reviews.

I just spent the last week reading your review! Wow, was this helpful and amazing, so thank you so much for taking the time to post it!

Mom (59), sister (38) and I (35) are going on this itinerary on the Sunshine in August. I'm in the midst of my own frantic research on ports and excursions, so this review was INCREDIBLY helpful. And your pictures are amazing - I am looking into the Olympus Tough!!!

We are not snorkelers, and sister and I don't even particularly like the beach (I know, why on earth are we going to the Caribbean???).

Some things we're considering: Victor Bodden's Zip n Dip in Roatan, Cavetubing in Belize (is it worth it? Or is it incredibly crowded?), some ruins somewhere (sis was an anthropology major, no way will we be able to avoid!)

Not really sure what else to do! We're kind of in the middle from you - we are not GO GO GO all the time, but also get bored laying around. Moderate activity is our style...we want to see/do fun things, without having to work too hard, ya know what I mean? Any recommendations? (We are completely comfortable using non-ship excursions, used a bunch in Alaska and had a blast on those!)

We used ViV Tours in Belize for our Cave Tubing excursion...absolutely fantastic!!! Ranks as our top excursion thus far, with the Rhino Boats in St.Marteen a very close second.

I did the Victor Bodden Island Tour and Monkey business right there at his compound. The tour was honestly lame, they drove us around the island sort of and pointed out things like gas stations and their versions of 7-11. IF we ever do the Western itinerary again, we'll end up just staying at the port and make use of the beach and facilities there.

Cave tubing is absolutely worth it. Don't be put off on the roughly hour drive to get out to the cave system.

I suggest to NOT try walking around Belize City right at the port, it can be very dangerous. There is a reason the port area is walled, gated and guarded.

Oh gosh, an entire week to read (I'm hiding in shame because I know I'm very "winded" sometimes :D) But seriously, I'm so glad it helped you out some.

We had a good time doing the zip lining (with a few little "mishaps" along the way-you can read it in one of my reviews below), but I would recommend it. It was a lot of fun. Just know the "dip" portion takes you to the beach (West Bay), which is where a lot of people go to do some awesome snorkeling right from the beach. ;)

We really enjoyed cave tubing with .bz. they were wonderful both times. I highly recommend them and if you read both of my reviews and see the pictures, you'll know why. :D It's a very highly educational tour along the way (both in the van and during the walking to the river) and we enjoyed it (went twice since we had to take my oldest daughter with us the 2nd time since they had never been before). To me, it's one of those things that you do, you enjoy it, it's a once in a lifetime experience, then you don't do it again. We did it twice and that's enough. We have moved on to the beaches...but I would recommend it if it's your first time to Belize.

As far as it being crowded, it depends when you go (off season or busy season). The first time there was hardly anyone there. The second time it was busy, but didn't really effect us (until we got to the end of the trail to get in the water...then one of the tour guides stood in line for us while we sat in the shade and waited). So even though you're in a "group" with a guide, you're not really "with" everyone else. People walk at their own pace, stop to see things and "try" things along the way, so it feels like just your group.

I honestly don't know what direction to point you in since I always try to seek out a beach and snorkeling. LOL Hopefully someone else can chime in on some things to do not beach related. All of the places I have been to are listed in my signature line if you want to review any. :)

Thanks for the comment on Sakari. She's my little angel.

Looking forward to reading this and seeing what your thoughts are on Carnival after cruising mostly NCL. I have only cruised Carnival, but we are going on the Norwegian Jewel in November with some friends. Can't wait to finish reading your reviews.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Enjoy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We used ViV Tours in Belize for our Cave Tubing excursion...absolutely fantastic!!! Ranks as our top excursion thus far, with the Rhino Boats in St.Marteen a very close second.

I did the Victor Bodden Island Tour and Monkey business right there at his compound. The tour was honestly lame, they drove us around the island sort of and pointed out things like gas stations and their versions of 7-11. IF we ever do the Western itinerary again, we'll end up just staying at the port and make use of the beach and facilities there.

Cave tubing is absolutely worth it. Don't be put off on the roughly hour drive to get out to the cave system.

I suggest to NOT try walking around Belize City right at the port, it can be very dangerous. There is a reason the port area is walled, gated and guarded.

Thank you! We decided not to do the cave tubing, but I will research ViV and maybe change our minds. At this point we are thinking of just doing a ruin in Belize.

Is that a different Victor Bodden tour from the Zip n Dip?

Oh gosh, an entire week to read (I'm hiding in shame because I know I'm very "winded" sometimes :D) But seriously, I'm so glad it helped you out some.

We had a good time doing the zip lining (with a few little "mishaps" along the way-you can read it in one of my reviews below), but I would recommend it. It was a lot of fun. Just know the "dip" portion takes you to the beach (West Bay), which is where a lot of people go to do some awesome snorkeling right from the beach. ;)

We really enjoyed cave tubing with .bz. they were wonderful both times. I highly recommend them and if you read both of my reviews and see the pictures, you'll know why. :D It's a very highly educational tour along the way (both in the van and during the walking to the river) and we enjoyed it (went twice since we had to take my oldest daughter with us the 2nd time since they had never been before). To me, it's one of those things that you do, you enjoy it, it's a once in a lifetime experience, then you don't do it again. We did it twice and that's enough. We have moved on to the beaches...but I would recommend it if it's your first time to Belize.

As far as it being crowded, it depends when you go (off season or busy season). The first time there was hardly anyone there. The second time it was busy, but didn't really effect us (until we got to the end of the trail to get in the water...then one of the tour guides stood in line for us while we sat in the shade and waited). So even though you're in a "group" with a guide, you're not really "with" everyone else. People walk at their own pace, stop to see things and "try" things along the way, so it feels like just your group.

I honestly don't know what direction to point you in since I always try to seek out a beach and snorkeling. LOL Hopefully someone else can chime in on some things to do not beach related. All of the places I have been to are listed in my signature line if you want to review any. :)

Thanks for the comment on Sakari. She's my little angel.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Enjoy. :)

Thank you! So far, it looks like we're going to do Nachi Cocom in Coz, a ruin in Belize (although we may still decide on cave tubing), Victor Bodden in Roatan, and maybe a catamaran and beginner snorkeling ship excursion in Costa Maya (unless we do cave tubing in Belize, in which case, we'll do a ruin here).

Thank you! So far, it looks like we're going to do Nachi Cocom in Coz, a ruin in Belize (although we may still decide on cave tubing), Victor Bodden in Roatan, and maybe a catamaran and beginner snorkeling ship excursion in Costa Maya (unless we do cave tubing in Belize, in which case, we'll do a ruin here).

Two GREAT choices. Can't go wrong there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just starting to read this Review. Will be going in November.

It's a good thing you have a lot of time to read it prior to leaving. :p It's a pretty long review. :D

Thank you for a great review. My husband and I are sailing on the Dream in July. Can not wait! Love your attitude. We will have a great time - we will be on vacation!

Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful cruise in July. :)

Just spent the last 8 hours reading your review! Wow! I certainly learned a lot. I wanted to add that since I was a kid ( I am in my 50's now), my Mom used Noxema on my sunburns. I started using it to wash my face in my teens. I am happy to say that I have very few wrinkles! So, I still use it for sunburns (I rarely get one because of the big C danger) and wash my face twice a day tot keep the wrinkles away!:D

Congratulations on the wonderful report. I have never been interested in the Caribbean but boy after reading your report I want to go now!!! trouble is we have to factor in an air fare. then its no use going for just a short cruise, so we will need to add a land tour, and of course can't go to USA without going on an Alaskan cruise, then going to Las Vegas and this list goes on. Think we will have to wait til hubby retires, trouble is then we will have the time but not the money.

Regarding kids club - I have taken granddaughters on Princess and P & O and they absolutely loved kids club, was a battle to get the little one out for meals.

I have heard somewhere and I cant recall where, so it may or may not have any truth but I recall hearing that some cruise lines do not employ the kids club staff themselves, the staff are contracted through a third party. Not that it is any excuse but it could explain why perhaps the staff there are so indifferent, in comparison to other crew members.

Just spent the last 8 hours reading your review! Wow! I certainly learned a lot. I wanted to add that since I was a kid ( I am in my 50's now), my Mom used Noxema on my sunburns. I started using it to wash my face in my teens. I am happy to say that I have very few wrinkles! So, I still use it for sunburns (I rarely get one because of the big C danger) and wash my face twice a day tot keep the wrinkles away!:D

I can remember when I was little that my mom used to use Noxema for something as well and also Oil of Olay. I guess I didn't realize that it also keeps wrinkles away. :p

Congratulations on the wonderful report. I have never been interested in the Caribbean but boy after reading your report I want to go now!!! trouble is we have to factor in an air fare. then its no use going for just a short cruise, so we will need to add a land tour, and of course can't go to USA without going on an Alaskan cruise, then going to Las Vegas and this list goes on. Think we will have to wait til hubby retires, trouble is then we will have the time but not the money.

Regarding kids club - I have taken granddaughters on Princess and P & O and they absolutely loved kids club, was a battle to get the little one out for meals.

I have heard somewhere and I cant recall where, so it may or may not have any truth but I recall hearing that some cruise lines do not employ the kids club staff themselves, the staff are contracted through a third party. Not that it is any excuse but it could explain why perhaps the staff there are so indifferent, in comparison to other crew members.

Yea, I'm really not sure how the kids club works on Carnival. We normally sail with NCL and the kids club staff there has been nothing but amazing each time. Maybe it was just the current staff that they had when we were on the ship. I'm just not sure. :(

It's a good thing you have a lot of time to read it prior to leaving. :p It's a pretty long review. :D

Thanks for your comment and glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a wonderful cruise in July. :)

We will be doing the same Itinerary in December 2015. We have already been to Maya Key in Roatan and really enjoyed it. We did the Ruins in Belize & have done Isla Pasion (Passion Island when my kids were younger) 2 times.

This Fall we are doing a Repo on NCL Dawn & have already reserved at Nachi Cocom in Cozumel to try it out for something different. I enjoy the beach with food & drink and my DH loves snorkeling.

Could you list who you went through to book Little French Key & Cavetubing? That will give me a head start on my planning for next year.

I still have to finish my planning for this year!!!

We will be doing the same Itinerary in December 2015. We have already been to Maya Key in Roatan and really enjoyed it. We did the Ruins in Belize & have done Isla Pasion (Passion Island when my kids were younger) 2 times.

This Fall we are doing a Repo on NCL Dawn & have already reserved at Nachi Cocom in Cozumel to try it out for something different. I enjoy the beach with food & drink and my DH loves snorkeling.

Could you list who you went through to book Little French Key & Cavetubing? That will give me a head start on my planning for next year.

I still have to finish my planning for this year!!!

For Little French Key, we contacted them directly and booked. Larissa and her husband are the owners and she answers pretty quickly (as long as they have internet service). I am hearing that Carnival has contracted with them recently, so I'm not sure if Carnival cruisers can still book directly with them or have to use the cruise line when booking now or not.

For cave tubing we used cavetubing dot bz both times.

I hope you enjoy your cruise. :)

I could not recommend it more highly. Check out the Cozumel forum for pics and further reviews.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!! Do you have anything else planned for this year or are you waiting to take your Boards?

Yes and Yes. :D

I'm waiting to take my boards at the moment (my name officially appeared on the board of nursing site today). So it may be a few months before that happens.

Then we have a cruise booked for November on NCL's Sun. It's probably one of the oldest and smallest ships in the fleet, but it's going to be a relaxation cruise this time around since we just got off the NCL Getaway a few weeks ago. We were able to book both of them (Getaway and Sun) when there was a sale that didn't charge for anyone booked after the 2nd person and saved a bunch. Then we upgraded several times and ended up with a mini suite. So, we got the Sun cruise for EXTREMELY cheap. I'll take it.

Next year I hope to head to Bermuda or Southern Caribbean. :)