1st time Carnival cruiser (DREAM) complete review & pictorial (from a NCL cruiser)

mitsugirly

Can anyone tell me about camp carnival on the dream? I have two girls one is 7 and the other 2. What kind of activities... Etc are offered?

I'm confused. I discussed this in my thread in detail...at least my experiences. :confused:

I thoroughly enjoyed your review (as always). I just wanted to mention to you that we went on the Carnival Fascination a few weeks ago (after having been on two NCL cruises with our kids). We found the kids club to be a very different experience also! My two kids are 6 and 10 and both loved the kids club on NCL (had to drag them away). This time on Carnival it became a battle to get them to go. I don't know if it had something to do with the fact that there were 300 kids on board (summertime) vs. a fall cruise with not many kids, but they were not impressed. Also, I was a little frustrated with having to take them to two different areas all of the time (two age groups). I had to constantly keep looking at my kids club info to find out where to go. On NCL, they just met at the club, regardless of age group. Oh well, we are going on the Dawn in November, so hopefully they will love it again! I really want to write a review comparing NCL and Carnival, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I thoroughly enjoyed your review (as always). I just wanted to mention to you that we went on the Carnival Fascination a few weeks ago (after having been on two NCL cruises with our kids). We found the kids club to be a very different experience also! My two kids are 6 and 10 and both loved the kids club on NCL (had to drag them away). This time on Carnival it became a battle to get them to go. I don't know if it had something to do with the fact that there were 300 kids on board (summertime) vs. a fall cruise with not many kids, but they were not impressed. Also, I was a little frustrated with having to take them to two different areas all of the time (two age groups). I had to constantly keep looking at my kids club info to find out where to go. On NCL, they just met at the club, regardless of age group. Oh well, we are going on the Dawn in November, so hopefully they will love it again! I really want to write a review comparing NCL and Carnival, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thank you. Also, I hate to hear that you also didn't care as much for Carnival. This isn't encouraging. I was hoping our experience was a one time thing and that it wouldn't happen again, but a few others have posted that as well. :( I really want to do another Carnival cruise next year and I was hoping for a better "kids club" experience. Sakari loves her kids club. It's just very odd for her not to want to go. :eek:

I would love to read your comparisions between the two cruise lines. When you are done with your review, please feel free to post a link here. I might miss it if you don't. I kinda pop in and out of here (I just happen to be on school break at the moment and I'm on here more often now, but will be headed back to school in 2 weeks).

I will let you know when I've done my review. We haven't given up on Carnival, because overall we had a good experience (despite my 6 year old falling down a flight of stairs-:eek:she's perfectly fine though). Just disappointed in the kids club and the food, but we are still considering the Dream or another Carnival cruise. Their ports are just so much more convenient for us in N. Carolina than NCL ports.

Sadly my kids had negative experiences with Camp Carnival (age 10-12) on our first cruise. Our next cruise was NCL and when my son got off the ship he said it was the best vacation ever. We did two more NCL cruises with great teen club experiences. I went back to Carnival last year to give them another shot since I had no kids with me and I had a great time. After reading this review I am excited for my November Dream cruise!

I love reading your review and you have some great pictures. I may do this itinerary next year after reading your review. You were so detail about each port and the excursions you did. I love how Sakari is so adventurous, and she has no fear holding animals. I could not stop laughing at that lady face when she jumped off that deck. I probably would of had the same facial expression seeing someone that small jumping from a two story deck into the water.

Sorry, about your experience at camp Carnival I would definitely email them about your experience and how some staff members were acting.

The same thing happen to me not seeing the room service menu. It was my very first cruise last year, and I did my research on these boards so I knew there was a menu. I guess so much was going on I kept forgetting to ask the room steward where's the menu. I have another cruise coming up in October I'm going to make sure I look for it.

I felt bad for your grandson with the sunburns, I burn very easy, and I tend to get heat bumps and welts. So I know how he felt. You gave me a good idea to where a T-shirt and pack my noxzema.:)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

I will let you know when I've done my review. We haven't given up on Carnival, because overall we had a good experience (despite my 6 year old falling down a flight of stairs-:eek:she's perfectly fine though). Just disappointed in the kids club and the food, but we are still considering the Dream or another Carnival cruise. Their ports are just so much more convenient for us in N. Carolina than NCL ports.

Thanks and I can't wait to read it. We haven't given up on Carnival either. We will definitely try it again (hopefully next year). I hope we have a better kids club experience the next time around.

Oh gosh...a flight of stairs? Yikes. I'm glad she's ok.

Sadly my kids had negative experiences with Camp Carnival (age 10-12) on our first cruise. Our next cruise was NCL and when my son got off the ship he said it was the best vacation ever. We did two more NCL cruises with great teen club experiences. I went back to Carnival last year to give them another shot since I had no kids with me and I had a great time. After reading this review I am excited for my November Dream cruise!

Hmm, well I'm wondering if this is just not a great program then. :confused: It looks like I'm not the only one that didn't care for the kids club since several have posted on here they didn't like it.

I really think NCL has the kids club A+. Although we do find some better than others (depending on which NCL ship we have been on), but they are all still wonderful and have never had a bad experience.

I'm excited for you and your Dream cruise. :D She's so beautiful!

I love reading your review and you have some great pictures. I may do this itinerary next year after reading your review. You were so detail about each port and the excursions you did. I love how Sakari is so adventurous, and she has no fear holding animals. I could not stop laughing at that lady face when she jumped off that deck. I probably would of had the same facial expression seeing someone that small jumping from a two story deck into the water.

Sorry, about your experience at camp Carnival I would definitely email them about your experience and how some staff members were acting.

The same thing happen to me not seeing the room service menu. It was my very first cruise last year, and I did my research on these boards so I knew there was a menu. I guess so much was going on I kept forgetting to ask the room steward where's the menu. I have another cruise coming up in October I'm going to make sure I look for it.

I felt bad for your grandson with the sunburns, I burn very easy, and I tend to get heat bumps and welts. So I know how he felt. You gave me a good idea to where a T-shirt and pack my noxzema.:)

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for your comment and reading my review. It's a lot of work and I wish I could have had more time with it, but it had to do with such a short time frame to write it with school.

We have done this same route in the Western Caribbean several times. If you need more ideas of places to go, you can check the other reviews in my signature line.

Nope, Sakari has no fear. I haven't really decided yet if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I can see it getting her in to trouble one day. :eek:

The lady that gasp when she jumped cracked me up too. They were too chicken to go at first. They couldn't believe that she did it. After that, they HAD to go or be made fun of. ;)

I will definitely know about the room menu and the cheesecake the next time...that's one thing that everyone here has drilled into my head this time around and there's no forgetting that on the next Carnival cruise. hehe

I just don't think that my oldest daughter thought he would burn. He usually doesn't, but the sun is just so strong down there...and she should know this, it's not like it was her first cruise. She'll know next time. I specifically bring (or buy) a tee shirt just for this reason (although Sakari usually just turns pretty darn dark!)

I have the Breeze on my radar too. :D

I'm not even sure who I would write about the experience at CC. I have thought about it, but wonder if it ever does any good or has a positive outcome. I was definitely biting my tongue a lot on this cruise with them. Trust me, I'm pretty sure they knew I was upset by the looks on my face. I also made references whenever we dropped her off and picked her up....I said them to Sakari and not to them, but when they were standing next to me and loud enough for them to hear me of course. Each time they never acknowledged me about it and walked away when I know they heard. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your interview, I've spent way too much time in the last couple of days reading it!

I do think you should write Carnival about Camp Carnival. At the very least they will have record of your experiences and the best they may make a change!!! It may have helped if you had gone to a supervisor or guest services right off instead of it getting worse as the week went on.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful review. It was like a good book that I couldn't put down. My friend and I are going on the Dream 2/1/14 and can't wait. You're information was wonderful!! But I do have a question. I got from the earlier posts the cameras that you were using, and I'm looking into the Olympus Tough to purchase but there are multiple models, can you please tell me your model? I really am blown away by the quality of your pictures, they are incredible!!!!

Thanks!!

broot01

I just wanted to say thank you for your wonderful review. It was like a good book that I couldn't put down. My friend and I are going on the Dream 2/1/14 and can't wait. You're information was wonderful!! But I do have a question. I got from the earlier posts the cameras that you were using, and I'm looking into the Olympus Tough to purchase but there are multiple models, can you please tell me your model? I really am blown away by the quality of your pictures, they are incredible!!!!

Thanks!!

broot01

Thanks so much for the compliments.

My Olympus Tough is a 620. I know there are newer models now (since I have seen people on here mention other models with the higher numbers), so I would check them all out. I love mine and especially all of the neat settings it has on them (a lot more than the Canon and easier to use). :)

We just got back from the Dream, and our cruise was anything but. Service was awful, food was horrible, didn't meet our room steward till day 4, and still don't really know his name.

2 hours for dinner, really? staff could have cared less. Shows were awful, and not even a farewell show. Where was funship Freddy?

Time to go back to royal caribbean

We just got back from the Dream, and our cruise was anything but. Service was awful, food was horrible, didn't meet our room steward till day 4, and still don't really know his name.

2 hours for dinner, really? staff could have cared less. Shows were awful, and not even a farewell show. Where was funship Freddy?

Time to go back to royal caribbean

Very interesting.....we sail Dream 9/21 for the 3rd time and will report back as well.

Two hours for dinner is not surprising, what time did you go?

We don't do the shows anymore, seen them all, we prefer the comedians, and time on our balcony.

We have never had a back cruise on Carnival, but to each his/her own. Good luck and happy cruising.

dinner was at 6. the waiter had 5 tables of 12 each. it was not a good cruise. food was cold, half eaten when 15 minutes later they would bring around sour cream, au jus, etc. the BBq on the lanai was tacos, hamburger, no bbq.

the deck parties were people pushing and shoving to get beads which were not plentiful, and if you weren't by the bar, you didn't stand a chance.

the food seemed recycled.. the Mexican buffet was served at lunch the next day.

the best place to eat was the pasta bar, but that took 40 minutes.

plenty of people who had sign and sail card problems, so guest services had huge lines

We just had to be sitting by Mickey and his gang:

P5100054-M.jpg

Everyone looked like they were having a blast over there riding the AquaDuck...me dreaming about how maybe some day I'll be able to afford Disney. Sigh. I was really hoping that Disney pulled out before us. I wanted to hear their "Wish Upon a Star" horn. But, that didn't happen. My oldest daughter set up on a higher deck (I found out later) waiting to hear it and it never happened.

Meanwhile, here I am sitting on the deck watching this cruise line that I had never been on FULLY PACKED TO CAPACITY...yes, no rooms available, another first for me, getting ready to leave the port in silence as we drift out into the sunset quietly like a ship in the night ninja and all of a sudden...here we go...time to PAR-TAY! The music started blaring, the chairs were moved off the deck and there was Julie the cruise director getting everyone pumped up and ready to dance. Can I get a h3ll yea?! You bet. I was super excited at that point and ready to get my dance on. Whoever said Carnival was a boring, no music ship was out of their minds.

Drink in hand and party on dude!

When did you cruise? We were on the Fantasy May 18th, and I remember seeing one of the bigger Carnival ships in port with us. This struck me as funny, because I was watching it during the Sail Away party, and I swear I couldn't have talked to DH for 5 seconds and the Carnival ship was GONE! I remember wondering if I had got turned around and was looking the wrong direction - but nope, Carnival was way the heck ahead of us heading out to sea! And I wanted to watch it leave port and wave to everyone! - Like a ninja is right!

I also remember it took Disney a lot longer to blast their horn - we were well into the sail away party before it happened, and usually they do it to start off the party.

We are taking our first CCL cruise in December after years of Disney - I love reading your review - even though we are going on the Magic and not the Dream. Your review is really helpful, and I'm sure I'm have 1 million questions when I finally catch up!

Edited by Landlocked_N_Texas

• 2 months later...

Just finished your review and LOVED it! The pictures were amazing and now I really want to book our Christmas cruise already lol. I am ready for warm weather, we have had nothing but snow, ice, and super cold temperatures here. I think some sun time would be nice lol.

Where did you ship out of again?

I REALLY like the glitzyness of this ship so much glitter :) Time to read your NCL reviews. One more day till you are back on a ship :)

Your review was just wonderful on MANY levels!!!

It is nice to read a really balanced picture of a ship compared to a really balanced picture of another line!

On a more personal level I too want to commend you for how you are parenting your adult daughter and letting her handle her son in her own way!! The only trouble comes in when as in this case, the child really had to suffer that terrible sunburn when more lotion or a shirt would have prevented the issue! I think that if a child is in danger of getting seriously hurt then it would be OK for you to step in (JMO).

It was also hard to read about the issues with camp carnival!! Those people sounded like they should not have been put in charge of a program like that!!Your daughter is so cute and I am sure she has had better times in other camp situations!! I don't have young children anymore(MY baby just turned 40)BUT I might have gone to customer relations to have a talk with a higher up officer about the camp situation. I am not sure if they would have done anything but at least you would have been on record as not having been happy!

Maybe one day we'll get to Caribbean Cruises!

We are happy here on the west coast and I do land vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean as girl getaway times!!

Thanks again for taking soooo much time to write and post your gorgeous pix!!!:p

• 4 weeks later...
Just finished your review and LOVED it! The pictures were amazing and now I really want to book our Christmas cruise already lol. I am ready for warm weather, we have had nothing but snow, ice, and super cold temperatures here. I think some sun time would be nice lol.

Where did you ship out of again?

I REALLY like the glitzyness of this ship so much glitter :) Time to read your NCL reviews. One more day till you are back on a ship :)

We have loved our Christmas cruises. It's so different to see the ships and the ports all decorated with a Christmas tree and decorations (while in the heat and Caribbean...lol). However, now that I just finished our next Christmas cruise-on the Jewel-it will probably be the last time I sail around Christmas. It is just TOO HECTIC to try to get the tree up prior to sailing, the trip, then coming home 2 days before Christmas. Whew! Last minute Christmas shopping is never a good thing...you spend way too much money.

This Dream cruise was out of Port Canaveral. The one we just got back from was out of NOLA (or 3rd time sailing from NOLA).

I have just completed my NCL review of the Jewel now. The link is in my signature line.

Your review was just wonderful on MANY levels!!!

It is nice to read a really balanced picture of a ship compared to a really balanced picture of another line!

On a more personal level I too want to commend you for how you are parenting your adult daughter and letting her handle her son in her own way!! The only trouble comes in when as in this case, the child really had to suffer that terrible sunburn when more lotion or a shirt would have prevented the issue! I think that if a child is in danger of getting seriously hurt then it would be OK for you to step in (JMO).

It was also hard to read about the issues with camp carnival!! Those people sounded like they should not have been put in charge of a program like that!!Your daughter is so cute and I am sure she has had better times in other camp situations!! I don't have young children anymore(MY baby just turned 40)BUT I might have gone to customer relations to have a talk with a higher up officer about the camp situation. I am not sure if they would have done anything but at least you would have been on record as not having been happy!

Maybe one day we'll get to Caribbean Cruises!

We are happy here on the west coast and I do land vacations in Mexico and the Caribbean as girl getaway times!!

Thanks again for taking soooo much time to write and post your gorgeous pix!!!:p

Thank you so much for the comments. I really appreciate it. :)

Yea, it's hard to know when to step in as a non-parent. The bad thing about this was that when you are out in the sun, sometimes it's just too hard to tell that you are burning until it's too late. I know it happens to me sometimes and I don't discover it until we get back on the ship. :eek: Lesson learned. I was prepared this time around (we just returned from a Christmas cruise) with the Noxema! :D

I honestly didn't say anything about the camp because...well, I didn't have anything to compare it too since it was my first Carnival experience. Maybe they don't do the things that NCL does as far as activities. Maybe it's actually more of a babysitting services. I don't know. However, that doesn't excuse their tone of voice or reprimanding words they had for us. That was unacceptable of course. I am just not a complainer and it's hard for me to do or say anything for fear of someone losing their job. In this economy, I never want that to happen to someone. But still, they should NOT be working with children.

• 4 weeks later...

Mitsugirly,

I've happened upon some of your pictures and reviews here lately (as I'm booked for a cruise departing in June). I've love reading your reviews and your pictures always turn out great! Do you mind if I ask what type of camera you use? Please forgive me if this is not the correct place to ask this question. I'm not 100% familiar with these boards.