What would you change about RCI?

Haven't read the whole thread so this may have been covered already....

I'd like to see more regular attention paid to the cabins. The public rooms are beautiful and immaculately kept up, but the cabin on my Navigator cruise last fall was quite tired - old carpet, old sofa, no flat screen TV, chipped balcony railing paint, etc.

And the pool area: loose those awful plastic loop lounge chairs. Even the notorious-for-cost-cutting 'Brand C' does better than that.

And while we're at it, a little better food - again, 'Brand C' seems just a bit better here.

And I almost forgot: self-service laundry.

I'm sailing Navigator again this fall but I don't expect any of these matters to have been addressed as she isn't due for her refurb until next year.

Oh well.

I'll be in the middle of the ocean relaxing. That's usually enough to...ummm...float my boat... :D

Let me count the ways...

1. Towel checkout nonsense

2. Edible food in MDR

3. Edible beef in Chops

4. Poolside food

5. Robes in room without asking

6. More wireless hotspots (like the Internet café and library instead of noisy restaurants and bars)

7. More generous payouts to Black Jack tournament winners

8. More seating in buffet

9. Working showers in Men's locker room (NOTS)

10. Refreshments and better prizes at CC meet and greet

I cruised on Oceania and they have no formal night, just resort casual. It was great not having to pack all the extras. That also have a flexible dining schedule, but I suppose that is far easier to manage with the smaller number of passengers.

I WISH escargot were back (not saying it's RCI's fault but this is a wish list)

WHAT?!?! No escargots any longer?!? :mad:

Now I'm peeved!

[EDIT: Thank you Ticktoneer for reassuring me... I panicked!]

I have not sailed RCI in a long time and have been sailing NCL. I am thinking about going back and trying The QOTS . I thought a better way to give me some insight would be to instead of asking people why they love RCI I would ask what they would like to see changed? removed? added? Improved?

I would ask for Sorrento's (pizzeria) to be open an hour later than the bar and better drink (alcoholic) packages.

Some things that could be better for us:

1. No smoking on balconies - we've tried other lines but RCI fits our family best and we love having a balcony. Our kids complain about the smoke more than we do. :cool:

2. Poolside restaurant - having to completely dry off and cover up to go grab burgers and pizza is a pain. Last cruise my daughter and I did this and because our hair was wet they stopped us at the door and said we weren't supposed to go in the WJ like that! :eek: Really?

3. Self-serve laundry - this comes in handy when you are travelling for longer than a week, especially when you have messy kids with you. :rolleyes:

4. Longer itineraries on freedom and/or oasis class ships in the Caribbean - We fly a long distance to cruise so in order to get more value from the airfare 10 to 12 night cruises would be perfect. We usually add a few days at the beginning but would prefer to spend those days on a ship instead.:D

I would like them to offer a slight discount to West Coast travelers - like the kind offered for 55+, etc. We have to pay more to fly across the country, get shuttles, & a hotel room (unless you do a red-eye flight). All that adds another $400-600 (if not more) to the cost of the cruise. A tiny discount would soften the blow.

Oh, and change the coffee - it was awful :o

Thats interesting! Is the food not good on RCI?

I wouldn't say that, however the food isn't quite what it used to be. I was recently on the Allure and ended up with two dining packages so I ate dinner in the specialty restaurants each night. The food was definately better than the usual dining room fare. The specialty restaurants run about $20 to $30 per person per night. I am sure some of that fee is designed to cover additional service and to control capacity rather than cover true food costs. That makes me wonder what RCI could offer in the dining rooms if they simply added $100 to the cruise price.

Come back to the west coast, and sail north from San Pedro.

I would support Wingatesl's suggestions #3 & #4 :D

I'd love that. I've seen a few pacific coastal iteneraries that stop in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver. I'd also be up for an Alaska cruise that sailed out of San Francisco. Princess offers a few, but SF mostly gets brief stops from the world cruise ships. SF is building a new cruise terminal and with our weather, it would make a great home port for a year-round cruise ship.:D

I'd love that. I've seen a few pacific coastal iteneraries that stop in Santa Barbara, San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver. I'd also be up for an Alaska cruise that sailed out of San Francisco. Princess offers a few, but SF mostly gets brief stops from the world cruise ships. SF is building a new cruise terminal and with our weather, it would make a great home port for a year-round cruise ship.:D

I'm not sure about the logistics, but I'd love an overnight in SFO. A stop in SB would be cool, too... I haven't been there in years.

Where is the new terminal going to be?

[EDIT: Found it - Pier 27. GREAT location! Close to Pier 39, close to Fog City Diner, close to the ferry terminal/farmers' market. ]

I thought the food on the Jewel in April was fantastic!

The new menu rocks!

I would like to overnight at Coco Cay or Labadee.

Bigger dance floors

Expanded room service menu

Colder refrigerators

Aluminum seapass holders so I don't keep deactivating mine(maybe a gift shop item??)

Archived