Newbie to MSC from Florida - language question

joyus

My DH and I are planning a cruise to the Med next year for our 30th anniversary. I've been looking at NCL, however, rec'd an email from MSC today. Based on the rate of a balcony cabin for this year, I'm anticipating the rate will probably be better than NCL's for next year.

We're not at all familiar with this cruise line, but my only hesitance is we speak English only. My husband speaks some Spanish, but I'm wondering if we'll find it difficult to communicate with the staff and guests. We are planning to take a language class in preparation for this trip (Western Med)...which do you suggest we learn for this trip?

My DH and I are planning a cruise to the Med next year for our 30th anniversary. I've been looking at NCL, however, rec'd an email from MSC today. Based on the rate of a balcony cabin for this year, I'm anticipating the rate will probably be better than NCL's for next year.

We're not at all familiar with this cruise line, but my only hesitance is we speak English only. My husband speaks some Spanish, but I'm wondering if we'll find it difficult to communicate with the staff and guests. We are planning to take a language class in preparation for this trip (Western Med)...which do you suggest we learn for this trip?

I've Been on MSC eight times and have two more booked and being typically English I speak no other language at all. I have never had any language problems although sometimes a little patience is required; all requests and problems have been resolved to my satisfaction.

If you are going to learn a language I'd go for Italian, as the ship is Italian.Many of the staff come from the pacific basin, the indian sub continent and eastern europe the officers and higher ranked staff , eg Head waiters Maitre D', are by and large Italian

Pete

Practically all crew members and staff you'll normally come in contact with speak reasonable English as a second language. That includes table waiters, cabin stewards, bartenders, etc. Just speak good simple English with them and you'll be fine (avoiding Americanisms, slang, etc.). Surprisingly many of the same lower grade staff and crew don't speak Italian.

I speak reasonable French and Spanish, am learning Italian and know a litlle Portuguese and German. I've never HAD to use any of these languages to communicate with crew. I sometimes use these other languages to communicate with passengers in the MDR at breakfast and lunch when I share a table. At dinner you are seated with English speaking passengers.

I do however use my other languages when ashore. I like to eat where the locals eat rather than places catering for tourists and being able to speak their language really helps and is appreciated.

If you want to take a language class before you go to the Med, then pick one that works for one of the countries you want to visit, particularly if you are intending having a pre or post cruise stay.

Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a little more at ease in choosing this ship & itinerary. We live in South Florida, so as you can image, we've had a fill of Caribbean cruises :-) .

Thank you everyone. I'm feeling a little more at ease in choosing this ship & itinerary. We live in South Florida, so as you can image, we've had a fill of Caribbean cruises :-) .

As long as you realize not all the staff will speak perfect English, you'll be fine. Sometimes I got the wrong potatoes or some other mix-up due to language issues but that is the extent of it. We laugh and move on....

A bit like when we asked for Disaronno and Coke because they have no Dr Pepper! ... the waiter brought Bacardi and Coke .... :eek: so we had to go talk to the barman and he explained to the waiter what we wanted... :) He had not heard of it being called Amaretto either lol.

We were on the Armonia last month and had no problem communicating with the staff. And many of the guests speak English. Generally English speaking passengers tended to be seated together at dinner. Our tablemates were from Latvia and one of them did not speak English; however after the first night the other one started translating and we really enjoyed sitting with them.

We booked private excursions so we had no language issues there either. However, I have read other posters who said that on ship tours English speaking guests are combined with other languages if there are not enough English speakers to fill the tour. And, when this occurs, guide's English may be difficult to understand.

Archived