Early Saver vs Past Guest Rate - which gets more price drops/sales?

L&J

We booked Past Guest rate for our upcoming cruise (Jan 25/14). There is an Early Saver Fall and Winter Sale on right now which gives $50 OBC. I just called to see if I could get the OBC, but it only applies to ES rate, not Past guest. She said I could change it over, but it would be a wash since the past guest rate was $50 less.

I still have 8 months to watch for price drops, but I'm wondering if most drops are on ES only? If so, I'll switch over to ES now to reap more future benefits. Do past guest rates ever have these specials too?

(The refund-ability option doesn't really matter since we've already booked our flights.)

Any advice? Thanks.

If refunds are not an issue, I would switch to early saver. With early saver you are protected against price drops for all promotions which you select your cabin in the same category up to 2 days before sailing. This would include any promos for past guest. With past guest, you really only have protection for price drops before final payment and not including early saver rates.

You are not able to take price drops under past guest booking...:(

You can take advantage of price drops up until final payment with PG rates. After that, too bad so sad. ;)

Early saver is the way to go. I have rely saver and have received $254 in onboard credits for my upcoming cruise on the Breeze. Two drops after final payment date.

Wow, that's exactly what we're hoping will happen to us, but we booked at a pretty good rate. Any little bit of OBC will help!

So, if I'm understanding everyone correctly....I can claim price drops up until 2 days from sail date with ES but only up until final payment on PG rate.

I was wondering if ES has twice as many specials as PG, therefore more chances to take advantage of OBC. It would be so much easier if they just had a flat rate for each floor, balconies more than insides!

Wow, that's exactly what we're hoping will happen to us, but we booked at a pretty good rate. Any little bit of OBC will help!

So, if I'm understanding everyone correctly....I can claim price drops up until 2 days from sail date with ES but only up until final payment on PG rate.

I was wondering if ES has twice as many specials as PG, therefore more chances to take advantage of OBC. It would be so much easier if they just had a flat rate for each floor, balconies more than insides!

You are correct about the timing of price drops (2 days, ES Final payment, PG). The thing about ES price drops is that you can price match against ANY rate you are eligible for ie:military, past guest, senior, ES, etc. They only stipulation is that it has to be a rate where you pick your cabin and is in the same category you are booked at.

This is a timely thread. We travel with a large group; however, the TA's fare is $374 more than if we were to book ES on our own. I realize we wouldn't be included in the group cocktail hour or the division of the complimentary berth. But $374 is airfare:rolleyes:. The TA is using the PG promo and now I've learned from my fellow CC members that no price drop adjustment after final payment is made with PG:eek:.

My concern is their cancellation policy. Carnival's site states that the deposit, minus $50 will be issued as a future cruise certificate - no problem with that. But what if we have to cancel AFTER final payment is made? They make no mention of that - just deposit. What is the scoop?

Also, the TA's port charges and taxes are seperate, not the case on carnival.com. We were quoted $159 for port charges and 103.66 for taxes. On Carnival's site port charges/taxes are $103.66. Again, what is the scoop:confused::confused:?

I will be interested in what the experts have to say about what you are being charged.

it seems to me that you are being hosed a bit if the quotes are accurate or if a group leader or two is going free and all of you are paying for that..In Other Words..I don't know..but curious.

I had one TA with a Local Big Dept. Store. Not a weasel..but stone stupid.

the other one that I still use sometimes...big on line TA that we don't mention that has a V in it..

Totally happy with him. Always got us a good cabin. He always was able to swing a table for two. Ditto extra credit if any was floating around. returned him calls promptly. Other than Carnival........I still book through him. We are thinking Celebrity...just to go to Key West on a Newer ship....and we will use him.

But that First one................she really had us messed up. It worked out...but we only sailed Carnival for about five years after that..where we did not have to use Travel AGents.

If refunds are not an issue, I would switch to early saver. With early saver you are protected against price drops for all promotions which you select your cabin in the same category up to 2 days before sailing. This would include any promos for past guest. With past guest, you really only have protection for price drops before final payment and not including early saver rates.

I have only been on two cruises so I do not have a lot of advise... only my own experience. My first cruise.... who knows what I booked. I know when I booked the cruise I had to pay in full. I did not check to see if prices dropped... I didn't even know that it was an option. Our second cruise.... which is in less than 20 days.. I'm not sure what it booked. lol But, I was able to do price adjustments until my final payment. After final payment I could not have any more adjustments. So, my final payment was in April. Although, I was happy with the price drops that I received... it has continued to drop. I'm paying $709. pp for 4 for a Balcony room on deck 8. Now the room is $570 pp.. Who really knows??? all I know is I'm very excited to sail on the Liberty. :)

I will be interested in what the experts have to say about what you are being charged.

it seems to me that you are being hosed a bit if the quotes are accurate or if a group leader or two is going free and all of you are paying for that..In Other Words..I don't know..but curious.

I had one TA with a Local Big Dept. Store. Not a weasel..but stone stupid.

the other one that I still use sometimes...big on line TA that we don't mention that has a V in it..

Totally happy with him. Always got us a good cabin. He always was able to swing a table for two. Ditto extra credit if any was floating around. returned him calls promptly. Other than Carnival........I still book through him. We are thinking Celebrity...just to go to Key West on a Newer ship....and we will use him.

But that First one................she really had us messed up. It worked out...but we only sailed Carnival for about five years after that..where we did not have to use Travel AGents.

The group leader always pay for their fare, which is why there is always an even split for the cost of the extra cabin. And we have NEVER got any extras that I've heard about on CC. This has been our TA since the early 90s. Nothing, notta, nilch.

Last cruise we booked Early Saver and had NO price drops. This time we booked Past Guest then switched to Friends and Family and had four price drops. Two were after final payment and both times we were able to upgrade the cabin. First to an aft extended balcony, and the second time to a higher deck and got one of the double width extended balconies on the Valor.

We are booked as PG and I'm not worried about getting any more price drops after final payment. It's my understanding that if there is price drops after final payment, you can receive OBC. Tell me if I'm right or wrong on this. I decided to go with PG in case we needed to cancel before final payment. (Get full refund).

This is a timely thread. We travel with a large group; however, the TA's fare is $374 more than if we were to book ES on our own. I realize we wouldn't be included in the group cocktail hour or the division of the complimentary berth. But $374 is airfare:rolleyes:. The TA is using the PG promo and now I've learned from my fellow CC members that no price drop adjustment after final payment is made with PG:eek:.

My concern is their cancellation policy. Carnival's site states that the deposit, minus $50 will be issued as a future cruise certificate - no problem with that. But what if we have to cancel AFTER final payment is made? They make no mention of that - just deposit. What is the scoop?

Also, the TA's port charges and taxes are seperate, not the case on carnival.com. We were quoted $159 for port charges and 103.66 for taxes. On Carnival's site port charges/taxes are $103.66. Again, what is the scoop:confused::confused:?

The cacellation penalties after the final payment date is the same no matter what rate you book (you will have to look this up). However if you are asking what happens if you make final payment early and then cancel...I have done this and they held my deposit for future cruise credit minus the $50 pp admin fee, the rest of the balance was refunded to my credit card.

We are booked as PG and I'm not worried about getting any more price drops after final payment. It's my understanding that if there is price drops after final payment, you can receive OBC. Tell me if I'm right or wrong on this. I decided to go with PG in case we needed to cancel before final payment. (Get full refund).

You can't get obc after final payment with past guest, but you can upgrade if a higher category room drops to the price you paid...

This would be wrong. Only Early Saver qualifies for OBC after final payment date. This is probably why there are more restrictions on this rate. you give up the flexibility of canceling for full refund, for the benefit of price drops until 2 days prior to sailing. Past Guest can get reductions and credits until final payment date but afterwards you will not be able to qualify for any more reductions or OBC. Remember you can always switch to Early Saver until 5 months before your sailing on longer cruises (6+ days) and 3 months prior to sailing on shorter cruises.

Archived