At&T cruiseship plan

DrD

I like this - do you have to also buy an internet plan on the ship to use the data allotment? I'd think not.

No, if you use the AT&T plan for data, there are no ship charges.

has any one already tested and was billed for the coverage?

sorry to "jack" your posting OP

Not that has been posted here. It's a brand new plan and people would have to try it and then wait for their billing statement, so it might be a month or two before we hear anything.

I checked in to this for our last cruise. We chose not to purchase the plan. I was told it was for a one month minimum with no credit for unused minutes and we had to call when we got back (no big deal) or it would continue to bill to our account at 30 day minimums...and if you go over what you purchased it was a fairly high minute charge over what you purchased.

Of course they have been known to give the wrong information.:D

Incoming texts were part of our plan while at sea and it was 50 cents to send a text at sea or any port except US territories........

Unless you plan to use the cell and data features a lot on your cruise, we felt we would not get our money's worth. We check for text messages twice a day, turn the data off and only call in a US territory or in an emergency.

I can see where it would be for a lot of people but it just wasn't for us as to how we use our cell phone on a cruise.

I did get my recent bill and it was about $30 more than before the cruise and we bought no plan.........a lot less than $60 or $120........

Just make sure you check it out and determine how you will use your phone

I might add I went in to buy the World Traveller package at $4.99 a month (I think that is correct) and they wanted me to buy the $60 or $120 package.........they no longer offer World Traveller. I said no thank you.............

I wonder if Verizon will offer something similar :rolleyes:

I don't have the link, but someone posted Verizon's cruise ship plan a few months ago. They had a cruise ship plan before AT&T.

I wonder if Verizon will offer something similar :rolleyes:

Verizon has a plan, check this page: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

I looked at both the AT&T plan and the Verizon plan because my fiance and I have both providers, respectively.

Still not sure if either plan is worth it, though. If anyone knows, please let me know! :rolleyes:

Verizon has a plan, check this page: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

I looked at both the AT&T plan and the Verizon plan because my fiance and I have both providers, respectively.

Still not sure if either plan is worth it, though. If anyone knows, please let me know! :rolleyes:

If you are looking for data, Verizon's plan is better because you only pay $25 for 100MB of data. On AT&T's plan, you have to purchase their $120 plan to get 100MB of data.

If you are looking for voice or text, then AT&T's plan is better because Verizon's plan has no voice or text.

If you are looking for data, Verizon's plan is better because you only pay $25 for 100MB of data. On AT&T's plan, you have to purchase their $120 plan to get 100MB of data.

If you are looking for voice or text, then AT&T's plan is better because Verizon's plan has no voice or text.

Thank you!!! :) Not sure how we plan on keeping in touch with our families yet. We have used Skype in the past (on two different trips in Mexico) through free wifi at the hotels. But it's helpful to know which is better for what options at least!!

Thank you!!! :) Not sure how we plan on keeping in touch with our families yet. We have used Skype in the past (on two different trips in Mexico) through free wifi at the hotels. But it's helpful to know which is better for what options at least!!

Skype is usually problematic on cruise ships because they tend to block it. If you really want to use Skype, it's best to wait until you are in a port and use land based WiFi.

We don't buy any plans for the phones and just use texting. We can receive texts for free and sending a text is only $0.50, so it's not a big deal to send a couple of texts each day.

I will definitely do it on my 13 nite cruise on the fall with no US ports ..probably the $60 plan... I am an AT&T retiree so I get 20% of their plans :D

Conveniently I leave the second day of my bill cycle so all good !!!!

Just called - won't work on GoPhone.

But, GoPhones will work from Mexico. Just dial country code 001 and then number to call US. 25 cents/minute.

Thanks for the info, and that's not a bad price for calling from Mexico.

I looked into the ship plan as well, but opted not to go with it. We were more comfortable paying the $49.95 for the Oasis internet plan.

I was also told that incoming texts would be 15-cents, outgoing texts would be 50-cents. The rates for incoming/outgoing phone calls were anywhere from $2.99 per minute to $4.89, depending on which port you were in. The rep I spoke with said cellular data was outrageous and recommended we just turn that feature off on our phones, untill we were in St. Thomas -- which is part of our US coverage plan.

Between the free rates in St. Thomas and our ship internet plan, we felt we were pretty well connected.

Ann

Skype is usually problematic on cruise ships because they tend to block it. If you really want to use Skype, it's best to wait until you are in a port and use land based WiFi.

We don't buy any plans for the phones and just use texting. We can receive texts for free and sending a text is only $0.50, so it's not a big deal to send a couple of texts each day.

Good to know, thank you! I have no problems using land-based open wifi, but my fiance, being a tech guy, is suspicious of open networks :rolleyes: Oh well, he can pay for a plan, I will use free wifi I can find in port! lol.

Archived