2 day Boston post cruise & transit options

There will be 4 of us staying 2 days post cruise (NCL Dawn to Bermuda) in Boston. I won a priceline bid for Courtyard Boston Downtown/Tremont, which seems to be provide easy walking access to the parks and the freedom trail. I've been to Boston before for two days trips, but this will be the first visit for the others in my family. On my last visit I walked nearly all of the freedom trail in pouring down rain, so I'm hoping to have better weather this time to enjoy all the history more.:)

I would like to utilize public transit as much as possible, but the system and maps are a bit confusing to me. Is there a reader friendly version of the MBTA map that one could recommend? Best way to utilize MBTA website?

This is what I am thinking about for our post cruise stay. Can I get your recommendations for transit options (line name/stop)?

Day 1: transit from pier to Hotel.

Walk to Boston Common Park & Public Gardens

transit to Cambridge/Harvard to explore

transit back to hotel

Day 2: walk freedom trail and all sites in between.

Spend time at Quincy market

transit back to hotel from end of freedom trail (or nearby)

Day 3: transit to airport in the am.

There will be 4 of us staying 2 days post cruise (NCL Dawn to Bermuda) in Boston. I won a priceline bid for Courtyard Boston Downtown/Tremont, which seems to be provide easy walking access to the parks and the freedom trail. I've been to Boston before for two days trips, but this will be the first visit for the others in my family. On my last visit I walked nearly all of the freedom trail in pouring down rain, so I'm hoping to have better weather this time to enjoy all the history more.:)

I would like to utilize public transit as much as possible, but the system and maps are a bit confusing to me. Is there a reader friendly version of the MBTA map that one could recommend? Best way to utilize MBTA website?

This is what I am thinking about for our post cruise stay. Can I get your recommendations for transit options (line name/stop)?

Day 1: transit from pier to Hotel. Silver line from in front of Black Falcon Terminal to South Station. Free transfer the Red Line direction Alewife one stop to Downtown Crossing. Get on the first car of the train. At DC transfer to the Orange Line direction Forest Hills and ride 2 stops to Tufts/NE Medical center. If this is too much with luggage, get off at South Station and take a cab. It's really not that far to the theater district.

Walk to Boston Common Park & Public Gardens

transit to Cambridge/Harvard to explore. Take the Red Line from Park St direction Alewife to Harvard Square.

transit back to hotel Take the Red Line any train direction Braintree to Downtown Crossing and transfer to the Orange Line direction Forest Hills as described above.

Day 2: walk freedom trail and all sites in between.

Spend time at Quincy market

transit back to hotel from end of freedom trail (or nearby)

Day 3: transit to airport in the am.

I will post more later. There's nothing sacred about walking every inch of the Freedom trail. Basically it's a suggested walking route that organizes all the historical sites for tourists so they dont miss anything. For walking the Freedom trail I would look at taking the orange line to Sullivan Square, walking to the Bunker Hill Monument and then the Constitution. Take the mbta water taxi to Long Wharf and walk along the waterfront into the North End to see the sites there and pick up the Freedom Trail again. Follow the trail back to Quincy Market and continue to follow the trail backwards to Boston Common and continue on back to your hotel. This route eliminates the most unappealing part of the trail from the Constitution to the North End and you won't miss anything. The walk from Long Wharf into the North End is much nicer than the walk across the bridge from Charlestown to the North End.

138's got the Freedom Trail part down for you.

Unless you're really interested in seeing Harvard itself, I'd suggest skipping the Cambridge part of your itinerary on a 2 day visit and concentrate on Boston. Harvard Square now is not the Harvard Square of the 20th century, unless you want to visit The Gap and most of the other chain stores you are familiar with.

Between the Freedom Trail, the Boston Common and Public Garden (and the swan boats and Make Way for Duckling statues) and Newbury Street and Faneuil Hall and the waterfront and the Greenway and Fenway Park, there's tons to do without crossing into Cambridge.

The ride on the Red Line over the Charles River from Cambridge to Boston, on a sunny day, is one of the most beautiful ways to see the city skyline.

Make sure you ride the Swan Boats in the Public Garden. My favorite activity. Read Make Way for Ducklings for the backstory.

Does it take a long time to get to Harvard from the cruise port via public transportation? I'm interested in seeing the Natural History Museum there. Not too interested in the Freedom trail except the USS Constitution.

Does it take a long time to get to Harvard from the cruise port via public transportation? I'm interested in seeing the Natural History Museum there. Not too interested in the Freedom trail except the USS Constitution.

Take the Silver Line from the Black Falcon Terminal (when you leave the terminal turn left and walk to the end of the terminal. The stop is across the street) to South Station. At South Station take the Red Line toward Alewife. This will take you to the Harvard Sq. stop where you can walk to the museum.

Archived