Let's lose weight together for next cruise

I am going to look for material on Diet Free for Life, Cruisin Oma. It sounds exactly like a life time plan. And there isn't really a lot to remember either. How does he address the necessary fats?

Nikki

I am going to look for material on Diet Free for Life, Cruisin Oma. It sounds exactly like a life time plan. And there isn't really a lot to remember either. How does he address the necessary fats?

Nikki

Hi Nikki.

I absolutely feel so transformed, ok, I've only lost 27 pounds, and have another 73 to go, but for the very first time in my life, I feel like I can DO IT!

Our air conditioner went out today, and we live in Phoenix, so I'm at a friends house and don't have the book. But for the most part fats come in our proteins (ok, they are also in my nighttime snacks like chocolate, but you have to limit those to 100 calories, so that's not your big source of fat :D)

He does address the fats we get in our proteins by limiting the ounces on fattier proteins to 3 (size of your palm, thickness of your hand) and leaner proteins can be 5 ounces (bottom of your hand to your first knuckle on your middle finger).

I found a couple links on the web that address it the same as him. It's not his website, because that may be advertising, but these are just lists of proteins and how much you can eat and slow carbs and how much you can eat.

Here is a link in proteins and amounts you can eat

http://www.dietfreelife.com/Protein-Sources.pdf

The hardest thing for me is remembering to include slow carbs in every meal (my old diet used to subsists of all fast carbs)

http://www.dietfreelife.com/Slow-Carb-Sources.pdf

I'll try and look up the fat stuff for you tomorrow or Sun.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ladies (and any guys who may be on this thread)

I like to join, My cruise is in June 2014, so I have some time, I joined Curves 2 weeks ago. I like to lose a total of 40lb before the cruise. I have just got my second hip replacement and am ready to go.

But I'm up there in age and my metabolism is like it is going backwards and I do love my wine.

I weigh in at Curves on Saturday so will let you know then.

Lisa

Thought I would check in. I am down 4 pounds since I posted earlier. I love seeing the number get smaller. It is great motivation.

I have been doing a lot of reading about nutrition and the various plans. I am basically eating no carbs, as much protein as I need, some cheese, some green leafy's when I am in the mood, and enough fat to feel satisfied. I eat nothing that contains wheat or flour, no starches and nothing with more than about 5 carbs per serving. I am now down 25 pounds and my bloat is gone. I feel so much better.

Hi Cruisinears! Great job. I am down 3 pounds since I last posted. I have met my original goal of 30 pounds before the cruise, but I've decided to modify it to 50. Still wont put me in Onederland, but it's a very ambitious goal by Oct 26. It's not meant to be the final goal, but saying I wanted to lose 105 pounds was depressing and seemed to be unreachable, so I've set up these mini goals for myself. My first was 30, now 50, when I get back from my cruise I'll calculate how long to get to Onederland and set that as my next goal, and then the final 25 to reach my goal. For the first time ever in my 35 years of struggling with weight, I finally feel in control. And at least for me, I don't feel like I am depriving myself of anything. I know I love my carbs and I fail at any diet that says I can't have them.

Thanks Cruisin Oma! Really the only way to lose weight is to cut out carbs. After a couple of weeks you don't even miss them and your appetite suppresses naturally.

I have a book recommendation for you: Why we get fat by Gary Taubes

I am reading it now and it is very enlightening. Your local library should have it.

Two pounds is better than no pounds. Which is where I'm still sitting. I also have a goal of about 35lbs. So far little to no progress though. I was doing well, but went overboard eating a last weekend.

Best of luck everyone!

Thanks Cruisin Oma! Really the only way to lose weight is to cut out carbs. After a couple of weeks you don't even miss them and your appetite suppresses naturally.

I have a book recommendation for you: Why we get fat by Gary Taubes

I am reading it now and it is very enlightening. Your local library should have it.

This is so untrue it's sad.

Your body needs a healthy balance of carbs, protein, and fat (the good types!).

What it doesn't need is carbs derives from processed foods like breads, cakes, cookies, most cereals, chips, etc. It does needs the carbs that come from whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

Eating a no carb diet is not sustainable long term. Learning good eating habits and a balanced diet is. Also the only way to lose weight and keep it off is through clean eating and a calorie deficit, increasing calories to match you BMR plus exercise calories burned once you've arrived at your weight goal.

One other thing, forget the scale. Forget BMI. The ONLY number that matters is your body fat percentage. Get that to a healthy number and then maintain it. The only way to get it to a healthy number is by losing non-essential fat and building muscle. The only way to build muscle is through exercise. Diet and exercise are not exclusive, they both play an active role in achieving both a healthy weight and overall fitness.

This is so untrue it's sad.

Your body needs a healthy balance of carbs, protein, and fat (the good types!).

What it doesn't need is carbs derives from processed foods like breads, cakes, cookies, most cereals, chips, etc. It does needs the carbs that come from whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.

Eating a no carb diet is not sustainable long term. Learning good eating habits and a balanced diet is. Also the only way to lose weight and keep it off is through clean eating and a calorie deficit, increasing calories to match you BMR plus exercise calories burned once you've arrived at your weight goal.

One other thing, forget the scale. Forget BMI. The ONLY number that matters is your body fat percentage. Get that to a healthy number and then maintain it. The only way to get it to a healthy number is by losing non-essential fat and building muscle. The only way to build muscle is through exercise. Diet and exercise are not exclusive, they both play an active role in achieving both a healthy weight and overall fitness.

Thanks Ducklite - I couldn't agree more. I've tried those Atkins and south beach diets and I know they don't work. It's not realistic to think you can cut carbs from your diet. Portion control and balance is the key.

I have been using fitbit to keep track of my calories in versus out and shooting for a thousand calorie deficit every day.

Thanks Ducklite - I couldn't agree more. I've tried those Atkins and south beach diets and I know they don't work. It's not realistic to think you can cut carbs from your diet. Portion control and balance is the key.

I have been using fitbit to keep track of my calories in versus out and shooting for a thousand calorie deficit every day.

I strongly urge you to rethink that number. 1000 calorie deficit is too low and will send your body into starvation mode. A 500 NET daily calorie deficit is a safe and effective way to lose weight.

I started my process at the beginning of May, by cutting my daily calories by up to 1000 a day. I can't say exactly what the numbers were, because prior to starting, my intake varied a lot from one day to another. Looking at how I used to eat, which was a mix of healthy & unhealthy foods, with too much quantity being my main problem; I would average that I ate around 2500 a day in a week.

Starting in may, for the first 2 months I only ate 1500 calories a day, and lost 25lbs without any exercise. Then life got in the way, and my calorie intake went up on more days than I would have liked, and I hit the wall where my weight had stabilized, not going up or down. I started jogging again, and this week have dropped another 5 lbs. I am back on track and after my best run yet yesterday, I feel like I am now fully on the right path to success...only 50 more pounds to go!

I started my process at the beginning of May, by cutting my daily calories by up to 1000 a day. I can't say exactly what the numbers were, because prior to starting, my intake varied a lot from one day to another. Looking at how I used to eat, which was a mix of healthy & unhealthy foods, with too much quantity being my main problem; I would average that I ate around 2500 a day in a week.

Starting in may, for the first 2 months I only ate 1500 calories a day, and lost 25lbs without any exercise. Then life got in the way, and my calorie intake went up on more days than I would have liked, and I hit the wall where my weight had stabilized, not going up or down. I started jogging again, and this week have dropped another 5 lbs. I am back on track and after my best run yet yesterday, I feel like I am now fully on the right path to success...only 50 more pounds to go!

Great job! Do you use My Fitness Pal? It will really keep you in the straight and narrow!

Great job! Do you use My Fitness Pal? It will really keep you in the straight and narrow!

No, but I do have the app. At one point I was keeping a log on another app, but didn't keep up with it.

It has been easy to maintain the low calorie diet, because I have been basically eating the same type of meals every day....boring but efficient. The cravings have been crazy, but I am quite proud of myself for not giving in...except for a little here n there :)

DH and I are going on our first cruise in December 2014. My goal is to lose about 30lbs before the cruise. To be healthier and enjoy the excursions. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Right now, I'm 220 and 5'4". I eat semi healthy, and do get excercise occasionally. My DH keeps telling me I don't need to diet. ( I don't like that word.) I'm just needing some support and ideas to help lose a little anyway. Thanks Bunches!!

Welcome aboard Jadolphsen! There seems to be a lot of good information passed around on this thread. I like it.

Enough of you have mentioned MyFitnessPal, that I think I may look into it.

I've made some progress with my food but still have a long way to go. Exercise, we take a walk every evening as a family. Its something but its not enough. I have considered doing the treadmill in addition, but can't seem to get motivated to do that yet.

Cruising three months from today!

I also recommend spark people. They have an app for your smart phone or iPad so you can look up food before you eat at restaurants so you make smart choices! Plus it works seamlessly with fitbit if you want to start tracking your physical activity.

Depending on how much motivation you need and how much you like talking in forums, there is all kinds of motivation available to you on Sparkpeople.com.

They also have recipes and I love that they have a recipe calculator! Actually figure out the nutritional value for those home made recipes.

Another good app is Map My walk (or Map My Run if you're a runner). My advice is to load up your iPod with some really fast paced music--think "Maniac from Flashdance, "Gonna Make You Sweat" by C&C Music Factory, "Lady Madonna" by the Beatles, "Pressure" by Billy Joel and whatever other songs you like that have a really fast tempo and keep pace with them. Start with one mile and work your way up to five a day. It's the fastest way I know to shred off the weight.

I get up at 5:00 am and get my exercise in before work, because other than yoga class I don't have the energy or motivation to work out when I get home.

One other thing you might want to consider is a few sessions with a private trainer. Have them help you develop a 30 minute routine you can do 3-4 days a week in your home with nothing but a mat, exercise ball, bands, and a couple of 10 pound dumbbells. Cardio will help shed pounds, but then you just look "skinny fat." You need to also build lean muscle to look really fit and toned. Even though you won't sweat like you will doing cardio work, your muscles are working just as hard and burning calories.

• 2 weeks later...
Whole 30/ "It Starts with Food"

also read Gary Taubes: "Why We Get Fat, and What To Do About It"-

If you want to look like a woman, don't eat like a man...portion size.

Everthing we do is a choice; learn to make good ones.

Good luck, homework time. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I want to thank you very much, I download Why We Get Fat and have lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. I will now get the other What To Do About It.

For the last 2 weeks I have not felt hungry or unsatisfied.

Thank you, thank you, thank you:):):):)

Two pounds is better than no pounds. Which is where I'm still sitting. I also have a goal of about 35lbs. So far little to no progress though. I was doing well, but went overboard eating a last weekend.

Best of luck everyone!

Love your picture, I'm from Pittsburgh, and I love the Penguins and the Steelers.

Best of luck to you also Mike.

Lisa

Archived