upsell

cinycat

Have just been approached by my TA for an "upsell" for an upcoming Alaska cruise. $300 per passenger is being suggested to upgrade from Ocean View to Concierge A. Do people think this is worth it? Or should I just wait and see what happens?

Just as a point of reference, on our last Rivera trip we paid 200$ pp to go from a ocean view to the Concierge A the last week and on the last day 200$ Pp more to go to a penthouse. I took the Concierge however before all this I was offered to go to a plane veranda for 100pp. Should of taken that as the concierge perks did not seem to amount to much I used.

You may have just answered your own question. If you've been in concierge before and didn't use the amenities / services, then you are essentially paying $300 pp to gain a veranda. Is that worth it to you? When does the cruise depart? Will you benefit from having 15 additional advance days within which to make dining reservations? Could your TA contact O to try to arrange an upsell to veranda or penthouse or does it not work that way? (Admittedly, I have had no experience with upsell offers ~ wish I had) Just some thoughts to ponder.

Harriet

Wound up taking the upsell. I thought that a verandah on an Alaska cruise might be a good idea. Besides, my grandson (who is accompanying me) said he wanted me to upgrade. So it's done. Thanks for all the good advice.

Just a word from experience in sailing to Alaska.

The concept of seeing Alaska from your veranda is very appealing but is it the best? In a veranda your scope of vision is scarcely 90 degrees, where as on deck it is 360 degrees. Seeing the big picture gives one such a larger feel and appreciation I have found. In Alaska, as in the Antarctic and Fjords, one needs to be out of their cabin as much as possible. I say this as a professional naturalist and the feed back I get from others as well as my personal experiences. You will get a nice view but it will be seldom a great view...the view you wanted to experience.

Also, on many cruises there will be naturalists or NPS rangers on deck giving personal talks and showing you things that you would never notice in the confines of a veranda. Its just not physically possible to see better from a veranda unless your on the bridge of the ship, which is highly un-likely.

Too, Alaska experiences more than its share of rain and it can make a veranda rather unpleasant.

While is sounds crazy, I have found the people with inside cabins seem to get the most of their cruise because it gets them out and about to experience the drama they are sailing through...

:cool:

Hi: We had an Alaska sailing 2 years ago. When we saw the Hubbard Glacier from our veranda, it was totally gorgeous. We got very close and could see the ice calving and the blue ice in the water. We only had one rain day. We did go up on deck, but loved having the balcony. Depends on "mother nature" have fun

Just a word from experience in sailing to Alaska.

The concept of seeing Alaska from your veranda is very appealing but is it the best?

While is sounds crazy, I have found the people with inside cabins seem to get the most of their cruise because it gets them out and about to experience the drama they are sailing through...

:cool:

I usually get an inside cabin, and yes, I'm always up top, hanging out where I can see what's going on port side and starboard side. The veranda is nice, and we got a wonderful upsell last year in the Baltic, but I have to admit that I didn't use that veranda all that much. However, it's obviously important to a lot of people, as few people book inside cabins!

Archived