Connection Times for Overseas Flights

Packing Light

My wife and I are booked on a Mediterranean Cruise for next spring leaving out of Barcelona. I notice I can get fairly good airline rates and flights from Chicago O'Hare to Barcelona on a number of airlines however, almost all of them have a 1 1/2 hour connection time in the stopover city each way. This is especially the case on the return where we will need to wait until around 1:00 p.m. to catch the flight on the day the ship docks. Is this enough time with changing planes and clearing customs, etc.?? Also any suggestions on what I should expect to spend on the airfare and where to get the best rates? Any other hints would be appreciated as well. I plan on getting my airline tickets within the next week or so. Thanks.

I have some good recommendations. Do your self a favor and fly pre and post cruise by at least one day. You don't need to stress if something should go wrong. Besides that Barcelona has some great beaches. Book your tickets in the Fall. Search flights using "Sidestep". Prices should run $650 to $850 depending on the Airlines. Avoid flying on 767's go for 777's 747's or AirBus 330's and 340's. Watch for these transfers:

London to Barcelona...OK you will need 1:45 to 2:00 hours to change

flights.

Frankfurt to Barcelona...No Problem...you will need 1:30 to 1:45 to change

flights.

Paris to Barcelona...Could be a problem... can be done with 1:00 to 1:45

to change flights. Airport has no Airconditioning (the wife hated this one)

Do your homework early and things will really work out. Tim

If connecting through Heathrow allow a few hours to change terminals, go through security, and make the flight. There is a lot of walking to get from one place to the other. It take 1/2 hr just to get from the plane to the main area then you have to figure out where to go.

I would allow at least 2 -3 hrs it goes by fast when you are hiking through LHR!;)

We flew from Barcelona in 2003 to Boston RT. We purchased RCI air since it was a special--$299 RT from Boston. The flight over the pond was wonderful. The return flight was not. In both cases, we had stop over in Paris (CDG) which according to the schedule would be 1.5 hours; we flew Air France/Delta. Bottom line, the planes were late all morning on the return flights! We arrived at the Barcelona airport at @ 10:30 am and watched the 9:45 am flight take off at @ 11:00. Our flight, obstensibly at 12:00, took off at 2:00. We had NO time at CDG. Someone from Delta was there when we got off, hurrying approximately 40 folks who were already late for the connection to the plane. And the security at CDG, while not as many machine guns as Milan or Egypt, was horrible. Why must ANY airline check a carry-on 3 times at three different points? Anyway, we made it home, late but on the scheduled planes. I would guess that a trip to Illinois would require a stop through NYC or perhaps ORD (Chicago). I don't think you will have a problem on the way over, but MIGHT encounter one on the return.

If I had it to do all over again, I would NOT change planes in Paris (CDG) Although hubby got to say hello and get an autograph from Beyonce, it is the most disorganized airport, IMHO, in Europe. London is easier...and Milan is a piece of cake. Whatever you do, have a great trip!

The mention of 2 or more hours at Heathow is probably correct. One thing nice is the use of the Heathow Express between the Terminals. Also note that when you fly from London down to Central Europe the gates at Heathow are not posted for 30 to 40 minutes before the flight. This drives Americans nuts. I'm sure this is done for security reasons.

If you should get one of those bargin flights and and have to do a transfer at CDG remember to hang out and around the Sheraton. If you have a delay this area (Sheraton) is nice and I noticed the temperature was more confortable. Another thing I noticed was if you can get a cheap flight into CDG the TVA connects there at terminal 2C,D and 2E,F. TVA if I have that spelled right is the high speed train system that goes to the more distance cities like Nice and Zurich. With time on your hands riding the trains can be a great experience.

Also the reason for the 1 to 2 day Precruise venture is to allow suit cases to catch up to your location should you make it to port without your luggage. This happens more than you would think. Three weeks ago once we arrived at Munich we only got two of our five suit cases. They arrived later that night and were delivered to our hotel. Happy Cruising. Tim

If I had it to do all over again, I would NOT change planes in Paris (CDG)

Let me add a different spin to this. Normally, one tries to minimize the time needed to transfer between flights. However, during the last time I went to Barcelona, I had a 5 hour transfer at Paris in order to get the fare that I wanted. I used this time to take the train from CDG to downtown Paris and do a little sightseeing. Thus, for the small additional train ride I had the opportunity to visit Paris and did not worry much about the "extended" transfer.

Didn't you have to go through immigration? Where was your luggage? :confused:

This is a trip from Boston to Barcelona with a transfer in Paris. My luggage was checked through to the final destination (Barcelona) and so I did not need to deal with it in Paris. While I did need to go through immigration in Paris, it was fairly routine and not very onerous.

I allowed 90 mins on the last flight I took, unfortunately fy fist leg plane left 2 hours LATE, so I was still in the air on my way to Atlanta when I should have been taking off from Atlanta to London.

In future I will allow 3 hours at least to get from Domestic terminals to International terminals no matter which airport is being used.

Bestfares.com is having their London stopover included in the airfare to Barcelona (and other cities) right now. That's the fare I got for our trip to the Med this October. I booked in February when they ran this offer before: $801 roundtrip LAX - BCN, with two nights in London included.

It's with British Airways, goes to Heathrow, and includes the nights in a hotel in London. Good pre-cruise stopover.

Archived