Need advice regarding Venice plans

SeaGal

I plan to visit St Mark’s Basilica and Museum and Doge’s Palace in Venice. The ship is docked from 2pm Monday until 2pm Tuesday. I am trying to decide the best time to go (first day in the afternoon or the morning of the second day) and the best way to avoid the lines. We will be there in July, which I know will be very crowded.

When to go:

I have read “go early to beat the crowds” and “go later in the afternoon after the day-trippers are gone.” Which is best? What have you experienced?

How to avoid lines:

I had planned on purchasing tickets to Doges Palace online in advance, but then read that you can go to Correr Museum (where there will be a much shorter line) to purchase the tickets.

At St Mark’s, I know I can purchase an advance ticket online to bypass the line, but have read that I could also take my bag to the bag check and skip the line that way.

I am hesitant to purchase advance tickets and loose the flexibility of going either day, but if it really is the best way to avoid wasting our precious time in Venice in long lines, I can give up some spontaneity.

Suggestions?

plan to visit St Mark’s Basilica and Museum and Doge’s Palace in Venice. The ship is docked from 2pm Monday until 2pm Tuesday. I am trying to decide the best time to go (first day in the afternoon or the morning of the second day) and the best way to avoid the lines. We will be there in July, which I know will be very crowded. I have read “go early to beat the crowds” and “go later in the afternoon after the day-trippers are gone.” Which is best? What have you experienced? I had planned on purchasing tickets to Doges Palace online in advance, but then read that you can go to Correr Museum (where there will be a much shorter line) to purchase the tickets. At St Mark’s, I know I can purchase an advance ticket online to bypass the line, but have read that I could also take my bag to the bag check and skip the line that way. I am hesitant to purchase advance tickets and loose the flexibility of going either day, but if it really is the best way to avoid wasting our precious time in Venice in long lines, I can give up some spontaneity. Suggestions?

Lots of ideas and suggestions for Venice with your over-night schedule there as we had in June 2011 on the sister ship of the Celebrity liner you will be on. Doing the sail-in and sail-outs in that harbor are super awesome. Spending time there in the evening is a wonderful must-do. Yes, get your ticket and timing for the Doges Palace, maybe that Monday afternoon around 3:30 pm, if possible. You could do the St. Mark's early on Tuesday am. There are private guides who can take you in, go up to the second floor where you get great views, etc. Also consider taking the tower elevator (across from St. Mark's) up for great views over this city.

See more on my Venice summary/link below, plus on my live/blog that reflects many of the ports you will be visiting during your cruise.

Added questions, comments, needs??

Since Venice is one of your key stops, you might look at this below earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around", personally sampling the great history and architecture. This posting has now had over 21,510 views and I appreciate those who have dropped by and tuned in. Don’t be shy in sharing any questions or comments.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,582 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

With our ship’s overnight schedule, having an overnight there allows time to sample the evening orchestras on San Marco Square playing to the crowds. Great fun at night in a wonderful setting.:

VeniceSanMarcoNightBand.jpg

At night in Venice it is a totally different and more magical city. Here were are ready to enter San Marco Piazza at sunset. You see the Campanile tower, St. Mark’s Cathedral and people. The bands on this square are playing. So wonderful and charming!:

VeniceSanMarcoSqNight.jpg

From the interior of Venice’s St Mark’s on the second/upper level, here is a view that shows how much on this church is covered in these opulent, gilded Byzantine mosaics. Notice the details in the floor of this famed Basilica. Don't missing going up to this higher level to see much more up there. We hooked with a private guide who took us up here and avoided the wasted time waiting in the longer lines.:

VeniceStMarksInteriorDetails.jpg

In Venice, here is a view the roof of St. Mark’s from the Campanile Tower. This 323’ high tower offer lots of great views in all directions. The tower is topped by a pyramidal spire with a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in 1912 after the collapse of 1902. The tower was originally used as a watch tower for the dock. It is now one of Venice’s most famous symbols. The original Campanile inspired the designs of other towers worldwide.. Next is a tight shot on some of the spectacular art on the front of St. Marks and a unique framing of the Tower from an arch of the Doge’s Palace.:

VeniceStMarksRoomFromTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksTightArt.jpg

VeniceTowerArchFraming.jpg

Terry, I hate to hijack this thread, but I am very interested in getting your opinion on our British isle cruise. I have followed lots of your advice (and amazing pictures) over the years and would love to get some more out of you. Can you contact me at kevpatti at comcast.net? I would love to get some follow up from some of the posts you have done in the France section. Specifically about Paris. We will be on the Celebrity Infinity in Sept/Oct and will overnight in Paris. Our plans are to get a hotel room and stay for the 2 days. Most likely we will stay in 5/6 arr. Planning on the hop on/hop off first day and walking to the closer sights the second day? Your thoughts please :)

Patti

The bag check trick works great for the basilica. Go to the left of the entrance and on the little side street you will find the bag check place. They will give you a 'ticket' which lets you jump the line.

Getting tickets for the Doge's Palace at the Corer Museum works well too. We also used the washroom there.

Terry, I hate to hijack this thread, but I am very interested in getting your opinion on our British isle cruise. I have followed lots of your advice (and amazing pictures) over the years and would love to get some more out of you. Can you contact me at kevpatti at comcast.net? I would love to get some follow up from some of the posts you have done in the France section. Specifically about Paris. We will be on the Celebrity Infinity in Sept/Oct and will overnight in Paris. Our plans are to get a hotel room and stay for the 2 days. Most likely we will stay in 5/6 arr. Planning on the hop on/hop off first day and walking to the closer sights the second day? Your thoughts please :)

Patti

Hi, Patti! Just sent you an e-mail. Got your quick reply back. Glad you've got great Ohio connections. Will call shortly. Great options for this Infinity cruise with stops in Paris (Le Havre), Bordeaux(La Rochelle), Bilbao/Spain, Vigo/Spain and Porto (Leixoes)/Portugal.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,651 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

If I only had 24 hours in Venice, I would be content with just seeing the exteriors of St. Mark's and the Doge's Palace. I would spend most of my time wandering around and soaking up the ambiance and uniqueness of Venice. I would also take several vaporetto rides through the Grand Canal.

I could perhaps skip the Doges Palace (although it certainly gives a powerful impression of the wealth of Venice and her strategic importance in eras past) but I could never skip St. Marks. It's worth visiting and I would also recommend going upstairs and paying a little extra to see the balcony with the (fake) horses, the museum with the real horses and to see the mosaics up close.

Like Haghia Sophia in Istanbul and the Pantheon in Rome, it seems to distill so much of Venice in a single building -- power, mystery, history, religion, architecture, art, etc. I wouldn't miss it.

I could perhaps skip the Doges Palace (although it certainly gives a powerful impression of the wealth of Venice and her strategic importance in eras past) but I could never skip St. Marks. It's worth visiting and I would also recommend going upstairs and paying a little extra to see the balcony with the (fake) horses, the museum with the real horses and to see the mosaics up close. Like Haghia Sophia in Istanbul and the Pantheon in Rome, it seems to distill so much of Venice in a single building -- power, mystery, history, religion, architecture, art, etc. I wouldn't miss it.

Great, great summary by Cynthia!! Can't miss the interior of St. Mark's. Doing the second floor gives many extras, plus great views down to the main floor as shown in the earlier visual I posted. Plus, some more as added "evidence" for why St. Mark's and its historic interior is a can't miss requirement.

Lots of things in and around St. Mark's Basilica were "stolen" or "liberated" as they might like to say or spin it. These "gatherings up" started when Venetian merchants stole the supposed relics or remains of Mark the Evangelist from Alexandria. Its decorations have changed and improved significantly over time. After the Basilica was consecrated in 1094, the changes in succeeding centuries, especially the fourteenth, all contributed to its style and unique exterior decorations. Seldom did a Venetian ship return from the Orient without bringing a column, capitals or friezes, taken from some ancient building, to add to the fabric of the basilica. Many of these items came from Istanbul.

These four horses of St. Mark's were installed on the Basilica around 1254. They date to "Classical Antiquity" as they once adorned the Arch of Trajan. The horses were long displayed at the Hippodrome of Constantinople and in 1204 the Doge sent them back to Venice as part of the loot taken from Constantinople in the Fourth Crusade. They were also taken to Paris by Napoleon in 1797 but returned to Venice in 1815. After a long restoration, they have been kept in St. Mark’s Museum (inside the Basilica on the second floor). The four horses currently on the facade of the cathedral are bronze replicas.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 131,651 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From St. Mark’s, here is a view of horse on the front, outside with the 500-year-old clock tower in the background. Next is the interior showing the domed ceiling art and finally the original, gold-covered horses that are now protected inside.:

VeniceHorsesClockTower.jpg

VeniceStMarksCeilingTops.jpg

VeniceHorseInsideFaces.jpg

St. Mark’s is still an active church in Venice. Here is a priest preparing to serve members in one of the side chapels in this large cathedral in Venice.:

VeniceStMarksPriestSideChapel.jpg

Early in the morning from the open area on the second level of St. Mark’s, here is a view towards the Doge’s Palace and the docking area. Great views from this second-level area of St. Mark's:

VeniceDoge2DockArea.jpg

Thank you all for the information. I love this board! Such valuable advice.

Terry, your photographs are amazing and your blogs are very helpful. Reading them make me all the more excited for our trip, if that is possible :)

• 1 month later...
The bag check trick works great for the basilica. Go to the left of the entrance and on the little side street you will find the bag check place. They will give you a 'ticket' which lets you jump the line.

Getting tickets for the Doge's Palace at the Corer Museum works well too. We also used the washroom there.

Has anybody any experience of prebooking tickets for St Marks basilica with ALATA?

Can you tell me if you prebook do you just print off confirmation and take this with you.

Also, is this necessary with the checking of bags?

I'm not sure whether I need to prebook the ticket, or just go to the bag check in. I will only have my handbag, but I presume I won't be allowed to take this in, is this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our tickets for Doge's at Correer Museum and didn't wait at all. St. Marks was very busy mid-day so I think it's best to go early and get the good light for photos!

I have some pictures on my travel blog if you want to check them out. The sail out of Venice is amazing!

http://perstef.blogspot.com/2013/07/venice-italy.html

Enjoy your trip!

Whatever you end up doing, be sure to allow about an hour to get from the cruise port to San Marco Square (and maybe more for the return trip) if you use the vaporetto and people mover. That was our experience earlier this month.

The Doge's Palace is amazing and interesting, but so are the other places. We did the Secret Itineraries tour and stayed in to do the Palace tour on our own afterwards. We had some time to wander the streets a bit and walked from San Marco Sq back to Rialto but wished we'd had more time. We spent our first afternoon on a ship-sponsored tour to Murano and Burano which we enjoyed but in hindsight I feel like we wasted our afternoon that we could have spent in Venice proper. Of course I think I feel more that way now than at the time because I'm reading through Dan Brown's Inferno which is describing places in Venice that we saw the exterior of but now I'm seeing interior photos from other cruise critic members (beautiful photos, BTW!).

Archived