Cabin Category - trying to equate to Celebrity

lovestx

We are relative newbies when it comes to cruising. Only two cruises have been with Celebrity (Equinox and Constellation) and now we are considering a 2014 Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam. But there are so many different subcategories of cabins on NA that I am having a hard time trying to select a cabin that is similar to the level that we are used to on Celebrity.

We have been in Aqua and Concierge cabins on Celebrity (book two as we have teens travelling with us). We really loved Aqua because of access to Blu but know that we don't have a similar option on HAL.

The Aqua and Concierge cabins on Celebrity are 194 square feet inside plus a balcony with two chairs. Am I assuming correctly that the Verandah class (VA through VF) would be similarly sized on the NA? And are the different levels within the Verandah class simply different prices due to their location on the ship? And do all Verandah balconies have two chairs (seems like maybe they do not)?

I have tried to find this information by searching but simply cannot so I thank you in advance for any help you might give!

Am I assuming correctly that the Verandah class (VA through VF) would be similarly sized on the NA? And are the different levels within the Verandah class simply different prices due to their location on the ship? And do all Verandah balconies have two chairs (seems like maybe they do not)?
The main differences between veranda cabins (VQ to VH on the NA) are the location and balcony size. The largest balconies are the VD (7.5 ft deep) followed by the "plain V" on deck 8 at 7 feet. The VQ and deck 5 VE and VF are smallest at 4 feet. The VA/VB/VC are 6 ft deep. The deck 4 VF are also 7.5 ft deep but have the disadvantage of not having a plexiglas railing - just steel which you can't see through when seated. All have two chairs, a footstool, and a 1 foot diameter table.

Personally I think the deck 8 V are the best on the ship, in part because of the large overhang of the Lido deck which gives extra shade.

I've never been on Celebrity and can't compare cabins there.

The main differences between veranda cabins (VQ to VH on the NA) are the location and balcony size. The largest balconies are the VD (7.5 ft deep) followed by the "plain V" on deck 8 at 7 feet. The VQ and deck 5 VE and VF are smallest at 4 feet. The VA/VB/VC are 6 ft deep. The deck 4 VF are also 7.5 ft deep but have the disadvantage of not having a plexiglas railing - just steel which you can't see through when seated. All have two chairs, a footstool, and a 1 foot diameter table.

Personally I think the deck 8 V are the best on the ship, in part because of the large overhang of the Lido deck which gives extra shade.

I've never been on Celebrity and can't compare cabins there.

Thanks for the great detailed info. I have just checked the deck plan for the Nieuw Amsterdam and don't see "Plain V" cabins on Deck 8.

Also, there seem to be VD cabins right next to VE cabins which would suggest (at least from the Deck Plan) that the VE balconies are the same depth as VD.

We cruise HAL and X. We have booked QC and CC cabins on X primarily, although we have just booked a 1B on our next Silhouette because the cabins are basically the same. We did not feel BLU was worth the extra costs.

Ref to HAL we are booked on the Nieum Amsterdam for the TA next year, we booked a VB cabin. We select cabins based on the location we like the most on the ship, cabins are basically the same in each category.

The main difference between X and HAL, is HAL is a more traditional cruise line.

Thanks for the great detailed info. I have just checked the deck plan for the Nieuw Amsterdam and don't see "Plain V" cabins on Deck 8.

Also, there seem to be VD cabins right next to VE cabins which would suggest (at least from the Deck Plan) that the VE balconies are the same depth as VD.

You must be looking at post 4/6/14 deck plans, when things get all shaken up. Until then, cabins 8025 to 8119 are designated simply as V - no suffix letter. Also until then there are no "VE next to VD". All of the VD cabins are on deck 4 (4043 to 4052 and 4131 to 4179), and all of the VE are on deck 5: 5069 to 5126. To use the balcony size info I've given, use the current deck plans:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/main/DeckPlansFull.action?ship=na&deck=m

After Apr of next year there will be no "easy" way to describe differences between veranda cabins. All HAL ships will be getting this "re-designation" of cabins ... many of which make no sense to me!

You must be looking at post-May 2014 deck plans, when things get all shaken up. Until then, cabins 8025 to 8119 are designated simply as V - no suffix letter. Also until then there are no "VE next to VD". All of the VD cabins are on deck 4 (4043 to 4052 and 4131 to 4179), and all of the VE are on deck 5: 5069 to 5126. To use the balcony size info I've given, use the current deck plans.

After May of next year there will be no "easy" way to describe differences between veranda cabins. All HAL ships will be getting this "re-designation" of cabins ... many of which make no sense to me!

You are right, cat, I am looking at a June 2014 cruise and so the deck plans are different (or I should say the cabin numbering is different). I will look at 2013 plans to compare and to take advantage of your great info. I know we don't want to be below the Lido deck for fear of noise.

Pris, thanks for offering some comparisons to X. We tend to be a more traditional family (like upscale feeling and don't need constant activity). We loved the Equinox but it was our first cruise ship so I know it will be hard to beat. Things we like a lot on Celebrity: upscale feel (though it's a bit more contemporary on Equinox than we usually like), Martini Bar, Blu (didn't really like how loud the MDR was on Connie), Cafe al Bacio, nice pool chairs on Equinox. Hoping that NA has much of that feel.

Both lines are very similar to us with each having some things we like better.

On Celebrity, there are not as many categories. For example, all main deck porthole cabins are one category. The rest of that deck's oceanviews are another. The next deck up has oceanviews in another category. On HAL the main deck oceanviews might be 5 categories depending on front, back, or midship. All are same size and same except for some will not have tub but just shower.

We love both lines.

I know we don't want to be below the Lido deck for fear of noise.
We were in 8057 on the Nieuw A and the only significant noise we had was on the night of the dessert extravaganza, for about 90 minutes. However, we were under a cabana, not under the tables on the port side. Any deck 8 cabins aft of the midship elevators are under a carpeted area, and will not be noisy. As catl331 (my DW) said, we think the deck 8 center-section verandas are the best on the ship.

BTW in case you're wondering why VQs are at the top of the price range despite having just 4 foot deep balconies, it is because they are "spa" cabins which add some amenities that are of no value to us:

Spa Suites & Staterooms

Opt for the serenity of a Spa Suite or Stateroom, featuring modern spa amenities such as yoga mats, an iPod® docking station, and a countertop water feature in-room. Also conveniently located near the Greenhouse Spa and Salon, where you may easily book spa treatments and salon services.

Archived