Lulu's Lobster boat in Bar Harbor?

kathy6890

I'm looking for some opinions on whether to book the LuLu Lobster boat excursion in Bar Harbor through HAL for an August cruise. If I book through the cruise line it is almost double the price then if I book directly through LuLu Lobster boat. It appears to be the same sailing time, and the pier is walking distance from where the ship is tendered.

Has anyone done this boat trip- I've got a 9 y.o. and a 14 y.o. I'd like to get up to Acadia too. THanks for any insight.

K

We were supposed to do this tour with the ship on May 24th but we couldn't tender because it was too rough. There was another couple on the ship that had booked it independently at half the cost. I never saw them afterwards to find out if they were refunded their money or not. Ask LuLu's if they still charge you if the ship doesn't make it in. I know that it is easy to get to on your own so if in the event that you can't get there and you don't loose any money, I would think independently is the way to go. I will tell you that this was the only one of two excursions that was completely booked on our entire cruise so I would advise you to book ahead in either case. It gets great reviews, have fun! Oh, if you book with the ship you can get your tender much easier but I don't know if that is an issue or not since none of us got off the ship. Sandy

Thank you Sandy! What time of year did you go when it was too rough to tender? We'll be there in August and it hadn't even occurred to me that this could be an issue. We may plan on going up to Acadia nat'l park instead anyway- I don't want to miss that and I can take my kids to see lobsters and seals more easily then I can get to Acadia:-)

It was a couple of weeks ago on the Maasdam. It never occurred to me that it happens either but of the two cruises we have taken we missed a port on each, one in Alaska and the one in Bar Harbor. People really were saying good things at LuLu's though and if you call and tell them you are on the cruise ship they may credit you if the port is missed. Also, look at the cruise excursions as you might be able to fit both Arcadia and the lobster boat in. They seemed to offer a lot of quick tours. Bar Harbor is really nice. I could drive to it so it wasn't a huge deal for us but I felt bad for the people that missed the opportunity.

I'm looking for some opinions on whether to book the LuLu Lobster boat excursion in Bar Harbor through HAL for an August cruise. If I book through the cruise line it is almost double the price then if I book directly through LuLu Lobster boat. It appears to be the same sailing time, and the pier is walking distance from where the ship is tendered.

Has anyone done this boat trip- I've got a 9 y.o. and a 14 y.o. I'd like to get up to Acadia too. THanks for any insight.

K

I've done the Lulu Lobster Boat tour independently and found it to be a very informative experience. I would think that your children would enjoy it.

I would try to do a tour of Acadia National Park independently. There are 2 good independent tour companies available.

If you can't fit in each tour, I would go with the tour of ANP, JMHO.

SBtS

Do you think it is necessary to reserve Lulu's ahead of time, or can we just walk off the ship? Am thinking that we might not be able to tender in, or the weather might be too dreadful to want to go.

Thank you for advice

Libby

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'm not too late, but I live in Maine--near Bar Harbor and used to work there. John, the owner and Captain of Lulu's is a friend--but I would give him rave reviews even if that wasn't the case. Honestly, he became a friend because of the great trips and service he provided to my guests when we would send them to him for trips. He will be great for all ages and is very engaging.

As for walking from the tender point, it's absolutely no problem. You can almost see his launch point from the pier. My 91 year old Grandmother could make the walk and she's had two knee replacements! It's that close.

I hope this helps--and I hope you have a fantastic time in our region! It's a beautiful place to visit and a wonderful place to live. August is a great time of year to be here, too. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread to read because when I contacted Lulu's some time ago about taking the tour when we were in Bar Harbor they would not book us independently. I felt very disappointed that we would have to pay double to the cruise line but my grandchildren really wanted to go so....

This is an interesting thread to read because when I contacted Lulu's some time ago about taking the tour when we were in Bar Harbor they would not book us independently. I felt very disappointed that we would have to pay double to the cruise line but my grandchildren really wanted to go so....

How did they know you were on the cruise?

• 2 weeks later...

If Lu Lu won't book you because you are off the cruise ship, then a solid alternative is the lobster boat tour from BAR HARBOR WHALE WATCH CO. They leave from the same dock as the tenders arrive from and my daughter and I really enjoyed the tour. I can't compare it directly with the LuLu tour but they sound very comparable. I avoided booking with LuLu because I figured they'd have less availability having the contract with the cruise ship.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be cruising to Bar Harbor in October....I want to see Cadillac mtn and thought the lobster boat would interest my DH... Royal Caribbean has a combo with Cadillac man and Lulu's. I was going to do two separate excursions but then saw the combo. Your reviews also helped too. So unless there's a reason not to I think this is the excursion for us...

Thanks!

An alternative to Lulu's? Is anyone familiar with Acadian sightseeing and Nature cruise? It doesn't leave from the same dock, it's approximately 1 1/2 miles down, but they said you can take a taxi for approximately $5. Just wondering if someone has done this.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't done this tour but I'm going to do it in October. I reserved a place by calling and they provide transport to and from the boat tour. You meet in the sea-dawg gift shop at 47 west street, which is not far from where the tender's get in.

You booked with Acadian sightseeing and they are meeting you in town? Awesome..... I called them and they said I needed to take a taxi to and from their dock. I may give them another call and double check. We leave out Sat. I called them about a month ago, so maybe with more cruise ships in port over the next month this is something they are doing.

I will post my experience with them when we return.

Just heard from Acadian and we will be picked up at sea dawg. I am so thankful you posted about that :D

I just emailed Acadian...asking if the pick up where we get the reserved tickets....(October)...waiting to hear...before I order tickets..

ssbeard, hope you have a great time and I'll look forward to hearing all about it.:)

jaja, we are also booked for October, the 9th and I was given the information about the van when I booked over the phone.

thanks!!!! I never heard from them...so will call...!

Archived