Turkey - Travel Caution is needed

PaulMCO

We just returned from a cruise and an extended 5 days in Istanbul. There were a couple of protests in our area--Beshiktas--and there were riot police out. Nothing that alarmed me, and the Turkish residents went about their business.

This is VERY similar to the Occupy Wall Street movement we had here in the USA.

The Turkish people are wonderful. They are driven, ambitious, hardworking and progressive. They are an educated populace and they do not like the recent decisions Prime Minister Erdogan has made, they feel he is going backwards. Alcohol taxes have been raised a great deal to deter drinking, and although most Turks choose not to drink alcohol, they don't want to be treated like children and told what they can and cannot do. The beautiful green park north of Taksim is in danger of being made into another shopping mall, at the hands of Erdogan.

When first elected Prime Minister Erdogan was highly regarded. However, he is not following the desires of the mainstream Turkish populace and is instead pursuing his own personal agenda. They say he talks out of both sides of his mouth. The folks in Turkey are unhappy with this.

I've also seen protests in London, France, Honduras (I was there when the cowboy president went bonkers) and a march of 50,000 indigenous men who walked naked through the streets of Mexico City. Life goes on and I think the Turkish people will rebound admirably.

ISTANBUL Published: June 11, 2013

— A large force of riot police officers entered Taksim Square early Tuesday, almost immediately firing tear gas grenades and using water cannons to disperse demonstrators who have been occupying the square for more than a week.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/12/world/europe/disputed-square-in-istanbul-turkey.html?partner=MYWAY&ei=5065&_r=0

Dont think I would want to get on or off a cruise there if this unrest is still active at the time. I still think the cruise lines may be having cancellations and are scrambling to fill those itineraries with significant upgrades to the cruises beginning or ending or calling on Instanbul.

Funny thing about this is most print and even online versions of newspapers (USA Today and NY Times) tend to report old news if they can sensationalize it.

I woke up at 5:30 AM this morning (lunch time in Istanbul, about 12:30 PM) and while I do my morning stretching I watch CNBC who was showing live feed from Taksim square and commenting on how quiet it was. Now there was activity in the early morning hours (Istanbul time) where the government was breaking up the Occupy protesters (yes, this does correlate well with Occupy Wall Street IMO) which all of the news sources were reporting on (check out the news feed and see the long shadows of the morning sun). I came down to my office and looked at USA Today on my computer whose reporting made it look like all hell was breaking loose in Istanbul. Of course, it was old news as nothing was happening in Taksim Square now.

BTW Taksim square is a very small part of Istanbul, and while there are a couple nice restaurants there and a lot of shopping, there is plenty to do in Istanbul like the Blue Mosque, Spice Market, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, and the whole Asian side of Istanbul that are no where near Taksim square.

I'll be very surprised if cruises are diverted from Istanbul. And if they are cancelled with the current level of activity (or lack thereof), I personally would question the judgement of that cruise line's management. JMHO

FWIW, I am one to be cautious. I did cancel a trip to Japan in the weeks following the Fukushima nuclear fallout a couple years ago. Even that may have been overkill. I would not hesitate going to Istanbul right now.

I did like the picture of the graffiti in Taksim Square that referred to "Prime Minister Ned Stark". LOL Actual quote from what was written on the sidewalk that surrounds the Mustafa Kemal Ataturk statue at Taksim Square: "Basbakan Ned Stark" - link to image provided below:

People%20take%20photographs%20and%20others%20read%20anti-government%20graffiti%20painted%20on%20the%20ground%20in%20front%20of%20Mustafa%20Kemal%20Ataturk%27s%20statue%20founder%20of%20Turkey%20at%20the%20Taksim%20square%20in%20Istanbul.jpg

You and I must be watching different stations on TV..I saw a full blown protest in Taksim Square with lots of vehicle fires and tear gas being used..in fact I am watching it now..

Jancruz1

Funny thing about this is most print and even online versions of newspapers (USA Today and NY Times) tend to report old news if they can sensationalize it.

I woke up at 5:30 AM this morning (lunch time in Istanbul, about 12:30 PM) and while I do my morning stretching I watch CNBC who was showing live feed from Taksim square and commenting on how quiet it was. Now there was activity in the early morning hours (Istanbul time) where the government was breaking up the Occupy protesters (yes, this does correlate well with Occupy Wall Street IMO) which all of the news sources were reporting on (check out the news feed and see the long shadows of the morning sun). I came down to my office and looked at USA Today on my computer whose reporting made it look like all hell was breaking loose in Istanbul. Of course, it was old news as nothing was happening in Taksim Square now.

BTW Taksim square is a very small part of Istanbul, and while there are a couple nice restaurants there and a lot of shopping, there is plenty to do in Istanbul like the Blue Mosque, Spice Market, Grand Bazaar, Topkapi Palace, Hagia Sophia, and the whole Asian side of Istanbul that are no where near Taksim square.

I'll be very surprised if cruises are diverted from Istanbul. And if they are cancelled with the current level of activity (or lack thereof), I personally would question the judgement of that cruise line's management. JMHO

FWIW, I am one to be cautious. I did cancel a trip to Japan in the weeks following the Fukushima nuclear fallout a couple years ago. Even that may have been overkill. I would not hesitate going to Istanbul right now.

I did like the picture of the graffiti in Taksim Square that referred to "Prime Minister Ned Stark". LOL Actual quote from what was written on the sidewalk that surrounds the Mustafa Kemal Ataturk statue at Taksim Square: "Basbakan Ned Stark" - link to image provided below:

People%20take%20photographs%20and%20others%20read%20anti-government%20graffiti%20painted%20on%20the%20ground%20in%20front%20of%20Mustafa%20Kemal%20Ataturk%27s%20statue%20founder%20of%20Turkey%20at%20the%20Taksim%20square%20in%20Istanbul.jpg

Yes, it appears they are back at it.

Here are some live feeds from Taksim square: http://www.inquisitr.com/697862/turkey-protests-watch-the-taksim-square-live-stream/

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=69a_1370983349&comments=1

As I said before, with this level of activity I wouldn't hesitate to visit Istanbul.

They must be the only ones up as it's about 1:30 AM there.

Here are some live feeds from Taksim square posted by Fam_Cruise

http://www.inquisitr.com/697862/turk...e-live-stream/

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=69a_1...349&comments=1

After looking at the above posted live feed from Takeim Square certainly didn't quell any concerns I have about visiting Istanbul during these disturbances. CNN just had live feed on the evening news and even past midnight it appeared to be a dangerous place to be. It appears I am more cautious than some posters on this forum

Agreed--this is a well-behaved, centralized and confined demonstration. Appears to be mostly students, as I see a lot of backpacks--plus, there are something like 4 large universities within a square mile distance.

Remember the Paris riots a few years ago, where 7000+ cars were burned? That didn't seem to bother the tourists much.

I have a cruise RT Istanbul in August

I am hoping there are lots of cancellations and I get a great upgrade.

You cannot go anywhere in the world today.

Just yesterday there were riots and demonstrations in London, some safety issues in India -- we stay away from South Tucson.

We just booked 2 1/2 weeks in Egypt for February.

I hope it all works out well. Istanbul is one of our very favorite cities. We had an interesting discussion with a Turkish businessman last time we were there. We expressed our concern about whether Turkey was becoming less secular. It was his opinion that most Turkish people are in the middle. I hope he is right and that the current Prime Minister doesn't upset the applecart anymore than he already has.

Un-named cruise line employees detained on dock at Turkey. Any western looking person held up on dock due to un-rest in the city. There is no way in HELL I'd go to Turkey !!!

And you can add, all of North Africa, west Africa and eastern Africa and EGYPT...

While travel is and adventure so some.. so is War to others...quoting Chicago DC or NYC violence is not even in the same ball game. I am thankfull that I have seen all the places I wanted to do years ago....

That's why I now live and travel in the south and central pacific.:D

This just posted on our roll call

We disembarked in Istanbul last Monday. Caught the tram from the port to our hotel, and then the tram from the hotel to the Blue Mosque area for shopping and again that night for dinner. We felt totally safe and watching CNN that night it was hard to believe we were in the same city.

There is NO evidence of any issue, troubles or discontent in the Mosque/Bazaar area. People were going about their daily business as usual.

I have posted a full review with pictures if you are interested.

Posting about what happened in Istanbul a week ago has nothing to do with what is happening there now. An example would be that a week ago people weren't evacuating because of fires in Colorado but they are definitely evacuating now.

I watched a live feed from Istanbul last night and it sure wasn't a place I would have wanted to be near.

If you were staying in Oceania's hotel (the Ritz) last night -- you would have been choking from the tear gas. Also if you were in the Grand Hyatt (that is where CNN was with there gas masks on) you would also be in trouble.

Just be cautious. Common sense rule the day.

We just recently got back from our cruise that started in Istanbul just before the riots broke out. I never noticed any tensions in the areas that we visited with a private guide. In fact, I thought the people in Turkey were some of the nicest I've met while traveling (for instance if someone accidentally bumps into you walking, they won't just say sorry, they will stop and ask if you are ok). While, I hated trying to get through the Istanbul airport (because they are terribly inefficient and it took forever), I wouldn't hesitate to go to Istanbul again. I'm glad the Turkish people are standing up to their leadership if he is pushing an agenda that the Turkish people do not agree with.

Thank you for this current information. We realize that the tension is far from most tourist activities. We, of course, were worried at first since we are on Nautica Athens to Istanbul, Oct. 8, 2013 roll call. There are not many people on that roll call so if you want please join. http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1651733

We were offered that deal to extend our November crossing to istanbul, and turned it down. It did first appear before the "troubles" began. If we had decided to do it, I guess I would have been a bit uneasy, but I'm confident that Oceania will do the right thing if the situation deteriorates between now and November. I sure hope that Turkey manages to get settled down--terrific city, Istanbul.

The cruise line does not like to put guests in harm's way. If the protest continue, you may have your cruise changed. I was in Istanbul 3 years ago. Stayed at the Hilton near Taksim Sq. We walked through the sq. many times. It is very crowded and traffic can be bad. I saw videos on the TV with scenes from places that I visited. The stores ad restaurants looked like a war scene. If the cruise line does put you in hotels in Istanbul, I hope that the demonstrations are over....or perhaps, they will put you in hotels in the old city where things have been very calm.

Archived