NCL Haven or Rccl solarium

shaun07

I am thinking of trying the new Quantum of the seas. I regularly sail in the Haven so I am concerned that I am spoiled, but with the growing concern over behavior in the haven I am wondering if anyone has sailed in the Haven and on Rccl and if they could offer any insights into if the solarium could sub for the Haven. Also any general insights would be awesome! Thank you. :)

ps

I do not have Kids so the adult only solarium is more then ok with me

I am thinking of trying the new Quantum of the seas. I regularly sail in the Haven so I am concerned that I am spoiled, but with the growing concern over behavior in the haven I am wondering if anyone has sailed in the Haven and on Rccl and if they could offer any insights into if the solarium could sub for the Haven. Also any general insights would be awesome! Thank you. :)

ps

Two completely different spaces. I guess I missed the massive growing concern over behavior in the Haven. I did see the thread were 3 posters had issues with a lack of parental control of the 1000s that cruise in Havens every year. Reminds of years ago when someone claimed on the boards they found a dead rate in their cabin on Pride of Aloha and before we knew posts everywhere the ship was infested with rats

ps

I have complete faith in NCL. I do believe that they will find a solution for those of us who experienced an issue.

Cherie

Two completely different spaces. I guess I missed the massive growing concern over behavior in the Haven. I did see the thread were 3 posters had issues with a lack of parental control of the 1000s that cruise in Havens every year. Reminds of years ago when someone claimed on the boards they found a dead rate in their cabin on Pride of Aloha and before we knew posts everywhere the ship was infested with rats

In my thread I reiterated many times over that the Haven can be a truly wonderful experience.

Cherie

In my thread I reiterated many times over that the Haven can be a truly wonderful experience.

Cherie

I know you did but your experience is spreading like a virus as the norm for the Haven. Sad but true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I know you did but your experience is spreading like a virus as the norm for the Haven. Sad but true.

Jim, my intention was to shed light on the issue I experienced twice in a row and the staff did not have a protocol to address it. In hindsight, I wish I had dealt with CS only and not started the thread that at times got wildly out of control.

Cherie

Jim, my intention was to shed light on the issue I experienced twice in a row and the staff did not have a protocol to address it. In hindsight, I wish I had dealt with CS only and not started the thread that at times got wildly out of control.

Cherie

I am glad you posted about your experience. There is no reason people shouldn't know what can happen in the "Haven" and it also lets NCL know that they might need to tweek things. Sunshine is a wonderful thing.

Gosh, okay, I sailed on the Mariner of the Seas back in 2007 and I really liked the solarium on that ship. Obviously very different from quantum. As I recall, there were a few kids that would pass through but for the most part it was adults only and i spent a lot of time there.

I have not been on breakaway or Epic yet, but from what I have read and the photos I have seen, I think the solarium concept most closely matches vibe and posh- adults only, less congested, padded loungers etc.

I think it would be hard to top the Haven though. After sailing on this one RCL cruise (balcony cabin) which was a great cruise, btw, our next cruise was on the Pearl and in the Haven and in my mind the Haven and Freestyle just trumped balcony and set dining times on RCL. Their newer ships have changed with more pay restaurants so maybe I would like it.

For now, however, I have no plans to jump ship from ncl! I did post about one awful family on one of my NCL trips (on Nalagh's post) but stated I thought this was anomalous. It wasn't something that I complained about but it is possible (although I hope unlikely!) you could be stuck with people like that.

Overall, I think NCL and the Haven will be nearly impossible to top! Which is why ew have three suites booked in the Haven in Bermuda in July. Next up for us is Alaska (I think) and it hasn't even occurred to me to shop other lines...this will most likely be a haven suite on NCL as well. The other nice thing is that the ncl haven is just smaller and we have met some really fabulous people there-i don't see that happening as easy in a solarium type of setting.

let us know what you pick!

Gosh, okay, I sailed on the Mariner of the Seas back in 2007 and I really liked the solarium on that ship. Obviously very different from quantum. As I recall, there were a few kids that would pass through but for the most part it was adults only and i spent a lot of time there.

I have not been on breakaway or Epic yet, but from what I have read and the photos I have seen, I think the solarium concept most closely matches vibe and posh- adults only, less congested, padded loungers etc.

I think it would be hard to top the Haven though. After sailing on this one RCL cruise (balcony cabin) which was a great cruise, btw, our next cruise was on the Pearl and in the Haven and in my mind the Haven and Freestyle just trumped balcony and set dining times on RCL. Their newer ships have changed with more pay restaurants so maybe I would like it.

For now, however, I have no plans to jump ship from ncl! I did post about one awful family on one of my NCL trips (on Nalagh's post) but stated I thought this was anomalous. It wasn't something that I complained about but it is possible (although I hope unlikely!) you could be stuck with people like that.

Overall, I think NCL and the Haven will be nearly impossible to top! Which is why ew have three suites booked in the Haven in Bermuda in July. Next up for us is Alaska (I think) and it hasn't even occurred to me to shop other lines...this will most likely be a haven suite on NCL as well. The other nice thing is that the ncl haven is just smaller and we have met some really fabulous people there-i don't see that happening as easy in a solarium type of setting.

let us know what you pick!

Thank you very much for your post. I have by no means given up on Ncl, in fact I have 2 cruises booked for 2014 in the haven onboard the breakaway. I am looking to book the Gem but I am concerned about the ships with smaller Havens. I loved the gem when I sailed on it and I totally agree that the vast majority of Haven guests are wonderful. I just want to see if RCCL's solarium is better or worse.

ps

Shaun,

My experience in Haven has only been on Jewel Class ships (No Epic or Breakaway, yet) but with that being said I find that the RCCL Solarium in my opinion does not even begin to compare.

I find the Haven to be quiet, serene and love the Courtyard Butler.

In the Solarium, my experience being with Allure and Oasis, I find it noisy, crowded and at the risk of sounding snotty :eek: it lacks the exclusivity feel of the Haven.

PS....thank you for all your input on BreakAway's S6 as I now have booked one for 11/23/14!

Shaun,

My experience in Haven has only been on Jewel Class ships (No Epic or Breakaway, yet) but with that being said I find that the RCCL Solarium in my opinion does not even begin to compare.

I find the Haven to be quiet, serene and love the Courtyard Butler.

In the Solarium, my experience being with Allure and Oasis, I find it noisy, crowded and at the risk of sounding snotty :eek: it lacks the exclusivity feel of the Haven.

PS....thank you for all your input on BreakAway's S6 as I now have booked one for 11/23/14!

Your welcome and thank you for your input here :)

Royal Caribbean's solarium is nothing but an adults only pool area. It doesn't even remotely compare to NCL's Haven, IMO.

From what I have read about the solarium the haven pool area on the jewel class is basically the same thing except smaller, allows kids and has no view.

I have so much faith in NCL, I just booked an S6 on the Getaway TA! :D

Cherie

I enjoy Ncl too. But so far I have not read anything to make me think I wont enjoy rccl just as much or even more.

I enjoy Ncl too. But so far I have not read anything to make me think I wont enjoy rccl just as much or even more.

Me either but...

1. I am Platinum on NCL

2. I feel at home on NCL

3. I know how truly wonderful the haven can be!

Cherie

Cherie

And it doesn't matter if 1 out of 1000 cruises is the one with issues if you are on that 1!

One rat. Enough.

I do and on its worse day it is far better then the pool deck :D

for that money It better be!!!

Someone should start a thread about how the Haven compares to the rccl solarium

for that money It better be!!!

Someone should start a thread about how the Haven compares to the rccl solarium

You have and they don't compare. Two completely different spaces and experiences. Think of nothing more then a covered pool with no kids.

Archived