NCL Haven or Rccl solarium

shaun07

I wasnt sure if people knew what the thread was about as it keeps getting hijacked

you have and they don't compare. Two completely different spaces and experiences. Think of nothing more then a covered pool with no kids..

sounds good to me.

From what I have read about the solarium the haven pool area on the jewel class is basically the same thing except smaller, allows kids and has no view.

I don't think making comparisons is necessarily a bad thing. Hell, if I didn't compare, I would still be booked on a different cruise on a different line still thinking that the suite perks I was getting were top rate. Comparing helped me find NCL's Haven and suite life. :D

Gosh, okay, I sailed on the Mariner of the Seas back in 2007 and I really liked the solarium on that ship. Obviously very different from quantum. As I recall, there were a few kids that would pass through but for the most part it was adults only and i spent a lot of time there.

I have not been on breakaway or Epic yet, but from what I have read and the photos I have seen, I think the solarium concept most closely matches vibe and posh- adults only, less congested, padded loungers etc.

I think it would be hard to top the Haven though. After sailing on this one RCL cruise (balcony cabin) which was a great cruise, btw, our next cruise was on the Pearl and in the Haven and in my mind the Haven and Freestyle just trumped balcony and set dining times on RCL. Their newer ships have changed with more pay restaurants so maybe I would like it.

For now, however, I have no plans to jump ship from ncl! I did post about one awful family on one of my NCL trips (on Nalagh's post) but stated I thought this was anomalous. It wasn't something that I complained about but it is possible (although I hope unlikely!) you could be stuck with people like that.

Overall, I think NCL and the Haven will be nearly impossible to top! Which is why ew have three suites booked in the Haven in Bermuda in July. Next up for us is Alaska (I think) and it hasn't even occurred to me to shop other lines...this will most likely be a haven suite on NCL as well. The other nice thing is that the ncl haven is just smaller and we have met some really fabulous people there-i don't see that happening as easy in a solarium type of setting.

let us know what you pick!

Shaun,

My experience in Haven has only been on Jewel Class ships (No Epic or Breakaway, yet) but with that being said I find that the RCCL Solarium in my opinion does not even begin to compare.

I find the Haven to be quiet, serene and love the Courtyard Butler.

In the Solarium, my experience being with Allure and Oasis, I find it noisy, crowded and at the risk of sounding snotty :eek: it lacks the exclusivity feel of the Haven.

PS....thank you for all your input on BreakAway's S6 as I now have booked one for 11/23/14!

Okay, FIRST, you cannot compare an older ship like the Mariner to a new ship like the Breakaway...2nd, RCI has not had fixed dining times in 5 years ( at least )..it is all "anytime dining" now...so yes, their newer ships have changed..standard cabins & balcony sizes on Royal much bigger than NCL ( I.E. Freedom balcony cabin 214 SF + 63 SF balcony vs. 172 for most NCL ships + 32-42 SF balcony..big difference)....thirdly, the RCI Solarium is NOT exclusive...anybody over 18 can get in, with or with out a suite...I thought the Solarium on Oasis/ Allure was amazing..all those pools and come on, those canti-levered infinity hot tubs that stick out over the sea are simply fabulous- there is NOTHING like it on any ship anywhere...that is like comparing a Sheraton to a Ritz- Carlton and saying, "sorry, the Sheraton wasn't NEARLY as nice or posh as the Ritz"....I am Silver on NCL, Diamond on Royal, love both, but please be fair when comparing ships ( which is soooo hard to do- they all have pluses & minuses..we've done 28 cruises on all but Costa, we know..) Just my HO....

Big Al

Come Sail Away

I recently started a similar thread NCL Haven vs Princess Sanctuary. At first sight, the Sanctuary was so much nicer than the Haven and also an adults only area. The private cabanas with tv's, sofas, overlooking the ocean, etc. It really looked like heaven until I was told how difficult it is to buy a pass into the Sanctuary. Someones said they start lining up at 6am to get on board. Not sure I would want to go THAT far to secure a private getaway. So I may stick with the Haven. Although the way NCL is packing over 60 suites (and Epic 75 suites) into the Haven creates an environment just like the main pool deck IMO. The Haven on the Jewel class cannot compare to Haven since it is so much quiter and what the name means..... Haven. I have sailed Epic twice and did not find the pool area in the Haven tranquil at all.

I don't think making comparisons is necessarily a bad thing. Hell, if I didn't compare, I would still be booked on a different cruise on a different line still thinking that the suite perks I was getting were top rate. Comparing helped me find NCL's Haven and suite life. :D

Thank you thats all I am trying to do. We like to spend our days just lounging and relaxing in the Haven and I want to see if I could do the same in the solarium

. those canti-levered infinity hot tubs that stick out over the sea are simply fabulous- there is NOTHING like it on any ship anywhere...

I dont know what this is but I am IN!! Sounds amazing!!! I am off to youtube

I dont know what this is but I am IN!! Sounds amazing!!! I am off to youtube

Shaun- You have NEVER seen the canti-levered hot tubs on the RCI ships ( Freedom,Liberty, Independence, Oasis & Allure of the Seas) ??? They are spectacular...they are ONLY on 5 ships currently..I'm sure you can find them on YOU TUBE.....let me know what you think...those Flowriders surfing pools and the ice-skating shows don't suck, either!!

Big Al

Shaun- You have NEVER seen the canti-levered hot tubs on the RCI ships ( Freedom,Liberty, Independence, Oasis & Allure of the Seas) ??? They are spectacular...they are ONLY on 5 ships currently..I'm sure you can find them on YOU TUBE.....let me know what you think...those Flowriders surfing pools and the ice-skating shows don't suck, either!!

Big Al

They are amazing!!! Wow . I dont think quantum has them :(

From what I have read about the solarium the haven pool area on the jewel class is basically the same thing except smaller, allows kids and has no view.

Every adult on a Royal Caribbean ship is allowed to use the Solarium. Use of the Haven is restricted a small number of passengers, including children, who are in Haven Suites. So we're talking literally thousands of passengers who can potentially be vying for space in the Solarium as opposed to dozens using the NCL Haven.

Royal Caribbean also reserves the right to open up use of the Solarium to children in the even of inclement weather.

Every adult on a Royal Caribbean ship is allowed to use the Solarium. Use of the Haven is restricted a small number of passengers, including children, who are in Haven Suites. So we're talking literally thousands of passengers who can potentially be vying for space in the Solarium as opposed to dozens using the NCL Haven.

Royal Caribbean also reserves the right to open up use of the Solarium to children in the even of inclement weather.

I have read that but I believe the quatum also has a separate indoor pool open to everyone. I think its a great idea since they will be sailing out of ny.

Archived