Carnival Splendor 05/25-06/02

Just got off the Splendor earlier today. Overall my wife and I had a very good time. Below are some of my observations ( Note: Some of this I already posted in the All Things Splendor NYC thread)

Chair hogs were pretty bad on this one. We had to get out by the pool by 7:30 or 7:45 AM or the seats would be limited or almost non existent especially by the AFT pool. Most of the chairs had a book or towel, but only about 20% had people in them until around 9:30 or 10:00. I think on the 11th deck closer to the slide it was a little easier to find chairs after 9:00 or 10:00 though.

One day a Carnival team member was going around noting how long chairs had been saved but other than that day Carnival wasn't really enforcing the chair reserving rule ( 40 minutes).

Also it was especially bad in the El Morocco lounge ( where they have The Punchliner Comedy Club) before most of the comedy shows as people were saving multiple seats at a time.

They would show concerts every morning on the big screen at 9 AM ( including one Beach Boys Concert that they replayed at least 4 or 5 times)

I would have liked it if it was a little quieter early in the morning by the main pool. The retractable roof over the main pool was really a nice option though as we had poor weather on 3 or 4 days of the cruise

Breakfast buffet options were ok ( loved those chocolate mini muffins that tasted just liked Betty Crocker cake though) I've always liked the deli sandwiches for lunch plus I tried the burrito bar a few times which was very good. We ate in the MDR for dinner every night except for one night when we went to Pinnacle Steakhouse ( I highly recommend this as it was terrific) Service in the MDR was also excellent

They had terrific comedy shows in Punchliners ( aka El Morocco lounge) especially the two guys, Macio and Roman. We went to almost every one of the evening comedy shows ( didn't go to to the Punchliners Comedy brunch though)

We also really enjoyed going to Superstar Live Karaoke with the live band in El Morocco ( even though I don't sing) The Splendor Band is great, especially the lead singer Matty/ Maddy?- she was really talented.

Didn't see The Beat but Vrooom was an excellent show ( I enjoyed it more than Ticket to Ride)

As someone mentioned earlier we had major issues disembarking at Grand Turk ( everyone was piled up on the stairs for close to 30 minutes because they only had one gangway open). Grand Turk was fun though. We finally had nice weather that day and spent a good portion of the day by the beach and pool at Margaritaville. Half Moon Cay was pretty much a washout as there was a steady rain for the entire time we were there.

We did the Atlantis excursion at Nassau. It was raining again in the morning and Carnival was offering refunds because of the poor weather. My wife and I decided to go anyway and didn't regret it. The weather cleared up and we had a great time at the park ( Although the park is too big to see in only one day)

We did go to The Quest ( adult scavenger) but we didn't participate. It got real crazy in there. I am surprised someone hasn't been seriously injured during this show the way people rush the stage with their scavenger items.

The last night they had the Carnival Legends show( passengers dressed as Tina Turner, Elvis, Michael Jackson, Sinatra, Garth Brooks, etc) and 2 more comedy shows. I actually liked Tex as the cruise director.

To summarize, we had a very nice trip and definitely wouldn't hesitate booking The Splendor again. I think I also prefer the newer Splendor over the older Miracle.

Splendor was our first cruise (out of Long Beach) in 09, and we have been talking about going again to revisit. Maybe we will make it again sometime next year. We liked the ship, despite all the negative talk of all the pink circles!

Thanks for the review! Having sailed Splendor three times, I've never had any problems with chair hogs. These were all Mexican Riveria cruises out of SoCal, so maybe that makes a difference??:confused: Who knows. Glad you had a nice cruise. :)

Splendor was our first cruise (out of Long Beach) in 09, and we have been talking about going again to revisit. Maybe we will make it again sometime next year. We liked the ship, despite all the negative talk of all the pink circles!

If you have never done an NY sail away, you are in for quite a spectacular treat! You get awesome views of the Empire State Building, the new Freedom Tower AND the Statue of Liberty!

If you have never done an NY sail away, you are in for quite a spectacular treat! You get awesome views of the Empire State Building, the new Freedom Tower AND the Statue of Liberty!

I am definitely looking forward to that, a I have never done a NY sail away!

Thanks for your review, from a fellow Queens resident! We're doing the same itinerary in July.

I'm disappointed they're not more on top of the chair hogs, but I have no patience for that and will have no shame about removing someone's junk if they haven't been there for an hour. :p

OMG!!! Is about all I can say! It was the worst experience I have ever had on a cruise, My mom and Aunt being in wheelchairs had to wait over an hour to just get off the ship!! I have never in my life seen so many rude people that would not let one wheelchair onto the elevators, RUDE!!! There was plenty of room for at least one to get on but no one would move over... It was the most unorganized debarking I have seen and the Staff on the Splendor need to enforce something better for the Handicap to get off first!! Other then this issue the Cruise was great , even with the rain in Half Moon Cay we still all had a blast!!!

I went on the same itinerary the week prior to yours.

I must admit the chair hogs is a BIG BIG problem, it was literally impossible, there was no point in fight or waiting for it, so my friends and I found other stuff to do:mad:

I was discussing the situation at El Morocco (since those comedy shows are super popular). The place gets so packed my friends and I had to come 30-45mins ahead just to get a decent seat! I was speaking to my friend as to why they don't use the theatre for the comedy show since the stage isn't being used, that would make it much more convenient and probably would even draw a bigger crowd!

Man that sucks u guys experienced bad weather, :( we had great sunny weather( for the most part).

As for the Grand Turk problem, I do not recall having this issue at all, getting on and off was a breeze for us, however we didnt get off until later in the day, perhaps it cleared up by then?

OMG!!! Is about all I can say! It was the worst experience I have ever had on a cruise, My mom and Aunt being in wheelchairs had to wait over an hour to just get off the ship!! I have never in my life seen so many rude people that would not let one wheelchair onto the elevators, RUDE!!! There was plenty of room for at least one to get on but no one would move over... It was the most unorganized debarking I have seen and the Staff on the Splendor need to enforce something better for the Handicap to get off first!! Other then this issue the Cruise was great , even with the rain in Half Moon Cay we still all had a blast!!!

I'm sorry you had a difficult time, but can I make a suggestion? Those people were probably not innately rude, but more possibly they were preoccupied with their own thoughts.

I know I do that. I have my mind on other things, and don't always notice the things I should. I don't think I'm alone in that preoccupation. I'll pass a car waiting to exit, or a person in a wheel chair waiting for an opening or a door. And, too late, I think - I should have let that person go. But by then the opportunity is gone. I am sorry - but the person is still waiting.

So all of us should make more of an effort to be aware of those around us - and not just the people in the wheel chairs or the walkers. We live in a world with a lot of distractions, and I guess we need to be less distracted.

But ... and you knew there was a but :) ... perhaps you could help them out, and yourself at the same time. If you said politely (politely ALWAYS is the key) - "would you mind, letting us in," - I'm willing to bet you don't get too many who will say, "no." And if they do - after you've asked nicely - then Karma will get them in the end - I've heard she's like that! :D

I went on the same itinerary the week prior to yours.

I must admit the chair hogs is a BIG BIG problem, it was literally impossible, there was no point in fight or waiting for it, so my friends and I found other stuff to do:mad:

I was discussing the situation at El Morocco (since those comedy shows are super popular). The place gets so packed my friends and I had to come 30-45mins ahead just to get a decent seat! I was speaking to my friend as to why they don't use the theatre for the comedy show since the stage isn't being used, that would make it much more convenient and probably would even draw a bigger crowd!

Man that sucks u guys experienced bad weather, :( we had great sunny weather( for the most part).

As for the Grand Turk problem, I do not recall having this issue at all, getting on and off was a breeze for us, however we didnt get off until later in the day, perhaps it cleared up by then?

Fortunately my cabin was on the lido deck and it was literally a 1 or 2 minute walk from my cabin to the main or AFT pool. I would get up around 7:30 go out to the pool for a bit while I grabbed a quick bite. I would then go back to my cabin hop in the shower and be back in 10-15 minutes. There were a few days where I wanted to sleep in though and when I got to the pool area around 8:15 most of the chairs by the main and AFT pool were already reserved.

For the comedy shows I think they do them in El Morocco since they want it to be a more intimate setting and feel like you are in actual comedy club. I agree they were super popular and if you didn't get to the lounge at least 20 minutes before it was very tough to get 2 seats together

• 1 year later...

I have to laugh because we were on the same sailing. But remember things differently.

Half Moon Cay I only remember it raining for maybe 15 minutes.

Grand Turk we were off the ship first thing so we did not have much of a line up.

I remember one rough day, a couple of overcast days but otherwise good weather.

The chair hogs were terrible, and the comedy club was great.

Food was good not great. Not sure if I think the extra $ for the steakhouse was worth it.

The ships decor just made me dizzy, I think that is what I disliked the most. :-)

but we also have a great time!

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Forums mobile app

Edited by baffy

...I think I also prefer the newer Splendor over the older Miracle.

I enjoyed your review greatly but think I have to disagree with this statement. The Spirit-class is my favorite Carnival class, just the right size and all of the amenities I need (except possibly for the Cloud 9 Spa), so I actually miss both the Legend and Miracle out of NYC badly. Then again, your mileage may vary...and if we are indeed getting the Vista, I guess megaships are all we'll be left with.