Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

I have been following this thread for over a couple of moths, I have finally decided to become one of Cruise Critic's members. I am delighted of becoming part of this thread!:D:D. I am super Exited

Edited by salchi-chimi

I have been following this thread for over a couple of moths, I have finally decided to become one of Cruise Critic's members. I am delighted of becoming part of this thread!:D:D. I am super Exited

Hi, Glad you've joined C.C. Things are quiet in this thread right now. The only big changes taking place are in the (second) Anthem of the Seas section/megablock sitting in front of the Quantum of the Seas. The QN is progressing slowly on the outside. We're missing all the good stuff happening on the inside and at the aft end (RipCord, FlowRider, etc.).

August 3rd can't come quick enough. :D

You and me both. What's the hold up?!

No use asking when RCI 'normally' reveals renderings of the rest of the ship? :D

In the meantime enjoy what is likely a visitor's photo taken during a special VIP visit inside the hall. Jealous!

34e329c07db2e6d67e9933ab50cb2aa7.jpg

Welcome to Cruise Critic! As Lloyd said we are having sort of a lull on this thread. I predict some excitement is on the horizon though. :D

Denise

Welcome to Cruise Critic! As Lloyd said we are having sort of a lull on this thread. I predict some excitement is on the horizon though. :D

Denise

Thank You for Welcoming Me, I agree we want more Renderings from RCI, and some interior pictures of the construction

No use asking when RCI 'normally' reveals renderings of the rest of the ship? :D

Good point Lloyd, since Oasis there is no 'normal' to the way RCI reveals their ships anymore. They have yet to publish complete deck plans for the Quantum class. At least give us that.

New webcam image ...

[ATTACH]317812[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wondering how much forward this new MEGABLOCK will extend. I.e., how much of a 'bow section' will be added on after the two MEGABLOCKs are joined?

Wondering how much forward this new MEGABLOCK will extend. I.e., how much of a 'bow section' will be added on after the two MEGABLOCKs are joined?

I checked out a photo of the first 120 meter megablock to determine where it started and stopped. The yellow square represents the first megablock. It filled the remaining space in the hall's basin. If they build the second megablock to max as well (120 meters) then it should be represented by the red square. Sound about right?

<a href=Anthem_of_the_Seasmegablocks_zps29c34c1c

I checked out a photo of the first 120 meter megablock to determine where it started and stopped. The yellow square represents the first megablock. It filled the remaining space in the hall's basin. If they build the second megablock to max as well (120 meters) then it should be represented by the red square. Sound about right?

Thanks For making the nice drawing for us to see both mega block sections.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Forums

Anthem_of_the_Seasmegablocks_zps29c34c1c.jpg

That's a big chunk of bow left to attach to the megablocks.

Almost a megablock itself.

Although not directly related Qauntum/Anthem blocks I thought this was interesting bit of news. Could they be contemplating a fourth Quantum ship plus another S-Class?

Meyer Closes in on Turku, Plus Norwegian and Royal/Celebrity Orders?

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11283-meyer-closes-in-on-turku-plus-norwegian-and-royalcelebrity-orders.html

Quote:

Rumors suggest Meyer Werft and the Finnish Government are signatures away from a deal to see STX Finland end up in the hands of the German shipbuilding company.

Meanwhile, further rumors, from multiple suppliers involved in the bidding process, claim that a Norwegian Cruise Line two-ship order with a 200,000-ton prototype ship will go to Turku. Norwegian has made it no secret they are very happy building ships with the German yard, which has certain size limitations due to being on a river.

If all goes to plan, Cruise Industry News understands Meyer will shortly announce news concerning future building slots in Papenburg going to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

End quote:

Although not directly related Qauntum/Anthem blocks I thought this was interesting bit of news. Could they be contemplating a fourth Quantum ship plus another S-Class?

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11283-meyer-closes-in-on-turku-plus-norwegian-and-royalcelebrity-orders.html

Quote:

Rumors suggest Meyer Werft and the Finnish Government are signatures away from a deal to see STX Finland end up in the hands of the German shipbuilding company.

Meanwhile, further rumors, from multiple suppliers involved in the bidding process, claim that a Norwegian Cruise Line two-ship order with a 200,000-ton prototype ship will go to Turku. Norwegian has made it no secret they are very happy building ships with the German yard, which has certain size limitations due to being on a river.

If all goes to plan, Cruise Industry News understands Meyer will shortly announce news concerning future building slots in Papenburg going to Royal Caribbean and Celebrity.

End quote:

Great news. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Hope Turku has a better webcam. ;)

Would it not make sense to have block 2 a little bit longer. Perhaps just another maybe 10 meters right up to where the hull takes an upward turn. That would also put it forward of the superstructure that rises above the solarium.

Great news. Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Hope Turku has a better webcam. ;)

unfortunately when they were building the oasis class the only pictures we could get was from another website that one of the guys that worked at yard was posting. Lets hope with Meyer Werft taking over they will place a web cam there as well.

Would it not make sense to have block 2 a little bit longer. Perhaps just another maybe 10 meters right up to where the hull takes an upward turn. That would also put it forward of the superstructure that rises above the solarium.

That would be better, but as TasL said, there is no extra space to make it longer. The 1st 120 meter Anthem megablock was squeezed into what was left of the basin. 120 meters seems to be about the max. length the 2nd section can be built before float out.

MEGABLOCK 1 ... No room to spare. :)

d38b040076ce8c2fb79d8458b168c424.jpga5b214dda980d06f526d3e57900cb969.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

Quote:

End quote:

A 200,000 GRT ship from NCL, can't even imagine how many passengers they would try to squeeze into their. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to just go to STX to have it built though. Not like they haven't built cruise ships before, especially of that scale. If they do announce this though RCCL will likely be looking to keep their cyclical decade streak going with a 300,000+ GRT delivery in 2019-2021.

That would be better, but as TasL said, there is no extra space to make it longer. The 1st 120 meter Anthem megablock was squeezed into what was left of the basin. 120 meters seems to be about the max. length the 2nd section can be built before float out.

MEGABLOCK 1 ... No room to spare. :)

d38b040076ce8c2fb79d8458b168c424.jpga5b214dda980d06f526d3e57900cb969.jpg

Thanks. Definitely no room to spare.

A 200,000 GRT ship from NCL, can't even imagine how many passengers they would try to squeeze into their. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to just go to STX to have it built though. Not like they haven't built cruise ships before, especially of that scale. If they do announce this though RCCL will likely be looking to keep their cyclical decade streak going with a 300,000+ GRT delivery in 2019-2021.

I agree totally ;) Thing is, the build list for Meyerwerft is so long having Turku's facilities at their disposal will be interesting. I'm also interested in some solstice spin-offs for celebrity being developed!

Also on the webcam - Mein Schiff 3 had a webcam image at Turku in a similar fashion to what Meyer do. So they could easily do it, whether they choose to is another matter ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

First thought I had was no way a 300,000+ GRT will be built but then it was not that long ago that no one expected to see over 200,000 GRT that gave us Oasis Class. You do make some valid points. I do also think that if NCL does contract MW for those ships we may see RCI decide on a Quantum IV as I doubt they would start a new class of ship already. But then again with RCI you never now.

First thought I had was no way a 300,000+ GRT will be built but then it was not that long ago that no one expected to see over 200,000 GRT that gave us Oasis Class. You do make some valid points. I do also think that if NCL does contract MW for those ships we may see RCI decide on a Quantum IV as I doubt they would start a new class of ship already. But then again with RCI you never now.

I have no doubt they've already got their next ship class pretty far advanced - Quantum as a concept I'm sure was fairly well advanced even when Oasis/Allure were under construction. Having said that I would expect a Quantum IV sooner or later! I'm assuming also that RCI will need to start thinking about the renewal process for the fleet with Legend et al coming up to 20 years of age now, let alone in the 2020s

Sent from my iPad using Forums