which island

The bigggest selection and variety can be found on St. Thomas, far more stores than anywhere else. However, as I tell everyone, be sure you know what you are buying. All of this stuff about tax free and duty free is a lot of nonsense. If you know your stuff you can usually get the same merchandise back home for the same price.

I always found St Maarten to be the best. Does your ship go there?

Maybe you can get the same at home, I don't know. But what fun is that?

I know we have gotten great prices on watches in the Carribean. Couldn't match them in the States.

celtic

Guest cruzr44
I was hoping to find something a little different away, then the same old stuff at home.

Kim

I also like to get a piece of jewelry (or two) on an island "just because". Yes I could shop at home, but I look forward to my souvenirs. I also say if you see something you really like, get it. You may not find it at the next stop.

I like St. Maarten much better than St. Thomas. The main street in Phillipsburg is loaded with shops so there is plenty of competition and the shop keepers are more than willing to bargain with you on price. And though I'm sure there are exceptions, for the most part I think the quality of goods sold on the island is very good. I have never had the impression of St. Maarten being a rip off kind of place.

Make sure you get a receipt and don't let them play games writing a receipt for a lower value than you paid.... jewelry is subject to the duty limits and customs may want proof of what you paid... they have been very demanding on jewelry with us before, I suspect it's a common item for people to try to get past the rules.

Gail,

We are going Oct 23, so we will be getting off as you are getting on ;), don't think I could wait another week, lol. You must be doing the western side, we did that last year on EOS, had a great time.

Kim

Kim - No, we're also doing the Eastern. I must have seen your Roll Call a while ago. I can remember that it said Eastern so I was surprised it wasn't alternating between the 2. Have you been to the ports before?

Gail

Gail,

We have never done the eastern side, so these are all new ports for us. Am trying to get as much info as I can before hand, we are taking our inlaws with us, so when that start asking what where doing, I have some idea lol.

Kim

Kim - You'll enjoy all the ports. This is our 1st time going to San Juan as a port. We've flown there many times to do the S. Caribbean which is our favorite. We haven't been to Nassau since our 1st cruise. St. Thomas & St. Maarten are beautiful. We have been to both a few times & like going to them.

Gail

St Mateen is best and St Thomas is second. Shop more than one store-often they have the same things at different prices.I bought a gold bracelet in St Marteen last year and it ranged from $250- $80 depending on the store. It was very unusual and I love it especially since I got the lower price. I stick to the ship recommended stores for jewelry so to be sure it is the real deal. I am no expert.

Been lucky so far-everything has appraised for more back home - at least twice.

If you are shopping for something particular-price it out at home first. I also was looking for something and it turned out I could do better at home -so I waited 'til I came home. That was the western carribean though and that's not particularly good for jewelry.

Archived