Advice on Oosterdam main deck outside cabin

ozscotart

Hello all,

We are planning to book Oosterdam New Zealand cruise from Sydney for October : I was looking at a main deck cat c outside port side thinking we would get a nice view. It seems from some comments in other threads this may not be the case, and that visibility isnt good from these cabins ? Would we be better booking a verandah for viewing from inside the cabin (south island of New Zealand not all that warm) ?

Thanks for any advice.

Roberta

This is from Joanie's Sticky:

C 1066 Large Ocean View Stateroom Deck 1 Main Deck

[

sm_doclove_IMG_4538-2.jpg--sm_doclove_IMG_4539.jpg

[

sm_doclove_IMG_4540.jpg

[

We liked this room because it had the feel of being a larger room then it actually was. We didn't feel cramped for space and felt that there was plenty of open space. The room is located near the main atrium and down the hall from the Vista Lounge.

[

Cruise Critic Member: doclove

In order to see out the windows, you either have tp kneel on the bed or hyou can have the beds separated so that you can stand and look out.

I sailed in 1115 on Oosterdam for 32 days, as a single. I had the beds separated in the theory that I could get closer to the window to see out. And have a bathtub. But the night stand was so deep, and then the windowsill deep, that it was a waste. If you want to sightsee out the window, you have to book on a ship where the head of the bed is not under the window. EM

We are also on the October Sydney to Auckland, we booked back in March and at that point affordable verandah rooms on port side were like hens teeth. You either paid the higher price or were put right at the front and seas can be rough across Bass Straight and the Tasman Sea. We ended up with a VC instead of the semi mid ships VF we were after at $300 more each.

If you are happy with starboard they weren't nearly as heavily booked but given the direction the Oosterdam is going, entry in ports, coastline viewing etc will be on the port side in New Zealand. I wouldn't worry too much about the Sounds as you will be able to view those from both sides. However Australian coastal viewing will be starboard but I would imagine we would be too far out to sea to see anything.

Another note is that we are going south during the end of spring, it can be quite chilly at that time of year on the south island especially, so if you have a verandah you will need to be rugged up. But then if you have an oceanview you will have to do the same for the Promenade Deck.

We love having a verandah and would not travel without one, but its basically economics - would you rather spend the extra cost on having an immediate view or extra shore tours, there is plenty of outside deck space on the Oosterdam.

Check out F6001 and F6002. We had 6001 once and it was a good view. The room is configured sideways so the bed is not against the window. You can stand right at the window and look out to the forward deck. It was very quiet and very smooth. Only downside was long walk to the food, but we got to work off some calories on the way back!

However, a veranda still gives you the best view. We had a veranda during really lousy cold weather once, and it was still nice to go out there for a quick peek and get some fresh air. We just didn't have the opportunity to have morning coffee or afternoon cocktails out there very often, as it was too cold and windy.

Bottom line on advice is - don't blow your budget on the room. You can always go to the Crows Nest for the best view ever. We have found we actually spend little time in our room - even on sea days we are out and about on the ship most of the time.

Archived